December 13, 2018, 10:23:37 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 171113 times)

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
And good luck to everybody getting started now.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
It's been a while but I thought I should update.  Yesterday my wife received her actual green card!  We hadn't been married for 2 years when we entered the US so we had to do the CR-1 visa. That means in 2 more years her CR-1 green card will expire.  90 days before then we apply (and pay) to lift the conditions and she becomes a regular permanent resident.  I think 3 years after that, she can take the history/government test and all that jazz to become a citizen.  Definitely don't pay a lawyer 1500 unless there is a good reason to...like without a lawyer your spouse may not be granted a visa due to legal issues.

Congrats! How long did it take?

I arrived on the 11th July ,and we wondering how long we will have to wait . Also, I applied for my SSN card via my DS 260 application ,has your wife received that yet?

Update on my experience :My port of entry was Chicago o'hare, I only had a 2.40 minute layover, in hindsight we should have tried to at least have like 4 hours. the first immigration check didn't take too long, the guy checked that I had all my paper work , and instructed me to head to a different desk. Once there, the guy took my DO NOT OPEN enveloped, asked me to sit down, went through my paper work, called me back ,and asked me how long I was married,and what was my job plan .That's it, he stamped me in ,and I had to go through security and all that jazz. It was not time consuming at all,and because I made sure to sit in front in the plane, and walked super fast I was first in line for it all . It was not as stressful as  I had thought it would be :-) Now waiting for SSN and Green card.

Good luck to you all .

Offline haysupz

• Newgookin
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
Does anyone know about the translations of Korean documents for submitting the I-130 petition? My wife found some Korean post that said that you can't do individual translations anymore (since 2013). Is that true? She is more than qualified to translate and we really don't want to pay someone to translate something she's already done. Any ideas?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Does anyone know about the translations of Korean documents for submitting the I-130 petition? My wife found some Korean post that said that you can't do individual translations anymore (since 2013). Is that true? She is more than qualified to translate and we really don't want to pay someone to translate something she's already done. Any ideas?

i dont know about any changes. no one has reported a problem (here) (yet).
you can also find that between pages 5-8 (i think its page 7), there is a poster who put a bunch of files up. english and korean.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »
My fiancee said there is a place that does translations very close to the embassy. Prepare to pay though.

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »

I used the templates provided in this thread in June and they accepted them without an issue.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

I also used the templates provided here, and there was no issue in May and didn't even have it notarized or anything .

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
It's been a while but I thought I should update.  Yesterday my wife received her actual green card!  We hadn't been married for 2 years when we entered the US so we had to do the CR-1 visa. That means in 2 more years her CR-1 green card will expire.  90 days before then we apply (and pay) to lift the conditions and she becomes a regular permanent resident.  I think 3 years after that, she can take the history/government test and all that jazz to become a citizen.  Definitely don't pay a lawyer 1500 unless there is a good reason to...like without a lawyer your spouse may not be granted a visa due to legal issues.

I arrived on the 11th July ,and we wondering how long we will have to wait . Also, I applied for my SSN card via my DS 260 application ,has your wife received that yet?

Update on my experience :My port of entry was Chicago o'hare, I only had a 2.40 minute layover, in hindsight we should have tried to at least have like 4 hours. the first immigration check didn't take too long, the guy checked that I had all my paper work , and instructed me to head to a different desk. Once there, the guy took my DO NOT OPEN enveloped, asked me to sit down, went through my paper work, called me back ,and asked me how long I was married,and what was my job plan .That's it, he stamped me in ,and I had to go through security and all that jazz. It was not time consuming at all,and because I made sure to sit in front in the plane, and walked super fast I was first in line for it all . It was not as stressful as  I had thought it would be :-) Now waiting for SSN and Green card.

Good luck to you all .

@toddc06---I would also like to know how long it took to get the green card.  Also it's been 3 weeks and still no social security card in the mail.  I called ss and the person I spoke with couldn't even tell me the status of my husband's application and told me to wait 2 more months. 

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »

Good luck to you all .

@toddc06---I would also like to know how long it took to get the green card.  Also it's been 3 weeks and still no social security card in the mail.  I called ss and the person I spoke with couldn't even tell me the status of my husband's application and told me to wait 2 more months.

How close are you to an SS branch? maybe it would be prudent to just walk in (with hubby) and handle it face to face?
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »
Hey all, sorry it took so long to answer.  We have been busy the past couple of days.  It took us over 3 weeks to get the SS card, or in our case the letter that told me we were missing some information.  We ended up having to go in to the SS Administration office and give them her address here and her parents' names again for some reason.  Then we got the card the next week.  After that, we received a letter telling us she couldn't get a green card because I didn't pay the 165 dollar (I think) processing fee. After I payed that we got her green card in 2 weeks.  I got sloppy at the end apparently and missed that fee payment step.  We are 3 months into being back now and just got her set up with a bank account because that was required to show residency in my state to get her driver's license.

