March 22, 2019, 01:29:42 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 175585 times)

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »
"I want to start the process for her permanent residence application, but because of our vague and distant plans for departure, I am wondering about how best to time the start of this application process. I know that the medical exam is the determining factor. We need to arrive in the U.S. within six months from the date of the medical exam. And, I know that we have to have the medical exam results in order to do the last interview, as far as I understand it."

What if you took a vacation? Just get her her visa, go to the USA (within 6 months), and get the Green Card or Residence card.
Then badda-bing badda-boom, she can enter/leave again.  The 6-months is the factor that prevents her from entering based on an initial expiration.

*this is my 'problem solving' skill. my wife, came to korea. she came on a visitor visa. she could only come (and leave) once on the visitor Visa. but when she got here (as most others have done too, and immigration even recommends it) we went to immigration and changed her visa to Spouse Visa, and got her a Alien Card. Now she can come and go as she pleases.  Im just speculating. but that could be a viable answer.
why?
1) once she enters the USA, she becomes a CR or IR (depending on how long you have been married, and if she is applying for Green Card and SS card).

nah...never mind....i dont want to get your hopes up.
please research 'what happens after my spouse enters the USA'  or "what are the next steps after we enter the USA', and focus on the 'can she leave/return'.
i have seen threads about it, and i know travel.state has info. but i am not at a place where i can copy, paste, and quote information for you.

Let me know too.
Best of luck.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline Bunk

• Adventurer
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Thanks.

I will look into what you mention.

I wondered about that myself... about her going to the US with me on a trip to get it done.

But, to make sure I understand you, you're saying, start the process, get to the point of the interview and the medical check, etc., and then take a vacation to enter to the U.S., obtain her CR or IR, and then come back to Korea to live? You think that might be OK to do? She doesn't have to stay in the US for a certain amount of time after getting the IR/CR?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 09:34:39 AM by Bunk »

Offline Bunk

• Adventurer
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »
This is for iamrhart or anyone else for whom this matters:

Visajourney.com seems to have good information on this issue.

It looks like it has to do with maintaining a residence in the US more days out of the year than not. So, if your spouse is not living in the US most of the days of the year, that might send up red flags in the eyes of US Immigration, especially if her stay away from the US is over 6 months.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/487177-how-often-can-a-gc-holder-leave-the-us/

There's a post on that forum by a man who married a Chinese woman.

He seems to have gone through this issue and has this to say about it:

"Live in the USA and visit other countries for less than a year but not too frequently and most folks are fine.  Start spending enough time outside the USA to give the impression you don't really live here anymore and you'll be in trouble.

In 2006, because of CBP (Customs and Border Protection) screw-ups when my wife and daughter entered, I had several conversations with a CBP station chief (don't know if that's the actual title).  As an aside, I mentioned our future plan of spending half our time in China.  He told me that would endanger my wife's status, and it would be best if she Naturalized prior to implementing such a plan."

There are other posts on that thread that are longer and go into more detail about the policies.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:48:16 PM by Bunk »

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks.

I will look into what you mention.

I wondered about that myself... about her going to the US with me on a trip to get it done.

But, to make sure I understand you, you're saying, start the process, get to the point of the interview and the medical check, etc., and then take a vacation to enter to the U.S., obtain her CR or IR, and then come back to Korea to live? You think that might be OK to do? She doesn't have to stay in the US for a certain amount of time after getting the IR/CR?

yes and no.
what im saying is, get the visa process done close to the time you wanted to 'go to the usa', and once she is there, get her the greencard. and she might have the ability to come and go.

like our visas. we are on E2 visas (most of us English Teachers), and the E2 *generaly* is multiple Entry. so we can come and go.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
This is for iamrhart or anyone else for whom this matters:

Visajourney.com seems to have good information on this issue.

It looks like it has to do with maintaining a residence in the US more days out of the year than not. So, if your spouse is not living in the US most of the days of the year, that might send up red flags in the eyes of US Immigration, especially if her stay away from the US is over 6 months.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/487177-how-often-can-a-gc-holder-leave-the-us/

There's a post on that forum by a man who married a Chinese woman.

He seems to have gone through this issue and has this to say about it:

"Live in the USA and visit other countries for less than a year but not too frequently and most folks are fine.  Start spending enough time outside the USA to give the impression you don't really live here anymore and you'll be in trouble.

In 2006, because of CBP (Customs and Border Protection) screw-ups when my wife and daughter entered, I had several conversations with a CBP station chief (don't know if that's the actual title).  As an aside, I mentioned our future plan of spending half our time in China.  He told me that would endanger my wife's status, and it would be best if she Naturalized prior to implementing such a plan."

There are other posts on that thread that are longer and go into more detail about the policies.

this is what you want.
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/types/family/immediate-relative.html#17

Offline Monfab

• Veteran
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:07 AM »
Hi guys, I'm doing my medical in May but just wanted to know if I had to get the results translated or is everything in English? Thanks
Veni, Vidi, Vici.......... but I got a little cold

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
1) call the hospital with the number provided in the packet.
2) talk to the Visa Section, for traveling to the USA
3) schedule appointment
4) your results will be in English. (at least mine were)

Offline Monfab

• Veteran
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Thanks iamrhart!

