March 22, 2019, 01:47:43 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 175600 times)

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #440 on: December 24, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
2 quick questions: How long does it take to get the passport back after the interview?  How long is the visa good for to enter the US? 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
I cannot stress this enough guys:

BRING the correct Korean Police Checks!!! We saw two couples at our recent interview get rejected because of this.

You need to bring TWO types of Korean Police Checks. JUST like the current Packet III Instructions says. I think the OLD packet III instructions that circulates the internet only says to bring ONE type. You need 2 TYPES.

If you look carefully on your mailed packet III instructions, they give you 2 SAMPLE Forms that you need to hand in. Those are the ones you need to ask for and fill out. Don't let the Korean Police Officers tell you otherwise. To make things more clear, download the sample form PDFs on your phone and show them to the police officers if you can.

When I went to the police station I had to really INSIST that they give me the two. They said I was incorrect and only needed one. (Even though I showed them the KOREAN instructions and they even spoke perfect English) They caved in and gave me the two. (I went to the Yonsei Police Station location. If you go there, they should now know the correct instructions)

One of the Police Checks you get on the spot, and the other one takes 4-7 business days to be ready for pick up.

EDIT: I should specify that this is for MY case. My husband is American and I am Canadian.

If you are american and your spouse is Korean, the Korean spouse STILL needs TWO different documents but one of them is different than what I (Canadian spouse) had to hand in.
Point is, Just make sure you get the right paper kk?  :wink:

This is true, you do need *two* forms. However, you don't get rejected if you don't have them. They just send you to the police station near the area  to get it and come back.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #442 on: December 24, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »

BRING the correct Korean Police Checks!!! We saw two couples at our recent interview get rejected because of this.

You need to bring TWO types of Korean Police Checks. JUST like the current Packet III Instructions says. I think the OLD packet III instructions that circulates the internet only says to bring ONE type. You need 2 TYPES.

If you look carefully on your mailed packet III instructions, they give you 2 SAMPLE Forms that you need to hand in. Those are the ones you need to ask for and fill out. Don't let the Korean Police Officers tell you otherwise. To make things more clear, download the sample form PDFs on your phone and show them to the police officers if you can.

When I went to the police station I had to really INSIST that they give me the two. They said I was incorrect and only needed one. (Even though I showed them the KOREAN instructions and they even spoke perfect English) They caved in and gave me the two. (I went to the Yonsei Police Station location. If you go there, they should now know the correct instructions)

One of the Police Checks you get on the spot, and the other one takes 4-7 business days to be ready for pick up.

EDIT: I should specify that this is for MY case. My husband is American and I am Canadian.

If you are american and your spouse is Korean, the Korean spouse STILL needs TWO different documents but one of them is different than what I (Canadian spouse) had to hand in.

This is true, you do need *two* forms. However, you don't get rejected if you don't have them. They just send you to the police station near the area  to get it and come back.

Yes, that's correct. I should not have used the word "rejected".  8)

Offline ohar94

• Adventurer
« Reply #443 on: December 27, 2015, 05:24:56 PM »
My wife and I just received packet III, 7 weeks after the first embassy visit. 

Our excitement was cut-short by the realization that her passport will expire next month.  She must renew her passport which will mean that she will get a new passport number.  Has anyone else run into this problem before?... We wouldn't have to start all over again, right?  :huh:

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #444 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:46 PM »
Did anyone have any problems for NOT turning a W2 with your I-864 form? Working here in Korea we don't have one.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #445 on: December 31, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »
2 quick questions: How long does it take to get the passport back after the interview?  How long is the visa good for to enter the US? 
Did anyone have any problems for NOT turning a W2 with your I-864 form? Working here in Korea we don't have one.

If you work in Korea, they don't expect you to have the W2s. You don't have to hand it in because well, you don't get W2s. They understand that.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #446 on: December 31, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »

They say it takes a week to get the passport back. I got mine back in 2 days.

As far as your second question goes, it depends on what type of visa you apply for. If you apply for a CR-1 visa, the "green card" you get is good for 2 years. After to years, you will have to apply to get the "Conditional" part removed. If it's a normal Resident Visa, then the "green card" is good for 10 years i think.

Offline kjmerri2

• Adventurer
« Reply #447 on: December 31, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »

They say it takes a week to get the passport back. I got mine back in 2 days.

As far as your second question goes, it depends on what type of visa you apply for. If you apply for a CR-1 visa, the "green card" you get is good for 2 years. After to years, you will have to apply to get the "Conditional" part removed. If it's a normal Resident Visa, then the "green card" is good for 10 years i think.

From http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/after.html

"When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

If you haven't checked out the flowchart on that link above, I highly recommend going through it.  It's pretty thorough and conveniently breaks up the process for you.

Popeye2u's answer above only applies after you've been admitted into the US (meaning that you've cleared immigration in the airport), in which case you will receive the temporary Green Card.  From your question, I understood you to be asking about traveling after getting the initial visa from the embassy.   

Best of luck!

Offline juskajo

• Veteran
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
We just did the interview first thing Monday morning, got the visa in the mail Wednesday (the passport w/new visa, and the big envelope we're not supposed to open until we arrive at a port of entry).

