December 11, 2018, 03:22:03 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 170906 times)

Offline geegcurtin

• Waygookin
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the information about the health check justaguy.
I was just checking up about trying to organise my health check early but I saw that you need to be able to give your case number to the hospital and you don't get that number until you get your packet 3.

Has anyone tried to get their health check before they received packet 3? 

Offline Steinbeck5

• Waygookin
« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2015, 03:44:32 PM »
We just completed our interview today. Our experience was on par with what everyone else has been describing, although it seems our interview was a little more involved. Rather than just a question or two, it was at least 10, focusing the early part of our relationship, how we met, how I proposed, etc. Perhaps this is because we had only been married for two months, my wife is Chinese, or some other reason. Despite the length, the officer conducting it was jovial and was joking around with us the whole time.

The total time from getting the marriage certificate to the interview was 2.5 months. He said we would get the visa in a couple of days. The time between I-130 petition and p3 was exactly 4 weeks.

As far as I know, you can't do the health check before the p3 since it requires a case number. When we checked, the Seoul hospitals were booked for almost a month. But Busan had more availability. If you're in a time crunch, I would suggest checking out Busan's hospital.

Since everything is still pretty fresh in our memory, I'll be checking here to see if our experience is relevant to anyone's questions.

Offline justaguy

• Veteran
« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »
The time between I-130 petition and p3 was exactly 4 weeks.

Congratulations! 

Few questions:

1) How long have you been out of the United States?

2) Do you have a job lined up back home?  If not, did they take your tax returns from working abroad with no problem or were there questions about your savings/ work abroad?

3) How did you prove residence in the U.S. 

-I have a U.S. bank account and  a letter from family that I have residence. 

Anything you can think of that helped you get approved?

Thanks

Offline Steinbeck5

• Waygookin
« Reply #343 on: April 17, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
Thanks!

1. I've been out of the U.S for 3 years, but with a 7 month period back in the U.S. between the 2nd and 3rd contract.
2. I do not, but outlined general plans in my domicile letter. The interviewer also had me confirm those details. They took all 3 tax transcripts and my credit card/bank statements.
3. The letter, bank and credit card statements, letter from my parents inviting us to stay with them, and I believe they also took the copy of my driver's license that was still valid.

As long as all of your documents are in order, everything is straight forward. I think the letter from your parents is probably the most important thing. We also brought an album of photos and other relationship proof, but he didn't really want to see them. He mentioned that seeing the two people together is good? But of course, this was just our particular case so I think it's smart to prepare as much as possible.

Offline justaguy

• Veteran
« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »
Thanks!

1. I've been out of the U.S for 3 years, but with a 7 month period back in the U.S. between the 2nd and 3rd contract.
2. I do not, but outlined general plans in my domicile letter. The interviewer also had me confirm those details. They took all 3 tax transcripts and my credit card/bank statements.
3. The letter, bank and credit card statements, letter from my parents inviting us to stay with them, and I believe they also took the copy of my driver's license that was still valid.

As long as all of your documents are in order, everything is straight forward. I think the letter from your parents is probably the most important thing. We also brought an album of photos and other relationship proof, but he didn't really want to see them. He mentioned that seeing the two people together is good? But of course, this was just our particular case so I think it's smart to prepare as much as possible.

Thanks a ton!

This domicile letter: is it just a letter of your intent to reside and work in the U.S.?  I need to start working on mine now.  I have not seen it mentioned before this post.  THANKS

The letter from my parents is a basic one liner I wrote saying we have permission to live at such and such address. 

So, I'm going to crank out a domicile letter and see if I can write a longer letter "from" my folks. 

Also, my bank info is pretty limited.  My bank card and checkbook are both in the states.  So, I'll just have photo copies of the checkcard, checkbook, and an envelope or two from my bank.

I also have some information on enrolling my daughter in the local kindergarten- district specific... I hope that helps prove intent. 

And, I have letters from potential employers.

Thanks again for the info.  Every bit counts.  I've been out of the states for a decade.  My wife and kids have visited for up to two months a few times. 

Offline Steinbeck5

• Waygookin
« Reply #345 on: April 17, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »
The "domicile letter" isn't mentioned by name in this way, but can be found in the instructions of I-864. It says a "written explanation" should be provided in cases where your principal residence is outside of the US, yet you consider the US to be your "country of domicile."

You can go about this in a few ways, like providing evidence you always considered your stay in Korea temporary and have maintained a residence in America while living abroad. Or, and this is probably more relevant to your case, you can provide proof that you intend to reestablish your domicile in the States when your wife immigrates. They specifically mention registering children in U.S. schools so you are good there.

Check out the I-864 instructions for more detailed explanations and other options to consider.
Hope this helps!

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
I've been reading through all these posts and it's been very helpful. My Korean boyfriend and I want to leave Korea March 2016 and after travelling, arrive in the US in May 2016. We're getting married this August.

I have a few questions:
-We'll have to live separately until Jan 2016. For the I-130 form, what was your evidence of a bona fide marriage?
-And does anyone know the maximum period of time you can use between I-130 approval and scheduling the interview? Since we're going to travel for 2 months between leveling Korea and arriving in America, I want to make sure we don't start the process too early.

Thanks for everyone who has already posted! Good luck and have a happy marriage!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 02:31:39 PM by adrienne.light »

Offline geegcurtin

• Waygookin
« Reply #347 on: May 12, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »

-We'll have to live separately until Jan 2016. For the I-130 form, what was your evidence of a bona fide marriage?
For the I-130 your marriage certificate should be the evidence. (If you get married in Korea then I think you might have to get that translated in to English.

-And does anyone know the maximum period of time you can use between I-130 approval and scheduling the interview? Since we're going to travel for 2 months between leveling Korea and arriving in America, I want to make sure we don't start the process too early.
I just recieved my packet 3 information today. I was waiting 5 weeks for it since I handed in my I-130. It says that you then have to wait a further 6-10 weeks for approval of your visa interview.
I'm not sure what the maximum time is, sorry.

If you apply for the visa and then go travelling then you should be okay as long as your health check isn't more than 6 months old when you arrive in to America.

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the posts on here, I have really appreciate everything posted, the information has been a huge help on the immigration process for us.

I figured I would give a heads up in case someone was wanting to put off doing the 1st interview. We turned in our i-130 application over 5 weeks ago and so we emailed the consulate and they told us that right now they are taking 60 days to process the paperwork and send out the packet 3 emails. I am hoping that they are just exaggerating the timeframe so we will be pleasantly surprised when the email comes sooner, but if it doesn't I wanted to let everyone currently in the process know the updated quoted timeframe for the 1st interview to the packet 3 email.

Also to answer a previous question I saw on here, you can wait up to 2 years after the i-130 before doing the packet 3 interview, but the visa stamp in the passport is only valid 6 months from the date of the medical exam.

Offline justaguy

• Veteran
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Update:

Interview: we arrived at 7:30 am for our 8:00 am interview. There was already a line formed. We were third. By 7:45 there were over 20 people in line. Get there early!

Pulled a number, they called my wife and they asked for a bunch of papers. A ton of stuff we brought they did not care about.

They did care about the letter of intent that I wrote and e-mails from potential employers for myself.

Fifteen minutes later, they called us for the actual interview. The guy was very nice. He asked when and where we met, my intentions in the US, when we were leaving, and asked my wife what her plans were. Less than two minutes and she was approved!

I think a lot of the speed had to do with the length of our marriage and the fact that we have kids.

The visa arrived in her passport a week later. I'm in the states now working and she'll be here Monday!!!!

Good luck everyone!!

Offline geegcurtin

• Waygookin
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2015, 08:06:30 AM »
Congratulations justaguy!
I hope that you and your family enjoy America :)

I received my police check from my city's main police station. When I was applying for it I showed them the packet 3 info in Korean as to what was needed.

But looking at my check now I can't find any area with investigation records on it.
I have attached it here, does this look right to you?  I just have a fear of going up to Seoul for the interview and finding out that something is wrong with my documents.
(sorry...I accidentally scanned it twice)

Thanks in advance!

Offline suniloneal34

• Adventurer
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2015, 02:07:55 PM »
Posting for later, will spend some time reading through it.  Lot's to get through. 

Would anyone that understands the process let me know if my initial thoughts on it make sense or if I need to re-review this madness.

I'm a U.S citizen from California and she is a Korean citizen.

1. Get a civil wedding in Korea -  September 2015
I am here on a tourist visa at the moment (i leave every 80 days or so).I already have a job offer in America, so just spending time with each other in Korea until then. Does it matter if I'm on a tourist visa? Any specific docs I need besides a passport?

2. I move to California - January 2016 (my job there starts then).

3. Do the CR1 process (the I-130) - Start mid January 2016 and submit it in San Francisco?
I assume there are some sort of income requirements etc on the form, so that is why we want to wait until I am working in America to get that going. Also, is there any reason to submit this in the Embassy in Seoul versus San Francisco?

4. She stays in Korea (continues working) until everything is approved etc around September 2016?
Can she leave Korea during this time to visit me in America and/or could I visit Korea? I have no idea how long this whole process would take but from what I've read this seems like the right amount of time?

5. She can move to the US and everything is done (e.g., she can start legally working in the US, has a green card, etc etc)?

6. We do a religious wedding in 2017 sometime with family/friends etc? This is more of a personal question I guess....i know little to nothing about weddings.

Thanks for any advice. Lot of details to get through! Side question - any big reason I'm missing to do a K1 visa (beside any cost related reasons)? Seems like more steps, lot of waiting around for a green card, etc?

Offline geegcurtin

• Waygookin
« Reply #352 on: July 22, 2015, 11:04:23 AM »
I know this thread is pretty quiet these days but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

I just completed my DS-260 form online. It says that it will take up to 30 business days to complete the review. My visa interview appointment is on August 3rd. Will I be okay if the DS-260 hasn't been reviewed by then? It didn't say that there was a time limit on when to complete it on my packet information, so I'm hoping that it will be okay.
TIA,
Grainne

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #353 on: July 22, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
geegcurtin
We set up an interview for less than 30 days after we filled out the DS-260, I don't think that will be a problem, we had our interview about 2-3 weeks after submitting the DS-260 application, we only waited that long because we were waiting for the rest of our paperwork to come in.

Also just a heads up for anyone the price for the interview is higher than earlier posts on this thread, it is now $325, make sure you bring exact cash, you can also pay 357,500won. They accept cards but when they ran mine it didn't go through so it is safer just to take in the cash.

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2015, 07:39:30 AM »
I'm just about to begin the whole process. Tomorrow I'm going to the embassy for my affidavit for marriage. Then next week we're applying for marriage here in Korea. Our wedding is in September and that's when we'll submit the I-130 application. (I live in Daegu so have to work around my school's vacation days)

I'll post updates (and questions I'm sure) along the way!

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2015, 01:25:27 AM »
I'm just wondering, do you all have a Korean marriage license and an American marriage license?  Or just one? 

Offline adrienne.light

• Waygookin
« Reply #356 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:50 AM »
I'm just wondering, do you all have a Korean marriage license and an American marriage license?  Or just one? 
Shinu:
We're applying for a Korean marriage license. (You only need one.) In our current situation (living in Korea and having our wedding in Korea) its the easier option for us. We'll translate it into English then to show the embassy.

Also, my visit to the embassy went very fast and smooth. From entering to exiting it took 30mins and I had my affidavit of eligibility for marriage in hand. Next Monday we're visiting the local district office to apply for our marriage.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #357 on: July 28, 2015, 01:49:46 PM »
Shinu:
We're applying for a Korean marriage license. (You only need one.) In our current situation (living in Korea and having our wedding in Korea) its the easier option for us. We'll translate it into English then to show the embassy.

Also, my visit to the embassy went very fast and smooth. From entering to exiting it took 30mins and I had my affidavit of eligibility for marriage in hand. Next Monday we're visiting the local district office to apply for our marriage.

adrienne.lig
Shinu:

Shinu:

adrienne.light :
If you and your spouse plan on living in the U.S forever, you'll only need one.  We are here in the U.S now and thought maybe in a few years maybe going back to Korea for a year or two but to get a korean spousal visa you need to present korean immigration with a U.S marriage license and a korean one as part of the application process.  We did not know this. I was just wondering if others had known this already.

Offline ART55

• Adventurer
« Reply #358 on: July 28, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
First off, thanks everyone for putting all your helpful information and advice!

My wife and I will hand in her I-130 application next week.

I understand the six months thing to immigrate to the U.S with the visa and once we land, we will be issued the green card.  From there we will need to get the social security card and wait for the ID card in the mail, something along those lines. 

Anyways, my question is as follows:  even though we will tell the USCIS we plan to immigrate to the U.S. in March once my contract ends, this could all be up in the air and we could stay in Korea a little longer.  Could we just travel to the U.S. within that 6 month time frame and get the green card and then come back to South Korea a month later? Is that not considered immigrating?  Even if we get her social security card and open a bank account while there.  See, in May we will be married for two years, and then we will have to apply to remove that probationary status thing right after we get the green card.  I don't want to wait to do the interview, and would like to get the approval for the visa so that we have the option to go home in March because that seems to be the most likely scenario for us.

Anybody know anything about this or got some good advice?

Offline bonitaabril

• Waygookin
« Reply #359 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
ART55:
If you get into the states in March they will stamp your passport with the green card, to remove the conditional resident status you will wait 2 years after you get the green card. So if you get the green card this March you can start applying to get the conditional resident removed 90 days before your 2 year card expired (So march of 2018). If you don't want to pay the extra $590 fee and do the extra paperwork to get the conditional resident status removed you can wait until May to enter the states and then you will automatically receive the permanent residency card and not have to worry about getting the conditional residency removed.

You can move to the states and then come back into Korea, but if you spend more time in Korea than you are in the states when you apply for the conditional status removed you will probably have some problems proving that you are immigrating to the states, you need to show that you spent more time in the states and have that as your primary residency.

Here is the uscis website about removing the conditional permanent residency status on the green card. http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage