January 24, 2019, 02:42:16 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 172971 times)

Offline illinoisjones

• Newgookin
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
Hope this hasn't already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything about it:

My Korean wife have received the packet 3 and we are preparing for our interview appointment. I am off work the first week of November and was hoping to schedule the appointment then (we live far from Seoul). But when I went online to schedule the appointment (http://www.ustraveldocs.com/kr/index.html?firstTime=No) the only dates available were in the last two weeks of October. No dates after that in November, December, etc.

So, my guess is that more dates will become available if I wait longer. But if I'm wrong I don't want to miss my chance. I called the number on the website and asked, but the lady wouldn't give me a definite answer. She said the dates are personalized for our case number and more might become available, but "it's at the discretion of the consulate." Does anybody know whether more dates will open up if I skip the ones already provided?

Thanks everyone for the great information. Really useful thread.

Offline rxqueen

• Veteran
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »
To any Canadians who had to submit their birth certificate:

Did you submit the long-form or short-form birth certificate?

The birth certificate I was able to get from my mom is what seems to be the short-form, since it only has my name, date and city of birth on it.

Has anyone used this and was it ok?

I know that I can order a "long-form birth certificate" online, but I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a guarantor, paying the fees, and waiting for the certificate to arrive if I don't have to.

Thanks for your input!

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »
Yay. Finaly got the greencard. Feels like it took forever. *in actuality it took two months from the date of admitance into the USA.
ALSO ladies and gents. Please note that when/if you get accepted into the usa. U will recieve a stamp in the passprt. It IS a greencard. It is a temporary greencard. U can open a bank account with it. Get a job. Etc. if ypu go to a bnak and they say "but the visa expired" then just know that the BANK doesnt know what they are talking about. You should go to a different branch. Ss card came before the greencard. Only took a couple weeks.

Word of advice: go to the DMV as soon as you can and get a "non drivers ID". Will help a lot as a form of Identification.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
Yay. Finaly got the greencard. Feels like it took forever. *in actuality it took two months from the date of admitance into the USA.
ALSO ladies and gents. Please note that when/if you get accepted into the usa. U will recieve a stamp in the passprt. It IS a greencard. It is a temporary greencard. U can open a bank account with it. Get a job. Etc. if ypu go to a bnak and they say "but the visa expired" then just know that the BANK doesnt know what they are talking about. You should go to a different branch. Ss card came before the greencard. Only took a couple weeks.

Word of advice: go to the DMV as soon as you can and get a "non drivers ID". Will help a lot as a form of Identification.

Thanks for the info. Currently, we are gathering the documents for the packet 3. It took exactly a month from the submission of our I-130 Petition to receive the email. We registered for our appointment in December. Note to those who are doing a long term plan on this, it is important to consider the fact that you can only get an interview date up to 30 days from the current date.

Good luck to everyone who is in the process.

Offline geegcurtin

• Waygookin
« Reply #284 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
Hi everyone.
I'm just in the very early stages of applying for my green card (my husband is American, I'm Irish)
I went to America during college on a work and travel visa for 3 months and in that time I was given a social security number. I don't think I still have it or remember it and I noticed that the I-130 form asks for it.
Does anyone know if there is any way to retrieve this number?
Thanks!

Offline johnpwessel

• Adventurer
« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
Submitted the i-130 on Monday, we got the packet 3 email today (4 days later)! Wow, it must be some kind of record.

Does income earned in Korea count for the I-864 form even though it's not included in AGI?

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »
I was wondering is someone can clear this up for me.

I am wanting to get my wife a green card so that when we decide to move over there we can do it more freely and without time constraints. I am under the assumption that for you to actually get your green card, after you have gone through all the paper work, you need to be in the US for a certain amount of time.

Is it possible for her to get her card and not have to be in the US for an extended period of time?

Offline kungfuninja

• Adventurer
« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2014, 05:18:53 PM »
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-immediate-relative-us-citizen

Look at the section "Get a Green Card While Outside the United States." It looks like your spouse is considered an immediate family member, and you can apply for a visa abroad that allows him/her to travel to the states and claim permanent residency upon arrival. You should be good to go! Might be a bit of a hassle, but looks like a clear path.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »
ok, let me try to shed some light for you guys/girls. please remember this is based on my experience.

Johnpwessel, you should include you current income, even if it is Korean.
country09 the green card process will not even start until the individual has landed (my understanding). HOWEVER, upon arrival and ACCEPTANCE, the Boarder Protection guard will take the visa and put in a stamp. the stamp is a I-155 (i think that is the name). this makes her "visa" obsolete. as the I-155 IS A TEMPORARY GREEN CARD.  *went to the bank to get her an account, and they kept arguing that the visa was expired, but i kept pointing out that the I-155 trumps the visa. turns out that BANKS are not always "up to date" with IMMIGRATION laws.  ^.^ and yes, i was right to tell the bank that the visa didnt matter anymore, it was the I-155 they should be looking at.