They took all the documents we had into the back office, looked over them while we waited, then called us over for the interview.  So I can't for sure which documents were helpful and which were redundant.

To answer some recent questions in this thread...

• I had no W2s, but I made sure to bring the last three years' tax transcripts, and copies of my tax returns, and copies of the teaching contracts with salary info.  I also included some bank statements, and some back-and-forth emails between me and a hiring manager from where I plan to work (and a copy of that job listing from the company website).
  • We also had trouble with that 2nd police check.  The consular apologized repeatedly for this, as it's a brand new, weeks old, law and she knew that most websites aren't up to date.  She gave us directions to a nearby police station.  They got it done.  We returned to the embassy.  Other than the cold weather and a few more bucks of cab fare, it was no big deal.
  • My K spouse has some decent assets, which is likely what sped things along and made our interview so effortless.  "Why are you leaving?"  "Meh, cuz family n' stuff, and we're hoping to-"  "OK thx." *stamp*

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
I apologize if this has been talked about a lot already - tried skimming posts for the past few pages.

When long should i expect to wait from from them receiving the i-130 (says December 4th they received the i-130 when I check the status) to receiving the packet 3 email?

Packet 3 email means the i-130 has been approved right?

Then, all that's left is for her (the immigrant) to set up an interview date, get all the heaps of documents ready?

Thanks!

Offline juskajo

• Veteran
« Reply #450 on: December 31, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »
When long should i expect to wait from from them receiving the i-130 (says December 4th they received the i-130 when I check the status) to receiving the packet 3 email?

Packet 3 email means the i-130 has been approved right?

Took only a few weeks for us.  This may be a busy season for them, as annual contracts are wrapping up.  Check your spam folder regularly.  If it was denied for some reason, I imagine they'd let you know.

Then, all that's left is for her (the immigrant) to set up an interview date, get all the heaps of documents ready?

Well, get the heaps of documents together, double and triple check all of them, and THEN set up an interview date, but yeah.

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #451 on: January 01, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline keepinitreal

• Newgookin
« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »

Hi,

Would you recall the names of the two types of Korean police check? I am trying to be proactive to obtain the documents.

In addition,

I submitted my I 130 for my Korean spouse back in 27 NOV 15 and still have not heard anything from them. Has anyone who submitted in that time frame received their Packet 3?

Thanks for all the assistance;really appreciate it.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #453 on: January 05, 2016, 04:03:23 PM »
Did anyone that submitted the I-130 very recently get an estimate on the processing time till they receive packet 3? We went to the embassy today and they told us 60 days. Is that the estimate they always give? We're not in a big hurry or anything but I was hoping it would be faster. I know the times can vary by several weeks.

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #454 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »

In addition,

I submitted my I 130 for my Korean spouse back in 27 NOV 15 and still have not heard anything from them. Has anyone who submitted in that time frame received their Packet 3?

Thanks for all the assistance;really appreciate it.

Christmas and New Year's Holidays are probably adding a few extra days to your processing time as well~
We were also told it would take up to 60 days. 
We submitted the  I-130 on Nov 4 and got the Packet 3 in my inbox on Dec 8.

Offline keepinitreal

• Newgookin
« Reply #455 on: January 08, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
Did anyone that submitted the I-130 very recently get an estimate on the processing time till they receive packet 3? We went to the embassy today and they told us 60 days. Is that the estimate they always give? We're not in a big hurry or anything but I was hoping it would be faster. I know the times can vary by several weeks.

They told me 60 days they will make their decision but the they said probably 30 days. It has been more than 30 days for me and still waiting.
could you anyone email me the most recent packet 3 at stay_clean1@yahoo.com?

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #456 on: January 08, 2016, 02:36:38 PM »
All good to know. We submitted ours on Dec 4th and haven't gotten the packet 3 email yet either.

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
I found this same question back in July of 2014, but was wondering if anyone has a more recent experience ...

When you arrived in the USA with your Spouse, how long did it take to go through Immigration? Also, did your spouse go through the "citizens/green card holders" line with you?

We'll have to get a connecting flight, so I was wondering how much layover time we would need.

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2016, 08:55:44 PM »
Another quick question ...

For those who have sent in the DS-260 (online form) - there's a question on their that asks if the applicant's spouse/children will be immigrating to the U.S. with them. Well, I (the petition and the spouse) and our children are all moving to the U.S., but we are already U.S. citizens ... so are we supposed to answer "yes" to this question because we are all moving?  or "no" because we are already citizens and not actually "immigrating"?

Lol, or I am just thinking too hard?

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #459 on: January 12, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »
Another quick question ...

For those who have sent in the DS-260 (online form) - there's a question on their that asks if the applicant's spouse/children will be immigrating to the U.S. with them. Well, I (the petition and the spouse) and our children are all moving to the U.S., but we are already U.S. citizens ... so are we supposed to answer "yes" to this question because we are all moving?  or "no" because we are already citizens and not actually "immigrating"?

Lol, or I am just thinking too hard?

If you are an american citizen already, click "no" because you cannot immigrate. I over thought that one too.  :cheesy: