March 21, 2019, 12:20:27 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 175509 times)

Offline elee09

• Adventurer
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 02:07:26 PM »
Regarding the question about the marriage certificate: They want to see it at the final interview as well. They didn't take our original for the I-130, they took a copy. We submitted a copy at our final interview as well but they had to see the original as well. Also know that all of those documents (marriage certificate, Korean background check) have to come along with certified English translations for the final interview.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
Can anyone here tell me how long it took to get an interview?  Is there a long wait time? There was a couple at the Seoul consulate who told me to make an interview appointment as soon as I received the packet 3 email because they had to wait a month to get an interview spot.  I just want to know so I can plan things accordingly.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
So sorry, but I have another question.  How long can you stall the process between the 1-130 approval and the interview?  I did not expect to get packet 3 within 2 weeks.

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »
I think it depends because I received my packet 3 in early November and saw later November dates still available for interviews.  Maybe it was due to cancellations because I saw noticed that while there were still some spots in November, December was filled (if I remember correctly).  Anyway, depending on what you need to gather, it may take a month or so just to get the required items.  It will take us a little longer because we have to get a background check from another country where my wife lived.  Anyway, you might find an open spot in the same month, or you may have to wait 2 months.  Even after you schedule your appointment, if you want to do it sooner just keep checking to see if anybody cancels.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »
Okay, thanks!!

Offline C_Right

• Adventurer
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
We just finished this process two weeks ago.  We had no problems whatsoever and found the consular filling process to be a breeze, and it should be for you as well if you are prepared. That being said, we spent about 40 hours over 6 months researching, translating, and completing various forms. It also costs about $1000. We arrived at 8:00am and even though we were about 10th in line they processed us first because we were organized.

Links:
Visa Journey- Information specific to the Seoul consulate
 http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=South%20Korea&cty=Seoul
Visa Journey - Reviews from past visa applicants of the Seoul consulate:
http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=South%20Korea
Seoul Embassy
http://seoul.usembassy.gov/visas_immigrant_visas.html

Other Waygook Post with Same topic:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,62489.msg404164.html#msg404164

Tips:
-Do the translations yourself. Have your Korean spouse search for the templates online and add the statement swearing that he/she is a fluent conversant in both languages.

-They need "certified" documents, which are documents printed at the gu office, ie Basic, Family, Residence, Marriage.

-There is no need to have documents notarized for this purpose.

-Regarding the affidavit of support, if your Korean salary puts you above the poverty guidelines you are good to go. Don't worry if your job ends soon, as long as you get the visa before you quit.
-File a copy of your tax returns from the most recent year. (I saw someone earlier mentioned something about ordering transcripts from the US, and this is not necessary. Just file a copy of your 1040/2555 forms.

-You have 6 months from the date of your medical check to immigrate. So don't get the medical too early.

-If you have everything in order and make your appointments appropriately you can complete the whole process in three months.

-Filling through the embassy (USCIS) is much faster than doing it through the US offices.

-Domicile is a little tricky. I have head of people using as little as a US credit card statement, US bank statement, and a US driverís license. I have been in Korea longer than most so I supplied more evidence even though it may have been unnecessary.
Domicile Evidence

1.   Korean employment contract to expire:

2.   Korean apartment lease to expire:

3.   Letter from family member allowing us to stay at home for 6 months

4.   Job applications to be filed in February

5.   Graduate School application receipt

6.   Credit Union account statement

7.   State driverís license

8.   Card credit card statement

9.   Voter registration card

10.   US mailing address

11.   Residency Teacher Certification

12.   Life insurance policy

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:58:14 PM by C_Right »

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
Keep in mind that the medical check (required before the interview) is what dictates the timing. You have 6 months from that medical check (regardless of when you schedule your interview) to leave for the U.S.
So use that as your deciding factor for timing - not the interview.
i think that is pretty straight-forward (for me), but could you explain it for me? as if i was an idiot/unknowing?

You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
asalchert@gmail.com ---Did you have to go to the interview with your spouse?  I know I have to go to the consulate with him but did they need u present in the room?  Also, packet 3 only states a list of documents for him to get.  There's nowhere, where it says I have to prove domicile?  Can you tell me where I can find that info?

Thanks!

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:30 AM »
Thanks!  That was my plan  ;D 

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2013, 06:45:10 AM »
Asalchert@gmail.com----

What airport did you enter the US in (LAX, Seattle, New York, etc.)?

