March 21, 2019, 11:36:04 AM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 175502 times)

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #420 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
For Affidavit of support/ income do we only need proof (for example bank statements) for the American spouse or both?
You usually need affidavit of support/ income from the American spouse only. In most cases, the spouse that is not american obviously has no banking information from the states etc.

Though, i have heard of some couples preparing income information from both spouses to show further proof, if it helps their case. You can never over prepare.

Though they only specifically ask for the income info of the American spouse.
I for one, am not American, and my American spouse is the only one preparing income info for the I-864 Form.
Though for the final interview, i will also bring my tax and income information, JUST in case.

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
There are a million responses in this thread so I don't want to re-read the entire thing, but I recall a few people saying they had no problems contacting someone from USCIS by phone and having their questions answered about documentation and stuff. Does anyone know what phone number to call for this purpose? I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with the embassy, only for them to tell me I must call USCIS at a different number, only to have the automated voice message at the USCIS number tell me they do not answer any questions or enquiries by phone. I could have sworn people on this site said they were able to contact them easily  :cry:

Thanks in advance! In the meantime, I'll start combing through this thread...

Offline slkenn

• Explorer
« Reply #422 on: December 10, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »
There are a million responses in this thread so I don't want to re-read the entire thing, but I recall a few people saying they had no problems contacting someone from USCIS by phone and having their questions answered about documentation and stuff. Does anyone know what phone number to call for this purpose? I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with the embassy, only for them to tell me I must call USCIS at a different number, only to have the automated voice message at the USCIS number tell me they do not answer any questions or enquiries by phone. I could have sworn people on this site said they were able to contact them easily  :cry:

I'm not sure what number you used, but this is the number listed on the Packet 3 instructions

CALL CENTER INFORMATION
TEL: (02) 6009-9170, 1600-8884 (IN KOREA), (703) 520-2234 (IN THE U.S.)
E-MAIL: support-korea@ustraveldocs.com

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #423 on: December 14, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »

I'm not sure what number you used, but this is the number listed on the Packet 3 instructions

CALL CENTER INFORMATION
TEL: (02) 6009-9170, 1600-8884 (IN KOREA), (703) 520-2234 (IN THE U.S.)
E-MAIL: support-korea@ustraveldocs.com

Thanks! I actually ended up emailing them at this address and they responded with an answer to my question within a few hours: CIS.Seoul@uscis.dhs.gov. If anyone has a question for them this is the email to use! I was pleasantly surprised at their efficiency.

I don't know why they can't be more straightforward in regards to who you should contact. They always give you the run-around. That second number you listed is the first one I tried, where, after I initially asked the lady my questions, she kept me on the line for about 15 minutes asking for my passport number, name, and all this other info, only to tell me after all that that they do not answer green card questions. She gave me another number which was the automated message saying USCIS doesn't take questions over the phone  :evil:

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #424 on: December 14, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
Just need clarification on two items.  Are both the medical exam and US Visa good for 6 months?
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
Just need clarification on two items.  Are both the medical exam and US Visa good for 6 months?

Medical Exam is good for 6 months. You MUST leave the country by then. Otherwise you will have to do another exam.

Offline dantheman650

• Newgookin
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »
About how long does it take from receiving Packet 3 to visa in hand? After 5 long months, my I-130 was finally approved in America and I'm having it transferred to the embassy here for visa processing (thank god).

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
@Dantheman:  Once you get the Packet 3, you need to submit the DS260 online.  Takes about 3-4 weeks to get confirmation. Once it is ready, you can make an appt at the embassy.  I would say total time is at the most, 2 months or a little less.  I made our appt as far in the future as I could. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
If a medical test expires after the interview, does the medical test still have to be taken to be seen at the embassy even though the visa is still unexpired? 

Offline caerdroia

• Veteran
« Reply #429 on: December 16, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm currently going through the immigration process with my spouse. We submitted the i-130 already, and are now working on the next step and trying to get our documents prepared.   

I have a question for those who had their parents write a letter saying that you and your spouse would be staying with them in the USA at their home while settling in. What kind of details did you put in the letter? Did you need to provide any details of your parents' financial information to prove that they could support you both? AND, did they ask for the original of the letter, or would a scanned copy be okay?

Thanks in advance~
"Don't Panic"

Offline overdrive2023x

• Adventurer
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
I have a question for those who had their parents write a letter saying that you and your spouse would be staying with them in the USA at their home while settling in. What kind of details did you put in the letter? Did you need to provide any details of your parents' financial information to prove that they could support you both? AND, did they ask for the original of the letter, or would a scanned copy be okay?

One thing they asked for that surprised me (and another guy in line) was that wanted actual W2's from your parent if you listed them as a joint sponsor and had their tax transcripts attached to the i-864. While in the end the consular officer didn't ask about them, the first officer that sorts your paperwork said that it might be an issue brought up by the consular officer.

I had my mother write the letter by hand and sign it and then mail it to me (along with other documents I needed like my father's tax scripts). I would figure out what you need from your parents, and then just have them ship a packet over to you including the letter.

