June 22, 2018, 07:05:32 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 161670 times)

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
New quesiton

When you arrived in the USA, with your Spouse (if you had a layover/connecting flight), how long did it take to go through Immigration?

The only way for me to get from an International Airport (SEA, JFK, LAX, etc.) to my home, is to use a connection (and change to different airline) flight. Were you 'through immigration' within minutes? a half hour? an hour +? 

thanks.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline Monfab

• Veteran
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
I've just booked my interview appointment, I have all the required docs. To anyone who's already gone through the interview process is there anything you wish you'd known before the interview that nobody told you before hand?
Veni, Vidi, Vici.......... but I got a little cold

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
went for interview yesterday,was asked to provide proof of domicile .My Hubby's tax records were included already, what else can be used ? We will be living with family until we get settled, so a least wont work . Also,no job confirmations yet . Any advice on this ?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
I've just booked my interview appointment, I have all the required docs. To anyone who's already gone through the interview process is there anything you wish you'd known before the interview that nobody told you before hand?

No photos. (dont take before and after pics of the spouse at the embassy. it's a government building, so photography is a 'nono')
Prepare to answer random questions. some might have been asked on the forms, some might not have been. like "what will both of you do, when you get to the usa for employment"

went for interview yesterday,was asked to provide proof of domicile .My Hubby's tax records were included already, what else can be used ? We will be living with family until we get settled, so a least wont work . Also,no job confirmations yet . Any advice on this ?

You gave your Domicile, or his?  i think they want proof of where you are staying, IN the USA, or where you are a resident of.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
iamrhart, they wanted proof of my US husband's intent to stay in the states, even though he showed his renewd license and tax returns ,and other things that had his address on it .

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
New quesiton

When you arrived in the USA, with your Spouse (if you had a layover/connecting flight), how long did it take to go through Immigration?

The only way for me to get from an International Airport (SEA, JFK, LAX, etc.) to my home, is to use a connection (and change to different airline) flight. Were you 'through immigration' within minutes? a half hour? an hour +? 

thanks.

Hey iamrhart---my husband and I just arrived yesterday.  Our port of entry was Dallas and we had a connecting flight also.  We had 2 hours and 40 minutes in between before our connecting flight and that was just enough time.  I would say give yourself at least 1.5- 2 hours to go through customs and immigration.  After we passed through immigration, we had to wait inside a room for them to process the paperwork.  That took about a 30-40 minute wait, depending on how many people are also waiting to be processed.  Then after that, we had to go get our luggage and go through another customs check and then recheck in our bags, and then go through security again. 

I would also suggest choosing a state (port of entry) that doesn't have Mexican immigration problems at the moment.  I'm saying this bc I swear, they made every Mexican person that went through immigration go into that room also, making the wait even longer. 

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »
Yes. we have a long layover. i am pretty sure we will be alright.

our next 'hurtle' is the USCIS/ELIS application part. we submitted payments. and now i am not sure if we have to submit more documents, or just do the payment/fee and then enter the US Port of Entry.

what did you do, with the USCIS/ELIS site?

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »

our next 'hurtle' is the USCIS/ELIS application part. we submitted payments. and now i am not sure if we have to submit more documents, or just do the payment/fee and then enter the US Port of Entry.

Make sure that you are not flying into Detroit. From what the Korean forums say about it, it is a hellhole, as far as immigration is concerned. Supposedly, they turn people away rather often, and force them to return to their countries.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

After you submit the payment, i think the only thing left to do is enter the port entry.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
Regarding the fees : We paid 420 when filing, 230 for my medical and 230 when we went for the interview (dollars) .Is there any other fee outstanding ?
I am currently waiting for my passport, it should be here within the day or two

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Regarding the fees : We paid 420 when filing, 230 for my medical and 230 when we went for the interview (dollars) .Is there any other fee outstanding ?

When you receive your Passport, it will come with your documents. in a package that says "Do Not Open". 
as it says, DO NOT OPEN it. the only one who will open it is the Port Of Entry officer.

