June 23, 2018, 10:39:39 AM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 161716 times)

Offline oregon

• Adventurer
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #360 on: August 03, 2015, 12:10:55 PM »
Has anyone gone through the process recently? Turned in 1-130 over a month ago and haven't heard back yet. The agent told us it could take 2 months to get packet 3 but with everyone's testimonials on here it seemed to go much faster than that. Getting worried because My job is up at the end of the month and don't want to renew my contract  because my father is having health problems, which came on in June that is why we applied so late. Would love to hear some good new from people.

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »
Has anyone gone through the process recently? Turned in 1-130 over a month ago and haven't heard back yet. The agent told us it could take 2 months to get packet 3 but with everyone's testimonials on here it seemed to go much faster than that. Getting worried because My job is up at the end of the month and don't want to renew my contract  because my father is having health problems, which came on in June that is why we applied so late. Would love to hear some good new from people.

It took them about 6-7 weeks to send our packet 3 email to us. They seem to be working a little slower now.

Offline oregon

• Adventurer
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »

It took them about 6-7 weeks to send our packet 3 email to us. They seem to be working a little slower now.

That's good news, it's week 6 this week so hopefully any day now. Thanks for putting me at ease.

Offline anteater

• Newgookin
« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
Is there a definitive answer on whether or not income earned in Korea (for the sake of specificity--a teacher's income) is sufficient proof for an affidavit of support for Packet 3? Has anyone successfully sponsored their spouse using solely the income they earned as a teacher in Korea as evidenced by federal tax returns? 

Reading through this thread it almost seems hit and miss.

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
Yes, we just received my husband's green card visa and we only used my income as an English teacher in Korea, we brought an affidavit of support from my parents just to be safe but they were fine with me just using my Korean income.

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #365 on: August 10, 2015, 07:45:57 AM »
I'll be submitting the I-130 application soon. To do that, both the American and Korean spouses have to go to the embassy correct?
Also, did you make an appointment or wait in line with the non-Americans?
Thanks!

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
I'll be submitting the I-130 application soon. To do that, both the American and Korean spouses have to go to the embassy correct?
Also, did you make an appointment or wait in line with the non-Americans?
Thanks!

For the i-130 you need to make an appointment online at  https://infopass.uscis.gov/ . They open new times 2 weeks in the future so tomorrow about 9am they will open the times for the 26th.
When you enter to turn it in you don't go in the US citizen door at the front you enter at the side for immigration services.
Also you will want both people there to turn everything in with the i-130 paperwork.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:15:20 PM by bonitaabril »

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
Thank you, bonitaabril!

I want to make sure I have everything ready for the I-130 application. I need:
I-130 application
G-325A (for both of us)
Marriage certificate and translation (we got married in Korea)
One passport photo (of each of us)
Copy of passport
$420 fee

Is that it? Can I pay with cash or card when I turn it in? For the Korean marriage certificate, we can translate it ourselves, right? Does it need to be notarized? And did anyone else send additional evidence of marriage or just the marriage certificate?

Thank you!

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »
Thank you, bonitaabril!

I-130 application
G-325A (for both of us)
Copy of passport
$420 fee

Is that it? Can I pay with cash or card when I turn it in? For the Korean marriage certificate, we can translate it ourselves, right? Does it need to be notarized? And did anyone else send additional evidence of marriage or just the marriage certificate?

Thank you!

You are welcome, we paid in cash. They have a credit card machine but it wouldn't accept my card so I had to leave and find the closest ATM to withdraw the money. You can translate the korean documents yourself and you don't have to notarize anything.

This is what they asked me to give them with the i-130:
i-130
appointment notice (I printed off when I made the appointment)
My ARC
3 years worth of tax documents (you can print them off of irs.gov)
G-325A (1 for each)
Marriage Certificate with translation
Copies of our passports (also take your passport)
Passport pictures (2 of each of us)
$420 (462,000won)
I also gave them the G1145 form which requests them to email you once they process your information (it will take longer for you to get notification if you don't get it by email)

My husband is Korean so we also needed:
Family Certificate (with translation)
Basic Certificate (with translation)

if your spouse isn't Korean then you will need their birth certificate.

I also brought some letters from friends proving our marriage relationship but they didn't specifically ask for it and I forgot to give it to them.

Offline jaec113

• Adventurer
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »
Hi all, I'm getting ready for the visa interview for my wife (Korean) next week and I (US citizen) wanted to double check I have all the needed documentation. So if anyone could check my list I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! I have:

I864 with 3 years tax transcripts, bank statement showing US address to prove domicile
I864A from mother to provide financial support with documentation
Letter of support from mother fo show shes part of household
Confirmation of DS-260
Copy of wedding certificate with translation
Wife's birth certificate with translation
Copy of family relation with translation
Packet IV letter showing appointment date
Wife's police background check
Wife's health check
Wife's passport
2 decent photos
Fee

Anything missing of wrong? Also, silly question, but what kind of attire should be worn to the interview? Formal, like job interview, or like buisness casual? I'm assuming casual (t-shirt, shorts/jeans) is probably not appropriate? Thanks!

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
I am Canadian, my husband is American. We got married  this May.
We are about to start the whole process ASAP.

I just have one quick regarding the criminal record checks. At what stage are they handed in? During the interview process? I know that they can take a long time to process and receive since we are going to ask for our criminal record check from abroad...

Also, do we BOTH need criminal record checks? Do I need a Canadian criminal record check done, or is a Korean criminal record check ok? (I'm going to assume I need a Canadian criminal record check done.)

A speedy response would be super appreciated!!!

PS. Are there any American/Canadian couples that have done this out there? :)

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
Also, do we BOTH need to hand in our taxes of the last three years, or just HIS american taxes?

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Hi all, I'm getting ready for the visa interview for my wife (Korean) next week and I (US citizen) wanted to double check I have all the needed documentation. So if anyone could check my list I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks! I have:

I864 with 3 years tax transcripts, bank statement showing US address to prove domicile
Confirmation of DS-260
Wife's health check
Wife's passport
2 decent photos
Fee

Anything missing of wrong? Also, silly question, but what kind of attire should be worn to the interview? Formal, like job interview, or like buisness casual? I'm assuming casual (t-shirt, shorts/jeans) is probably not appropriate? Thanks!

Has your wife been in the states? My husband (Korean) had lived in the states for a few years and they wanted to see his old visas that he used to enter the states (we had forgotten them and we still passed but it would have helped the process along to have those)

When you say "copy of marriage certificate" do you mean an official document of the marriage certificate or a copy that you made by scanning it? They want to at least see the original even if you turn in the copy so make sure you have the original with you of that and the Family certificate.

The photos need to be passport sizes (I am sure you know that but I want to make sure all the bases are covered)

You will also want to bring your passport to show them to enter the embassy.

Also did you work while you were in Korea? They specifically asked for my work contract and made a copy of the main page to keep in the file as well.

For the interview they don't really have a specific dress code, people were there in shorts and t-shirts, jeans, and some were dressed up. We dressed up but it wouldn't really affect the interview. You just stand at a window and answer their questions so the interviewer won't even see anything below your shirt.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions. We just did the interview a few weeks ago so it is still fresh in my mind.

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
I am Canadian, my husband is American. We got married  this May.
We are about to start the whole process ASAP.

I just have one quick regarding the criminal record checks. At what stage are they handed in? During the interview process? I know that they can take a long time to process and receive since we are going to ask for our criminal record check from abroad...

Also, do we BOTH need criminal record checks? Do I need a Canadian criminal record check done, or is a Korean criminal record check ok? (I'm going to assume I need a Canadian criminal record check done.)

A speedy response would be super appreciated!!!

PS. Are there any American/Canadian couples that have done this out there? :)

My husband is Korean so I can't help with any Canadian specifics but your husband doesn't need to worry about a background check, he is already an American citizen so he can enter the coutry just fine, you need a background check for any country that you have lived for over a year since you were 16 and then one from Korea since you are living here currently.

You hand in the criminal background check in the 2nd interview so you don't need to have it in hand for the 1st, if it is anything like us applying for my husband's American background check I say apply now, backgrounds checks are valid for 15 months so you don't have to worry about it being too early. Ours came a few days before our 2nd interview so we were a little stressed about it getting to us in time.

Let me know if you have any more questions, it was a crazy process but I got a ton of help from this thread so I will try to give any extra help I can provide to assist others with this process.

And to answer the tax question you only need your husband's taxes.

