December 14, 2018, 01:35:44 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 171145 times)

Offline Madmartigan

• Adventurer
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
We got our Packet 3 invitation/instructions after exactly 4 weeks, so it certainly varies.  I was actually writing them an email (CIS.Seoul@uscis.dhs.gov) when it popped up in my inbox.  Definitely email if it has been 5 weeks - I received a same-day response almost every time I had questions.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
My visa petition is for my wife, who is not Korean. so we filled with the Chicago Lock Box.
Recieved June 6. Accepted into Process June 11. NOA/I-797c (? the notice of action) sent out June 11. No instructions on it. just 'wait'.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline koreanate08

• Newgookin
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
I am going through the CR-1 process with my wife now. We have our interview next Friday. I've never had trouble getting a hold of a person at USCIS. You just need to make sure you call within their business hours, which are M-F 9:30am to 11:30am, and 1:00pm to 3:00pm. The number I called is 02-397-4548.

Offline koreanate08

• Newgookin
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
Also, if you are an American man married to a Korean woman, your wife might find the naver community cafe called "국제커플카페" helpful. My wife has found a lot of helpful information on there from people who have done this before. It's only for Korean women who are dating or married to foreign men, though.

Offline elee09

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
Yes, you should have filed directly with the embassy in Seoul. Contact the embassy to see if you can have it transferred there or even cancelled. You're looking at a year or more of waiting as opposed to a few months if you apply directly through the Seoul consulate.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
yeah. i called. they told me i made an error and now i have to wait for the processing time. didnt even get to ask about canceling it.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »
It seems like everyone here has been through the I-130 process already and I was just wondering if the person who took the I-130 paperwork from you asked for your marriage certificate?  It was only after an hour of leaving the consulate that I went through the documents I had leftover (he didn't seem to want any evidence of a bonafide marriage either)  that I realized he never asked us for our marriage certificate.  I'm married to a Korean---not sure if that makes a difference.  I called the number he gave me several times to no avail.  Can anyone help answer my question?  Thanks in advance!

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »
The marriage certificate is a required document. Did he make a photo-copy of it?

When i did the Philipine-Korea visa application, they wanted a copy. and to see the original.

we currently have the original with us. Also, when we have done applications to the USA, they wanted copies of all documents, unless specifically requiring an original.

i would 1) check instructions
2) email them.
3) call again

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
The marriage certificate is a required document. Did he make a photo-copy of it?

When i did the Philipine-Korea visa application, they wanted a copy. and to see the original.

we currently have the original with us. Also, when we have done applications to the USA, they wanted copies of all documents, unless specifically requiring an original.

i would 1) check instructions
2) email them.
3) call again

Nope, he did not ask for the marriage certificate at all, so no photocopy of it either.  All he said was, "hand me the documents as I ask for them" so I just handed him whatever he asked for and no mention of the marriage certificate.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
i would absolutely double check with them in this case

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply!  I emailed them about it.

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
Yeah they kept ours. Try to contact them but I wouldn't worry too much.  They will probably contact you within the next week.  They lost my picture, called my wife and had her bring another picture.  They let her right in and it took all of 5 minutes.  It is annoying though, especially if you aren't located close to Seoul.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 07:56:38 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  That is just wrong though.  (Losing your picture and having to go back to give them another one)

The whole point of them making you go in person in the first place is to make sure you have all the necessary documents.  I don't live close to Seoul and it's hard to get days off to go to the embassy.  I really hope they can do w/o our marriage certificate (probably not though!) 

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
I'm going today to the embassy to begin everything, I-130 form. Thanks everyone for all inputs. When I get a chance I will post how it went, any suggestions I can give, etc.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
From experience, double check everything even if the guy doesn't ask for a certain document.  And don't put your passport photos in little plastic baggies like I did (he was really annoyed that I did that :huh:)

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:59 AM »
As promised, here is a recount of my visit to the US embassy to begin getting my wife her permanent residence card.