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #188 on: May 02, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
for all who have their interveiws scheduled. were you allowed to change the interview date?
im sure that having a later date is fine. but were you allowed to change to an EARLIER date?

also, i have a list of documents that are needed, and they have codes, and its confusing as hell.

what documents did you bring?
*i will review this thread too for the answer to the docs. part*

thanks.

Offline Ley_Druid

• The Legend
« Reply #189 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:10 AM »
I am here to usurp the thread! Bwahahaha!

Actually, I hope iamrhart's question doesn't get lost in the mix. I too, have a question about housing.

What did all of you do about housing? Did you put down your parents address or did you go home and buy a house first? My girlfriend and I are pretty flexible, but our long term plan changed and we want to get married a bit early. We will have a wedding in Hawaii probably next year.

I don't have a residence back home and I am actually willing to live in just about any state, well, those that have the jobs I am looking for, which is more than half of them, but I am sure that I wouldn't live with my folks. Do they care or should I put down my parents' address as the location we will move to? If we change residence, is that a big deal? I know we would have to register is, and do so asap, but would it jeopardize her visa?

Thanks much and happy Friday with a four day weekend! 8)

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #190 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
Correspondence Instructions     C
IV App. 1                                     R
IV App. 2                                     R
Passport                                     Y
B.C                                              o
Adopt.                                         F
Mar. Cert                                     o
Mar. Ter.                                      F
C.rec                                           F                                         
Fin. Ev.                                        Y
Mil. Rec                                        F
SK Polic. Cert.                             o
X(country) Police. Certif.             o
Fee Pay.                                     $
Photo.                                        A
Pet. Mar. Cert.                            F
Pet. BC                                       F
Pet. Mar. Term.                           F

Right. so....for those of you who know what those letters mean....which ones are the ones i need to bring? i mean....some of them stand for "NVC sent to the Embassy". but does that mean i need to bring it too?
which ones did you bring?

thanks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:01:28 AM by iamrhart »

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #191 on: May 02, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
What address did you list as your permanent residence? when you filled out your I-130 Application?

Offline Maureen

• Veteran
« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
For those that are now in the US:

How long did it take for your spouse to receive their green card in the mail after entering the US? And did they send their social security number by mail too? We checked the ssn by mail, but I heard some cases of people still having to go to the ssn office to apply for it.

Also when can they make an ID? Do we have to wait for the green card and ssn first?

Thank you~  :azn:

Offline aceleste327

• Waygookin
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
Hey everyone!
Quick question about submitting the I-130 petition. I emailed the embassy and they told me that I need to submit my husband's original birth certificate when I go to submit the I-130, but many of you on this thread state that they only took it when you went for your interview.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this?

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
  • Living the dream since 2005....
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2014, 02:44:46 AM »
For those that are now in the US:

How long did it take for your spouse to receive their green card in the mail after entering the US? And did they send their social security number by mail too? We checked the ssn by mail, but I heard some cases of people still having to go to the ssn office to apply for it.

Also when can they make an ID? Do we have to wait for the green card and ssn first?

Thank you~  :azn:

We have been here a month and still no Green Card, but with the visa in the passport and stamp it has been no problem doing things.

A week or so after entering you should check with the social security office to see if they have an applications for you.  We checked the box on the application to do it automatically but when we called the social security office they said we did not have a completed application.  SS said the system is really sensitive and will often reject applications.  We went to the office and reapplied then got the card in a week.

Offline aceleste327

• Waygookin
« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »
Did any of you have trouble making an appointment on infopass? The whole month of June just became visible today (up until this point I could only see up to the end of May) and there are no available appointments for the entire month. Will dates become available closer to the date? Thanks.

Offline Monfab

• Veteran
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
I just received my medical results yesterday so now I have all my documents.

I need to get my Korean police check translated (And maybe apostilled?) Does anybody know where I can get this done?

Thanks guys!

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
I just received my medical results yesterday so now I have all my documents.

I need to get my Korean police check translated (And maybe apostilled?) Does anybody know where I can get this done?

Thanks guys!
I believe others have said you can do it yourself. check around page 7. that should show you the Record Check and the English translation.

Also, for other readers, any last minute advice or reminders about the Interview? headed to an interview soon, and am getting nervous.

Offline Monfab

• Veteran
« Reply #198 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »

I believe others have said you can do it yourself. check around page 7. that should show you the Record Check and the English translation.

That's awesome thanks. I also have one more question, in pack 3 it says

"You must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and
the country of your current residence if your presence there
was for 6 months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries
are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16."

I have, CRC from:

my country of nationality
Country of residence
And a CRC from Japan (I lived there for a couple of years)

My question is, I lived in Australia for 8 months. Am I right in thinking I don't need a CRC from there?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »

That's awesome thanks. I also have one more question, in pack 3 it says

"You must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and
the country of your current residence if your presence there
was for 6 months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries
are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16."

I have, CRC from:

my country of nationality
Country of residence
And a CRC from Japan (I lived there for a couple of years)

My question is, I lived in Australia for 8 months. Am I right in thinking I don't need a CRC from there?

Is it your interview? or your partners' interview?
if your interview, then yes, you need the CRC, if the partner is going for the interview, then she/he will need the CRC from anywhere they lived (since the age of 16) for more than 6 months.