"Hi everyone.
I'm just in the very early stages of applying for my green card (my husband is American, I'm Irish)
I went to America during college on a work and travel visa for 3 months and in that time I was given a social security number. I don't think I still have it or remember it and I noticed that the I-130 form asks for it.
Does anyone know if there is any way to retrieve this number?
Thanks! "

so....this means you left the usa after college? or you stayed in the usa and got married?  if you left the USA, without becoming a resident or temporary resident, or relative of a us citizen, i do not think you can have a social security card.  the BEST advice i would give you, is to call the SSA (social security administration). http://www.ssa.gov/

You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »
When filling in the online forum to schedule the interview after receiving the Packet-3, when we want to pick up the passport, what option should we choose? The office in Yongsan?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
I cant speak for picking it up. We had ours delivered certified mail.

Offline Rodrigo3586

• Adventurer
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »

How long did it take you to receive your passport after the interview?

Offline popeye2u

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Btw, has the requierment to have US based income changed.  I will be trying again but with a joint sponsor this time.  Last time I tried to get my wife's visa they said my Korean income wasnt counted. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »

How long did it take you to receive your passport after the interview?
I think around 8 to 13 days....so about two weeks

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #294 on: December 03, 2014, 11:17:47 PM »
from my understanding, if you are married for less than 2 years, she will need to wait for her greencard until conditions are removed.  If you have been married over 2 years, then she gets her green card unconditionally.  She can leave the US as long as she filles for permission but its usually up to 6 months to be away.  You have to basically show that she intends to live in the US, otherwise there is a chance of losing the green card.
the way that works is as follows.
When the spouse arrives in the usa. They receive a stamp. That is an I 551 or sommething. It is a GREEN CARD to be used until the REAL greencard arrives. If married for less than 2years the spouse is  a conditonal resident. The spouse will need to file to have the Conditional Status removed. This must be done NO LATER THAN 90 days before the anniversary of their second year in the usa

Offline johnpwessel

• Adventurer
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
Does the  I 551 have anything like a temporary SSN or tax ID# on it that can be used to open a bank account?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
Does the  I 551 have anything like a temporary SSN or tax ID# on it that can be used to open a bank account?

You will recieve the SSN no EARLIER than 2 weeks of landing. the Passport I-551 is a Greencard. IF the bank is familiar with doing visa/greencard enrollments, then you will have no problem. I went to one bank, and the lady had never done it before. so she went with the date of the VISA, and not the date of the I-551 stamp. I contacted immigration about it, and they said that the lady was wrong and i should probably try a different bank.  so i went to a bank (same bank, different branch), and everything went smooth. all because the lady that helped open the account, was familiar with the process.

so, "Can you open an account with the I-551?"  the answer is yes. 
"is it easy?"  depends on how much experience your teller/bank person  has with the situation.

** you can also go to the DMV and get a Non-Drivers ID. that way you have 1) State ID, 2) SSN, and 3) Passport I-551.

good luck

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:30 AM »
New Question: How did you proove domicile? We went in for our interview on the first week of this month and we got rejected for domicile purposes. Another friend of my wife's went in with the same exact circumstances, except that the girl was pregnant and that his parents co-signed the application. Is that something I should do?

The people at the embassy were literally of no help. Their paper said what kind of documents might help, but they stressed that even if we had all of them, it doesn't mean that we can pass or not.

What did you guys provide that I didn't? Thanks!

Offline Rodrigo3586

• Adventurer
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
New Question: How did you proove domicile? We went in for our interview on the first week of this month and we got rejected for domicile purposes. Another friend of my wife's went in with the same exact circumstances, except that the girl was pregnant and that his parents co-signed the application. Is that something I should do?

The people at the embassy were literally of no help. Their paper said what kind of documents might help, but they stressed that even if we had all of them, it doesn't mean that we can pass or not.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. We have our appointment in two weeks and I plan on bringing my drivers license, American bank account info, tax records and a written explanation about what I was doing abroad and what I intend to do when I get back. What did you bring with you?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #299 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
For domicile i used my tax returns and bank statement. There should be a list of acceptable documents on the travel.state.gov site, or somewhere regarding the visa application. maybe even get a affidavit from family members?  sorry you ran into that hiccup. follow-up question... are you also having difficulty with your "Affidavit of Support"?  i think its form 864?  *i dont know the forms as well as i used to. its been about 4 months :-)