The packet will have some loose papers attached to it. explaining that you need to pay a $164 fee for the processing of I-551.  *green card*
this payment is to be made online. all instructions are in the paper.

again, if you see something that says "do not open". then DO NOT open it.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
Finally got my passport (flight is tomo,so was a little panicked about it all ) ,and my visa says expiration Nov 30? It is a CR-1 , what does this mean ?we are quite confused as we thought it is valid for two years until you reapply for permanent residency ?

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

When you receive your Passport, it will come with your documents. in a package that says "Do Not Open". 
as it says, DO NOT OPEN it. the only one who will open it is the Port Of Entry officer.

The packet will have some loose papers attached to it. explaining that you need to pay a $164 fee for the processing of I-551.  *green card*

The passport comes inside the sealed envelope that you cannot open???

BTW, if you decide to apply for the CR-1 visa and your health check expires, does that mean you start over or that you can just do a new health check and keep the status?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2014, 08:57:16 AM »
Finally got my passport (flight is tomo,so was a little panicked about it all ) ,and my visa says expiration Nov 30? It is a CR-1 , what does this mean ?we are quite confused as we thought it is valid for two years until you reapply for permanent residency ?

:O wow. last minute eh?

did you pay the USCISELIS fee?

happy travels. good luck to you.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »

BTW, if you decide to apply for the CR-1 visa and your health check expires, does that mean you start over or that you can just do a new health check and keep the status?
Maybe my explanation was a bit hard to understand.
when you get a package, you will receive the following items INSIDE the box.

1) Passport
2) Letter
3) Brownish-Yellow packet that says "DO NOT OPEN". It may/may not have a a paper stapled to the front, which has information specific to your case.
4) another 'loose' paper, probably pink, with English and another language (depending on where you are applying from. since we are in Korea, it will most likely be English and Korean) that explains you have a fee to pay, in order to process a I-551 Request.

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »

Maybe my explanation was a bit hard to understand.
when you get a package, you will receive the following items INSIDE the box.

1) Passport
2) Letter
3) Brownish-Yellow packet that says "DO NOT OPEN". It may/may not have a a paper stapled to the front, which has information specific to your case.
4) another 'loose' paper, probably pink, with English and another language (depending on where you are applying from. since we are in Korea, it will most likely be English and Korean) that explains you have a fee to pay, in order to process a I-551 Request.

Yeah,pushed it  a bit , but glad it worked out :-) What was the date of expiration on your wife's visa iamhart??

Offline mogbert

• Veteran
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2014, 09:46:57 PM »
For those of you who have completed the process, in hindsight would you pay $1500 to hire an immigration lawyer friend to do the paperwork for you?    Or do you think it's easy enough to do it yourself?

Offline aceleste327

• Waygookin
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2014, 10:47:59 AM »
For those of you who have completed the process, in hindsight would you pay $1500 to hire an immigration lawyer friend to do the paperwork for you?    Or do you think it's easy enough to do it yourself?

Hell. No.

My husband and I went for his interview on Friday and he was approved and the only help we got was from online blogs, this forum, and visajourney.com. We met two girls there who were applying for fiancee visas and they both had hired and paid immigration lawyers and both of them were turned away for having the wrong paperwork.

If you really want to hire someone to take the stress off of you, I would recommend doing your own research on the side to make sure you have everything you need in order.

Offline Sprite06

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • Waygook Turtle
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »
Submitted the initial i-129f last month.  Received the first NOA in the mail.  Waiting on the second.

(Living in the States, Korean fiance moving to USA)

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
It's been a while but I thought I should update.  Yesterday my wife received her actual green card!  We hadn't been married for 2 years when we entered the US so we had to do the CR-1 visa. That means in 2 more years her CR-1 green card will expire.  90 days before then we apply (and pay) to lift the conditions and she becomes a regular permanent resident.  I think 3 years after that, she can take the history/government test and all that jazz to become a citizen.  Definitely don't pay a lawyer 1500 unless there is a good reason to...like without a lawyer your spouse may not be granted a visa due to legal issues.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018