Offline jaec113

• Adventurer
« Reply #374 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
Has your wife been in the states? My husband (Korean) had lived in the states for a few years and they wanted to see his old visas that he used to enter the states (we had forgotten them and we still passed but it would have helped the process along to have those)

When you say "copy of marriage certificate" do you mean an official document of the marriage certificate or a copy that you made by scanning it? They want to at least see the original even if you turn in the copy so make sure you have the original with you of that and the Family certificate.

The photos need to be passport sizes (I am sure you know that but I want to make sure all the bases are covered)

You will also want to bring your passport to show them to enter the embassy.

Also did you work while you were in Korea? They specifically asked for my work contract and made a copy of the main page to keep in the file as well.

For the interview they don't really have a specific dress code, people were there in shorts and t-shirts, jeans, and some were dressed up. We dressed up but it wouldn't really affect the interview. You just stand at a window and answer their questions so the interviewer won't even see anything below your shirt.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions. We just did the interview a few weeks ago so it is still fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the information!

My wife has been to the US, but just as a tourist. She didn't need a visa as she qualified through the visa waiver program (ETSA). I guess I'll bring that just in case.

The wedding certificate (Korean) is from the district office, so it should be fine.

I did work in Korea (public school) but I'm not sure I have the contract anymore. I finished my contract a few months ago. Hopefully they don't need it.

We live in Changwon now, so we can't exactly run back home and grab anything missing if we need it, so I'm trying to be super-sure of everything before we travel to Seoul.

Thanks again!

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:05 PM »
American Husband with Canadian Wife here :)

My birth certificate is in Spanish. Does anyone know if it needs to be translated? http://www.immihelp.com/birth-certificate/  This web site says it doesn't need to be translated...?
Also, does it need to be the ACTUAL birth certificate or is a copy ok?

Also: bonitaabril thanks for your help!!!

Offline jaec113

• Adventurer
« Reply #376 on: August 20, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
American Husband with Canadian Wife here :)

My birth certificate is in Spanish. Does anyone know if it needs to be translated? http://www.immihelp.com/birth-certificate/  This web site says it doesn't need to be translated...?
Also, does it need to be the ACTUAL birth certificate or is a copy ok?

Also: bonitaabril thanks for your help!!!
Think anything not in English needs to be translated. Copy is fine since they'll keep any documents you submit and you probably won't get it back.

Offline cad_diva20

• Adventurer
« Reply #377 on: August 23, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
Thank you, bonitaabril!

I-130 application
G-325A (for both of us)
Copy of passport
$420 fee

Thank you!

You are welcome, we paid in cash. They have a credit card machine but it wouldn't accept my card so I had to leave and find the closest ATM to withdraw the money. You can translate the korean documents yourself and you don't have to notarize anything.

This is what they asked me to give them with the i-130:
i-130
appointment notice (I printed off when I made the appointment)
My ARC
3 years worth of tax documents (you can print them off of irs.gov)
G-325A (1 for each)
Marriage Certificate with translation
Copies of our passports (also take your passport)
Passport pictures (2 of each of us)
$420 (462,000won)
I also gave them the G1145 form which requests them to email you once they process your information (it will take longer for you to get notification if you don't get it by email)

My husband is Korean so we also needed:
Family Certificate (with translation)
Basic Certificate (with translation)

if your spouse isn't Korean then you will need their birth certificate.

I also brought some letters from friends proving our marriage relationship but they didn't specifically ask for it and I forgot to give it to them.

Hey guys! I was under the impression that the three years of taxes were to be handed in during the second interview? Have the rules changed and now they must be handed in during the I-130 process?
My husband is backfilling for last year's taxes this week and it may take some time to process etc. 
I can't find anything anywhere that says we have to hand in the tax info during the first step. Haaaaalp! Lol I was about to make an appointment to hand in the I-130 but now I think I will wait :(

Offline oskinny1

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #378 on: August 23, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »

Confirmation of DS-260
Wife's health check
Wife's passport
2 decent photos
Fee

Dress nicely! I wore a suit just to show that we are serious. also, bring photos of you two together, if you have photos of your wife with your family and you with her family all the better.  My wife made huge scrapbooks for the previous two years and that really impressed the interviewer.

Offline jaec113

• Adventurer
« Reply #379 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the info folks.

One last question. For the I864 can I just file a tax transcript for the most recent year or do I need to provide a copy of my 1040 with W2 and form 1099? The instructions seem to say the former while a separate page says the latter.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018