Paperwork needed:
I-130

G-325A (two- one for the immigrant and one for the petitioner)

Two passport type photos

Marriage Certificate (We have two- US and Korean. You need at least 혼인관계 증명서)

Family Registry--가족관계 증명서

Immigrantsí birth certificate 기본 증명서

Passport Copies- both people

Petitionerís ARC card- they will copy

NOTE: all Korean documents need to be translated. My wife is an English teacher and was able to translate the documents fine. She found some empty templates of the Korean documents online and simply filled in our information. But your translator (be it your wife/husband or another entity) needs to make some sort of form affirming they translated the documents and their qualification for doing so.

Money- $420 dollars or equivalent Korean won. On 11-14 the embassyís exchange rate was $1 for 1100 won

Some evidence of couple relationship- we used our daughter's birth certificate (again, give a copy)

Process: Make sure to get there on time and enter through the IMMIGRATION door, not the U.S. citizenís gate. The immigrant/ non-immigrant door is right across from the Kyobo building. Sometimes this entrance has LONG lines, for us on Friday at 1:40 pm- nobody was waiting.

Show the security person your appointment page, go through metal detectors, give them your cell phone(s) and they will give you a neon yellow laminated number card (to get your phone back).

Proceed up to the third floor, on your left is a window (many windows, but probably only the one on the far left will be open). The person will ask for your paperwork- give all paperwork. He/she will staple your photos to the papers, give a few stamps and then ask you to go to the second floor, cashier window.

Give the cashier your money and another paper (given to you on the third floor). Cashier will give you a receipt and another green paper to fill out. The paper is contact information sheet: put names and email address to be notified of changes and such.

Go back to the third floor, give the green sheet and receipt to the man/woman at the window. He will tell you that in 30-40 days you will receive an email with further instructions (packet 3) or if there are any problems.

Leave.

Total time we were there was around 20 mins, BUT as noted before the line to get into the building, and immigrant services was not busy at all!!!!

Questions, let me know. I will update when next step is upon my wife and I. But not for a while.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 01:49:45 PM »
As promised, here is a recount of my visit to the US embassy to begin getting my wife her permanent residence card.

Paperwork needed:
I-130

G-325A (two- one for the immigrant and one for the petitioner)

Two passport type photos

Marriage Certificate (We have two- US and Korean. You need at least 혼인관계 증명서)

Family Registry--가족관계 증명서

Immigrantsí birth certificate 기본 증명서

Passport Copies- both people

Petitionerís ARC card- they will copy

Hmmmm...the guy didn't ask for my ARC card nor my marriage certificate, but he did take the 혼인관계 증명서, but I agree with everything else.  We were there less that 20 minutes also.  I wish they would keep things consistent with the paperwork though.

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
The ARC card request was also a surprise to me- it was the last thing he asked me and of course I didn't challenge him. Thankfully I keep it on me at all times of course.  We gave him our American and Korean marriage certificate only because it's registered in America and we go by that date. As long as you have at least the Korean marriage certificate- you are golden. You must prove in fact you are married.

And by teh way- no one need try and email and call. Pointless. AND when I brought this up to guy, he did share that when it comes to questions about Packet 3 items, the questions are sent to China, then back and forth talking with the Seoul Embassy, then China responds. He wasn't too clear why those questions are sent to China, but my guess is size of staff is small here in Korea.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

And by teh way- no one need try and email and call. Pointless. AND when I brought this up to guy, he did share that when it comes to questions about Packet 3 items, the questions are sent to China, then back and forth talking with the Seoul Embassy, then China responds. He wasn't too clear why those questions are sent to China, but my guess is size of staff is small here in Korea.

Thanks for the update!  And yeah it's been a week since I emailed them.  Now I know why I haven't gotten a response yet  :huh:

Offline toddc06

• Super Waygook
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
I emailed them on 2 different occasions and got a relatively quick response both times.  But if you do email them, be specific with your questions. 

I had to email them because my spouse has lived abroad for an extended period of time since the age of 16, so she will need a background check from the country where she lived.  The process for people who lived in New Zealand is a little complicated.  The first email I sent was a little vague asking about the process, and I got a response in about 3 hours with a copy and paste of the website info which I was asking about. (The website was unclear which is why I sent the email in the first place)

The second email I sent had MUCH more specific questions about the process.  I sent that on a Friday and received the response the following Wednesday with very clear instructions.

In my case they both responded, but the more specific email took more time to respond to.  I hope you get your answers!