Don't worry too much.  You will either get the SS card soon or a letter telling you that something is missing. If all else fails, you can just go down to your nearest ssa office. In our case, apparently a worker somewhere forgot to type some info in the computer.  Took 5 minutes to fix.  And be sure to set up the bank account quickly to establish residency so you can get your spouse's driver's license unless your state has a reciprocal agreement with Korea for that.  There are only a few with that kind of arrangement, I think.

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
To be more specific, I think it took us a month to get the SS card, but it could have been longer.  The green card takes longer, maybe 2 months if you do it right the first time.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:04 AM »
@toddc06--thanks for the quick response!

Another question for those of you already in the States.  Did you all go and get another marriage license in your state or just have your Korean one? 
We are trying to change over my husband's Korean license to a state one, but the secretary of state (DMV) person we spoke with is adamant that we show a U.S marriage license to prove that we are married for residency purposes (she was so rude about it too). BTW, my state has a reciprocal agreement with Korea for driver's licenses but they were still adamant that we provide a U.S marriage license of proof that we are married.

Any responses are appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:22:18 AM by Shinu »

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
@toddc06--thanks for the quick response!

Another question for those of you already in the States.  Did you all go and get another marriage license in your state or just have your Korean one? 
We are trying to change over my husband's Korean license to a state one, but the secretary of state (DMV) person we spoke with is adamant that we show a U.S marriage license to prove that we are married for residency purposes (she was so rude about it too). BTW, my state has a reciprocal agreement with Korea for driver's licenses but they were still adamant that we provide a U.S marriage license of proof that we are married.

Any responses are appreciated!

I'd ask to talk to their supervisor, if you weren't talking to one already.

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
Why can't they prove residency with a bank statement?  I don't think your spouse has to prove that he is married to prove residency.  We ended up getting a letter from the bank that said she had a bank account and ooo was her address.  They stamped and signed it and it worked fine.   Go back and you will probably get a new person.  If not, try a different dmv.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »
Why can't they prove residency with a bank statement?  I don't think your spouse has to prove that he is married to prove residency.  We ended up getting a letter from the bank that said she had a bank account and ooo was her address.  They stamped and signed it and it worked fine.   Go back and you will probably get a new person.  If not, try a different dmv.

Thanks for the response.  I will try that.  I've just been getting the run around with everything so far, so it's been quite frustrating. 

Anyway, still no SS card and it's been almost a month.  We will go to the office tomorrow.  Will def let you all know how that goes.  Wish me luck.  ;D

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »
We just got back from the SS office and the kind lady told us there was no application in for my husband.   We had to apply for a new card and hopefully it will come in soon.

When we filled out the DS260 form online there was a question that asked us if we wanted to receive a SS card automatically and we checked yes.  From reading others response on this forum about the ss card, it seems that checking "yes" doesn't guaranteed that they will issue a card automatically.  I really don't even know why they have that option.  But my advice to all who will be entering the U.S is to go into the SS office after a week or two to make sure there is an application in for you. 

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #256 on: July 25, 2014, 02:09:04 AM »
Also, anyone here heard of the I-94?  The lady at the SS office said my husband needed it to be able to work.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #257 on: July 25, 2014, 07:22:53 AM »
this is a list of US Customes and Immigration Service forms.
http://www.uscis.gov/forms

i believe that the I-94 is a different Government branch. *off the top of my head*.  i will look into it.

*couple minutes later, Update*

some resources have said that it is either an Electronic (or paper) document. filled out by the Immigration Officer (or online, depending on how you proceed). it says the place of arrival/departure, passport/visa type, etc. 
the most informative site i found was this one.
https://iss.tamu.edu/immigration/i94.asp

but i am not sure if that means YOU have to fill it out, or one of their agents made a 'boo-boo' at the gate.

https://iss.tamu.edu/immigration/i94.asp
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:27:21 AM by iamrhart »

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »
I was almost certain that our spouses didn't need something like that to be able to work.  I thought that they could work legally bc they had a green card already.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
I was almost certain that our spouses didn't need something like that to be able to work.  I thought that they could work legally bc they had a green card already.

yeah, the "needs it to work" part threw me off. My understanding was the Green Card and/or the SS card was enough legal documentation for the individual to be able to be employed.

maybe this person was giving you a hard time?