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #431 on: December 17, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Why do Americans get shafted in Medical fees.  US visas have to pay 190,00 and other countries pay 150,000?  >:(

Offline caerdroia

• Veteran
« Reply #432 on: December 17, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »

One thing they asked for that surprised me (and another guy in line) was that wanted actual W2's from your parent if you listed them as a joint sponsor and had their tax transcripts attached to the i-864. While in the end the consular officer didn't ask about them, the first officer that sorts your paperwork said that it might be an issue brought up by the consular officer.

I had my mother write the letter by hand and sign it and then mail it to me (along with other documents I needed like my father's tax scripts). I would figure out what you need from your parents, and then just have them ship a packet over to you including the letter.

Thank you overdrive! That is really good to know - can't believe they actually ask for parents' W2 forms as well  :huh:
"Don't Panic"

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
Our interview is coming up and we are pretty much ready.
I'm just curious as to how others have "packaged" all of their documents and paperwork when they gave them to the officers?

Did you put them in a file? Without a file? Binder? List a table of contents?

When we handed in our first documents along with the I-130, i had everything nicely organized in a binder with clear sheets and tabs separating each "type" of document. The guy we handed in this to, took all the paper work out of the clear sheets, took the sticky tabs away and gave me back my binder...

Any suggestions on how we're supposed to "package" everything for the interview? Just hand in the paperwork in a stack?? lol

Offline MaxCat

• Waygookin
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
Our interview is coming up and we are pretty much ready.
I'm just curious as to how others have "packaged" all of their documents and paperwork when they gave them to the officers?

Did you put them in a file? Without a file? Binder? List a table of contents?

When we handed in our first documents along with the I-130, i had everything nicely organized in a binder with clear sheets and tabs separating each "type" of document. The guy we handed in this to, took all the paper work out of the clear sheets, took the sticky tabs away and gave me back my binder...

Any suggestions on how we're supposed to "package" everything for the interview? Just hand in the paperwork in a stack?? lol

From what I read, they take everything out of binders, folders, take off clips etc. I think the only important thing is that it is the papers are in the order listed on Packet 3.

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
I-864 vs. I-864EZ

Which one have people used? I've been in Korea for 3 years and don't have recent American W2's but I have current tax transcripts.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
I-864 vs. I-864EZ

Which one have people used? I've been in Korea for 3 years and don't have recent American W2's but I have current tax transcripts.

We were in the same situation, we could have qualified for the EZ form EXCEPT for the fact that we  did not have W2's. We handed in the normal I-864 instead.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »
I cannot stress this enough guys:

BRING the correct Korean Police Checks!!! We saw two couples at our recent interview get rejected because of this.

You need to bring TWO types of Korean Police Checks. JUST like the current Packet III Instructions says. I think the OLD packet III instructions that circulates the internet only says to bring ONE type. You need 2 TYPES.

If you look carefully on your mailed packet III instructions, they give you 2 SAMPLE Forms that you need to hand in. Those are the ones you need to ask for and fill out. Don't let the Korean Police Officers tell you otherwise. To make things more clear, download the sample form PDFs on your phone and show them to the police officers if you can.

When I went to the police station I had to really INSIST that they give me the two. They said I was incorrect and only needed one. (Even though I showed them the KOREAN instructions and they even spoke perfect English) They caved in and gave me the two. (I went to the Yonsei Police Station location. If you go there, they should now know the correct instructions)

One of the Police Checks you get on the spot, and the other one takes 4-7 business days to be ready for pick up.

EDIT: I should specify that this is for MY case. My husband is American and I am Canadian.

If you are american and your spouse is Korean, the Korean spouse STILL needs TWO different documents but one of them is different than what I (Canadian spouse) had to hand in.
Point is, Just make sure you get the right paper kk?  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:22:41 AM by cad_diva20 »

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
I-864 vs. I-864EZ

Thanks! I'll just do the regular I-864 form. On my 2014 tax return, I claimed $24,000 as my income. The 125% poverty line is $19,912. So I pass the requirement and don't need my parents to fill out a support form, correct?

I know we MUST submit the most recent tax return but the other 2 years are optional. Did any choose NOT to submit the other two years? My claimed income for those years is very low ($296 and $9,014) because I was bouncing between Korea and the states.

We set our interview date for next month! Time to put the finishing touches on everything.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #439 on: December 24, 2015, 07:54:56 AM »
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll just do the regular I-864 form. On my 2014 tax return, I claimed $24,000 as my income. The 125% poverty line is $19,912. So I pass the requirement and don't need my parents to fill out a support form, correct?

I know we MUST submit the most recent tax return but the other 2 years are optional. Did any choose NOT to submit the other two years? My claimed income for those years is very low ($296 and $9,014) because I was bouncing between Korea and the states.

We set our interview date for next month! Time to put the finishing touches on everything.
[/quote]

Yes, you pass the requirements so there is no need for a co-sponsor.

We chose not to submit the other two tax years during the interview but we did  bring them to the interview just in case they wanted to see them.

Though we did have to write the tax amounts of all 3 years on the I-864.

P.S We did our interview a few days ago and I got my visa accepted on the spot. I will write a more detailed review of the whole experience when i get some time. This page has helped me out immensely during this really stressful ordeal so i'd like to help out others :)