When you went through immigration (where they check passports/ID), did you go through the same line as your husband? For example, at LAX there are two sections to enter: 1. for U.S. citizens and 2. everyone else. I know when my wife enters the US the first time, she will hand the packet (sealled and given to her from the Embassy) to the immigration officer and they will open it/ process everything, etc. But I am worried that the immi officer will say a whole bunch of instructions and she will only remember half of it.

Basically, what happened/ how did you enter the US.

Thanks for the tip about SS card- but you did say that even though you could not GET the SS # right away at the SS admin office, but you were able to expedite it. How did you expidite it?

Thanks for all the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:22 AM »
That does help a lot, especially as it looks like we will enter through Seattle aswell. I will admit that having to wait for our things in the luggage claim area wjile talking with immigration does not please me- as we will have many things (thank you daughter, haha).

Any way- your info does help a lot. Ignorance is not bliss, haha

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:13 PM »
I'm filling out the 1-864 right now and I'm stumped on the question for the petitioner where it asks for petitioner's mailing address (I know to use my Korean address) but it also asks about "place of residence" and I need to put an address down also. ( I'm assuming it's the Korean address again) 

Did you guys use your Korean address for this part also or did you use your permanent address back home?

If anyone has done this already, help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance! 

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 01:28:04 PM »
I'm filling out the 1-864 right now and I'm stumped on the question for the petitioner where it asks for petitioner's mailing address (I know to use my Korean address) but it also asks about "place of residence" and I need to put an address down also. ( I'm assuming it's the Korean address again) 

Did you guys use your Korean address for this part also or did you use your permanent address back home?

If anyone has done this already, help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

I will be filling this out on Sunday.  From the way you said it is worded, I think I will put my Korean address again.  Maybe I will put my wife's parents' address.  I guess they worded it like that  in case the petitioner and spouse don't have the same address????  After you turn it in, you will get your visa pretty quickly and I can't imagine any problems that could come up from putting your Korean address.  As long as they can send your visa to the correct spot.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  I asked some friends how they would interpret it and they told me to use my permanent address from the states.  But I'll go ahead and put down my korean address.  I dont know how picky the Seoul field office is going to be. 

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
  • Living the dream since 2005....
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
I went Friday for the interview and to hand in the final paperwork (I-864, medical check etc). They didn't seem picky about anything.  I used a combination of my Korean address and US address as the sponsor. 

When you go to the interview go early as you have to take a number.  We got there at 7:30 and they had just opened the waiting area.  We were number 5.  At 9 they started calling the numbers up to hand in your paperwork.  At that time, I went up alone to the window and they looked everything over quickly.  They only asked me what I planned to do in the US and I said I was going to get a job but I didn't have anything lined up yet.

The only thing they seemed interested in was providing something for domicile proof in the US.   I brought printouts of bank/credit card statements, a copy of my drivers license and a letter from my parents stating we were going to stay at their house for the foreseeable future.  They only took the letter and one bank statement and gave the rest back to me.  We waited a bit and they called us back up to give us the receipt for the fee to pay on the second floor.

Then we waited until about 10 when they called my wife's name. It wasn't really an interview they just called her to the window asked one question about where she is working now. Then said we were free to go and they would mail us the passport and entrance documents.  Only took 3 hours for everything.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:23:58 PM by detunedkorea »

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
Detuned, do you happen to know why they asked your wife about her current employment?  My wife isn't currently employed.  Do you think that will have a negative impact on her interview?

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
  • Living the dream since 2005....
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »
No, I think it was just more kind of a random question just to make sure she knew what it said on the application.  They just asked the name of her employer and current position.  Took less than a minute and didn't really seem interested just verifying.

Other people I have talked to were just asked one simple question too, like how many children do you have or wedding date. I think they see so many people with similar stories at the Korean center that as long as your paperwork is in order the interview is nothing.

Offline Rilakuma

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
We submitted the I-130 last Monday, Dec. 30th and we just got the petition approval and Packet 3 email today! It only took a week. They seem to move pretty fast. Now on to schedule the interview~~

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »
whats next/whats to expect?

received my approval notices, then my "pay the fee" notices.

what time-frames am i looking at? what should i expect?

thanks

You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
getting nervous.
dont want to screw this up :-[