March 23, 2019, 12:03:29 AM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 175633 times)

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
About the medical exam: do you need to give the doctor a record of vaccinations or will they do the necessary titer tests to determine whether or not you've been vaccinated?

I don't think they do any kind of test to determine if you've been vaccinated in the past.

It's not a problem if your spouse doesn't have it but your spouse will have to get additional vaccines because they won't know which vaccines he/she has had in the past. We had to pay extra for additional vaccines and they were not cheap. 

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
As Shinu mentioned, they are 'not cheap'.
when i talked to the Nurse, the cost of the Exam is 190,000. And the vaccines, (extra) will run you over 300k.
budget accordingly
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline fkruz47

• Explorer
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. guys

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »
The list of vaccines is:
1) Hep A
2) Hep B
3) Flu
4) Flu B (HIB)
5)Meningococcal
6) Measles
7) Mumps
8) Pneumococcal
9) Pertussis
10) Polio
11) Rotavirus
12) Rubella
13) Tetanus
14) Diptheria Toxoids (if you mix with Tetanus *Tdap, a combo shot, then you can substitute it for the Tetanus)
15) Varicella

Shinu, do you know approximately what they ran? what would the 'average' be for one injection, would you estimate, based on what you went through? *please PM me, if you can answer this. if not, could you point me in the right direction? thanks.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »
The list of vaccines is:
1) Hep A
2) Hep B
3) Flu
4) Flu B (HIB)
5)Meningococcal
6) Measles
7) Mumps
8) Pneumococcal
9) Pertussis
10) Polio
11) Rotavirus
12) Rubella
13) Tetanus
14) Diptheria Toxoids (if you mix with Tetanus *Tdap, a combo shot, then you can substitute it for the Tetanus)
15) Varicella

Shinu, do you know approximately what they ran? what would the 'average' be for one injection, would you estimate, based on what you went through? *please PM me, if you can answer this. if not, could you point me in the right direction? thanks.

I'm not really sure how much each shot cost.  I do know that for 4 shots, we had to pay about 200,000 won more.  The one I do remember was the flu shot and that was cheapest one at 35,000 won.   

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
wow. well, i know this past winter we had (both the wife and i) flu shots. so that is a 'plus'...
i tend to get them each year, because i work in close proximity with children. ya know.

1st served: Children and Elderly
2nd Served: at-risk-workers (those who work with Children and elderly)
3rd served: Parents
4th served: All others who wish to receive it.

at least thats what i remember hearing when they started the vaccines, about 5 or 6 years ago.

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
Hello people involved in this process.  I have a question and confirmation if you wouldn't mind helping. 
I'm an American male, marrying a Korean woman.  I have plenty of time to finish all of this and am just about to start this process. 
Am I correct that all I need to for the initial phase is:

*I-130 application
*2x G-325A application
*Original and copy of our Korea marriage certificate (translated into English as well)
*Copy of both our passports
*2x pictures of my wife
*Money
??
How is the money paid?  Can we use our credit card or should I be bringing $420 in cash or won with me?

One other question.  Does my wife need to be with me for me to file this paperwork?  It seems that all I am doing is paying and dropping off documents, and she just needs to be present for the big interview after we get packet 3 documents in line?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Offline jebckr

• Adventurer
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
Hi, whoever answers Thedsr's question, could you also answer mine?

I'm in the same situation as thedsr except my wife and I are already legally married in Korea and in the US.  What paperwork do I need to file?  I've been told by some that I can't do it at the embassy, but then others say I can.  Could someone clear this up?

We live here in Korea, btw.

Offline Buffalo-hunter

• Veteran
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2014, 06:52:27 AM »
To thedsr- That list sounds mostly right for the initial paperwork. You also need to have a Korean family registry and your wife's birth certificate, both translated into English as well. Do make sure you have your ARC card. it was on the list of required documents, but they asked me for it and made a copy. I believe they do accept international credit cards and cash. I never wanted to do credit card- god forbid they won't accept my card, so I always paid cash. Does your wife need to be there- I think technically no, as this paperwork is for the petitioner to file (which is you asking for the government to let her in). BUT I think it's good measure to have her there. If anything she will be familiar with the layout of the building, security process, etc. so later in case she has to go alone, she is more comfortable.

to Jebckr- I am not sure what they are telling you. I too had a legal wedding in America and Korea. But to get a spouse visa (immigrant visa) you have to go to an embassy since you are in Korea. If you move back to America and your wife stays in Korea, you would need to begin the papework in America, but that is only because you are in America.

To both: I made a post about this several months ago. I can't get the link so I will paste it all below:

As promised, here is a recount of my visit to the US embassy to begin getting my wife her permanent residence card.

Paperwork needed:
I-130

G-325A (two- one for the immigrant and one for the petitioner)

Two passport type photos

Marriage Certificate (We have two- US and Korean. You need at least 혼인관계 증명서)

Family Registry--가족관계 증명서

Immigrantsí birth certificate 기본 증명서

Passport Copies- both people

Petitionerís ARC card- they will copy

NOTE: all Korean documents need to be translated. My wife is an English teacher and was able to translate the documents fine. She found some empty templates of the Korean documents online and simply filled in our information. But your translator (be it your wife/husband or another entity) needs to make some sort of form affirming they translated the documents and their qualification for doing so.

Money- $420 dollars or equivalent Korean won. On 11-14 the embassyís exchange rate was $1 for 1100 won

Some evidence of couple relationship- we used our daughter's birth certificate (again, give a copy)

Process: Make sure to get there on time and enter through the IMMIGRATION door, not the U.S. citizenís gate. The immigrant/ non-immigrant door is right across from the Kyobo building. Sometimes this entrance has LONG lines, for us on Friday at 1:40 pm- nobody was waiting.

Show the security person your appointment page, go through metal detectors, give them your cell phone(s) and they will give you a neon yellow laminated number card (to get your phone back).

Proceed up to the third floor, on your left is a window (many windows, but probably only the one on the far left will be open). The person will ask for your paperwork- give all paperwork. He/she will staple your photos to the papers, give a few stamps and then ask you to go to the second floor, cashier window.

Give the cashier your money and another paper (given to you on the third floor). Cashier will give you a receipt and another green paper to fill out. The paper is contact information sheet: put names and email address to be notified of changes and such.

Go back to the third floor, give the green sheet and receipt to the man/woman at the window. He will tell you that in 30-40 days you will receive an email with further instructions (packet 3) or if there are any problems.

Leave.

Total time we were there was around 20 mins, BUT as noted before the line to get into the building, and immigrant services was not busy at all!!!!

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:16 AM »
Hello people involved in this process.  I have a question and confirmation if you wouldn't mind helping. 
I'm an American male, marrying a Korean woman.  I have plenty of time to finish all of this and am just about to start this process. 
Am I correct that all I need to for the initial phase is:

*I-130 application
*2x G-325A application
*Original and copy of our Korea marriage certificate (translated into English as well)
*Copy of both our passports
*2x pictures of my wife
*Money
??
How is the money paid?  Can we use our credit card or should I be bringing $420 in cash or won with me?

One other question.  Does my wife need to be with me for me to file this paperwork?  It seems that all I am doing is paying and dropping off documents, and she just needs to be present for the big interview after we get packet 3 documents in line?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Paperwork:
I-130 AND all supporting documents (you will know what you need for supporting documents by reading the instructions)
ALWAYS hold onto the ORIGINALS unless specifically asked for, otherwise, submit copies.
Bio pages for both of you.
Biographical Page of both passports.  for example, they dont care about page 11 with a visa to ___ country. they just want to know your information. like an ID

2x Passport-style photos
Money is paid through "money order" it would be beneficial to have a friend/family in the USA send you a Money Order, as i have not found anywhere that will do it here in Korea.....on second thought...maybe western union? (dont quote me on that one though).

i must stress, that you 1) file here in south korea. dont go the 'usa route' like i did.
2) read the instructions associated with EACH form.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »

Your wife needs to be there with you.  The person who took my paperwork was adamant that your spouse be with you when you drop off the paperwork and even made my husband come to the window with me.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Confused now.

after submiting the DS260.  do i need to mail the original documents *or photocopies* (supporting documents) to the NVC? can i schedule an appointment?

could someone explain what i need to do next? the websites isnt very clear about it.

Offline jebckr

• Adventurer
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
Thank you very much Buffalo Hunter.  That is exactly the info I needed.  You are a lifesaver.

Also, how long was the total process for you and your wife?  What exactly was required once you got packet 3?  And is the total cost $420 or is there another fee at the end?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:47:14 PM by jebckr »

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »
Where/what do we do to get a 'certified' copy?

is it the same as a "Notarized" copy? where do they do 'notary' services?

*korean name for a Notary?*

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

I think a certified copy is the copy you get directly from the place you are asking for a certain document.  For example the police check.  The document they give you would be a certified copy. 

Ask your spouse to search for places that does notary services in Korea on Naver.  Most law offices will do them. 

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
soooo....
pretty much,
if my wife is from 'out of country'  (not south korea, and not american), we have to get the copies from the country she came from...right?

Offline stuck30

• Newgookin
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »
So I got my approval on Friday. I was wondering how long it took people to receive their passports back with their visa?

iamrhart - you need to get certified copies of birth certificates/police certificates from your wife's home country. I am from the UK so these didn't need to be translated. A certified copy is one that comes directly from the place issuing it.

Just a word of warning it seems that the notary system in Korea has changed. Now the person who translated the document has to get it notarised and has to take along proof of their qualifications in English.

Offline stuck30

• Newgookin
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2014, 10:22:11 AM »
We got married on 14th Feb and submitted the paperwork on 19th February. We received our packet about 3 weeks later and we made our appointment on 28th March. The visa was approved pretty quickly and I was only asked when we got married, where we met and what my husband's job is.

Make sure you have your tax returns going back three years as there was a couple in the embassy at the same time who had to come back with their tax returns from 2011 even though he was working in Korea at that time. 

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »
soooo....
pretty much,
if my wife is from 'out of country'  (not south korea, and not american), we have to get the copies from the country she came from...right?

Are you both out of the country?  If you are still here, you can go to the offices to pick up a copy.  If you're both not in Korea at the moment, yes, you might have to ask for them to send it to you.

Offline Bunk

• Adventurer
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:57 AM »
I have a question, the essentials of which I've highlighted in red if you don't want to read the longer bits.

However, first, I would like to thank everyone on this thread for sharing your information.

I've just read it all through, all 10 or so pages, and I feel like most of my basic questions have been answered here. This is invaluable for people like me who are just starting to navigate through this process. It's a great use of Waygook.org.

For background: I am a U.S. citizen married to a Korean. We are both living here in Korea. We are possibly moving to the United States next year around September 2015, but I'm not sure if that will be the actual date of our departure, or if we are going to put it off for a little longer.

I want to start the process for her permanent residence application, but because of our vague and distant plans for departure, I am wondering about how best to time the start of this application process. I know that the medical exam is the determining factor. We need to arrive in the U.S. within six months from the date of the medical exam. And, I know that we have to have the medical exam results in order to do the last interview, as far as I understand it.

So, my question is, considering that we won't leave until September 2015 or possibly later, can and should we go ahead and start the initial application with the I-130 this summer (2014)?

After that, we'd get packet 3 (depending on approval), then attempt to delay the final interview time and the medical exam for possibly June 2015 or some other time that is more fitting with our as-of-now-indefinite departure plans.

Is it possible to delay the application process like this?

Does it matter, or is there a time limitation (an expiration date) for scheduling the final interview starting from the time the I-130 is approved? Could I still schedule an interview six months or more after receiving Packet 3?

Can I start it in the next few months (Summer 2014) after we get our basic paperwork together, putting off our interview time and medical exam until some time in mid-2015? Or, should I just wait on the I-130 application until January or February 2015 because delaying the last phase of the process like that isn't wise or allowed, etc., for whatever reasons?

It seems like many people on this thread had problems opposite to mine. They wanted the process completed sooner rather than later. While I'm not interested in applying through the slower US-based authorities (I want to use the US Embassy in Seoul), I am obviously not in a hurry to get it all done in the next few months.

I actually need to wait for a while to nudge the post-medical exam time window in the right spot to fit with our possible departure in September 2015 (or later).

Thanks for any insight.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:42:58 AM by Bunk »