June 21, 2018, 04:34:20 PM

Author Topic: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread  (Read 161502 times)

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
  • Living the dream since 2005....
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2014, 10:51:40 AM »
I think for the US it is only is only a local check too.  But send USCIS an email to confirm.  They get back very quickly. Nothing has to be notarized. Just get this certificate  범죄경력 수사경력 회보서 from the Korean police.  I uploaded the translation earlier on in this thread just fill in your information.

Offline Maureen

• Veteran
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »
dont do it (the K visa)

i did that way. i started last year in June/July. and just now sent off my I-864. my way was through the USCIS in the USA, as per the instructions. i didnt find out until last Novermber/December that i should have used the Embassy here in SOuth Korea. sooo.....yeah....i applied for the I-130 and the K visa (using the I-129f), the 129F processed as fast as the I-130, but as soon as the I-130 was accepted, the 129F became obsolete.

Granted the 129F is free for a spouse, but its just extra work and waste of time.

if you change your address, you have to notify them. thats all i know about that situation.

But doesn't the I-129F allow your spouse to live and work in the states while the I-130 is pending? I'm getting nervous that his green card visa won't come out before I have to leave Korea. And doesn't the K-3/k-4 visa allow them to go together to the states?

Are you and your wife still in Korea now? How long will it take for you to receive her green card now? Good luck!!

Offline thedsr

• Veteran
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
It seems it would be a very bad idea to use the processing in America right now.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/Tablet/Oregonian/SharedArticle.aspx?href=ORE%2F2014%2F02%2F09&id=Ar00605

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
The I-129f (for a married couple) is a way to have the spouse enter the USA faster. yes.

here is the catch though.

1) the I-130 takes x months (depending what the time frame says on the USCIS website).
2) the I-129f ALSO takes Y months. after a couple months (around the time the Government Shut Down) the I-130 actually had a SHORTER processing time than the I-129f
3) travel.state has a good description of the process.

4) pretty much, as you "wait" for approval of the I-130, then the I-129f is a legitimate goal. but as soon as the USCIS/NVC approves the I-130 Application, then your I-129F is put in the trash...or where ever they put it

with my wife now. yes. dont have any idea about the greencard. we are still waiting on some other docs/process. as mentioned before, we took the path that was mentioned on the Instructions Packet, and not the 'inside information' that we should have gone through Seoul
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

Offline mfriend12

• Waygookin
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
Hi Maureen -

I just finished the CR-1 immigrant visa process in Seoul for my husband.

We finished the whole process from I-130 application to visa in hand in less than 2 months.. we could have done it faster if we were really in a hurry (and we even were delayed after the interview because we had to mail in one more form)

The I-129F "get your spouse there faster" route makes sense if you're applying to USCIS in the states where it can takes months and months, but it's really fast tracked here in Korea. I'd urge you to get everything you need ready to go and just get it done here. You can extend your E2 visa for a few weeks after your contract I hear. Better to get it all done while you have the opportunity.

We didn't find out about this until we were scheduling appointments, but it takes a week to get the medical check results, so make sure you leave time between medical appointment and interview.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »
I have a question about that

is the interview scheduled by the embassy? or do they do a 'sign up' and you select the date and time from a website?

i know when i went to the US Embassy in the Philippines, we had to choose dates from a calendar, and then arrive at a certain time.

Is that how it works here? or do they send a letter/notice/email with a date and time? (of THEIR choosing)
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:09 AM »
I have a question about that

is the interview scheduled by the embassy? or do they do a 'sign up' and you select the date and time from a website?

i know when i went to the US Embassy in the Philippines, we had to choose dates from a calendar, and then arrive at a certain time.

Is that how it works here? or do they send a letter/notice/email with a date and time? (of THEIR choosing)

Once your 1-130 is approved, they will send you the packet 3 email.  In the packet 3 document, there is a  link you click that will direct you to a website where you can log in and make your appointment. You can choose the date but I think the time is the same for everyone, which is 8am.  It's on a first come, first serve basis once you get to the consulate.  When you get there, you have to take a number and wait.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:51:27 AM by Shinu »

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »
yeah....my 'packet three' isnt applicable...for slightly different reasons.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »
you know. i absolutely HATE how they word these documents.  :rolleyes:

On the ceac website, it says " ...for each applicant to complete online form DS-260..."

THEN i read this
"You and each family member immigrating with you to the United States"
"You, your spouse, and qualified unmarried children, if any, must complete Form DS-260, one for each person applying for an immigrant visa, and obtain supporting documents."

so.....if i am the American and my wife is the one who would be 'immigrating'...that means we only fill one out for her right?

granted this might be a really easy answer, and i will smack my head for being stupid. but i just cant process it right now.

so the question is.
Do i need to fill out a DS-260 for myself. and have my wife fill one out for herself? OR is my wife the only one who needs it?

Offline Maureen

• Veteran
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
iamrhart-
Do you happen to know the the USCIS int'l number? And how can we request a Local Police record? Thanks for the quick replies.

@asalchert@gmail.com-
Thank you for the warning. I'm trying to stay put in Korea until his CR-1 visa is all finished. But I can only stay until April under my E2 visa. I'll resort to the I-129F as a backup. Can I ask how long the whole process took for you? Thanks for the help~

Hi Maureen -

I just finished the CR-1 immigrant visa process in Seoul for my husband.

We finished the whole process from I-130 application to visa in hand in less than 2 months.. we could have done it faster if we were really in a hurry (and we even were delayed after the interview because we had to mail in one more form)

The I-129F "get your spouse there faster" route makes sense if you're applying to USCIS in the states where it can takes months and months, but it's really fast tracked here in Korea. I'd urge you to get everything you need ready to go and just get it done here. You can extend your E2 visa for a few weeks after your contract I hear. Better to get it all done while you have the opportunity.

We didn't find out about this until we were scheduling appointments, but it takes a week to get the medical check results, so make sure you leave time between medical appointment and interview.

Can you tell me what documents they collected from you during the interview? I still haven't  received my packet 3 yet and it has been almost 3 weeks since I filed the I-130. So in the mean time, I'm trying to gather everything. Is there a number or email I can use to contact them to ask about the progress?

I'm latest I can extend my E2 visa is to late April... do you think that will be enough time? There's no downside, if we just get the medical check down now, right?

Shinu-
Is it hard to make an appointment for the interview? Like are there many dates available or quite limited?

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:58 AM »
'calling' the USCIS has been a waste of time for me. they NEVER answer my questions, and they CONSTANTLY put me in circles.

i actually got rather 'livid' with one of the agents. after she told me to call the Embassy i interrupted her mid-sentence and said (similar)

"I appreciate you providing me the number, however i have called this office (Seoul Embassy Switchboard) before, i have called the NVC and the USCIS in the USA. All of you keep refering to the other office for providing information. It is getting irritating that i am going in circles."

she then provided me with an Email that responded within 48hours.  however the information provided to me was not very helpful.

anyways, the Criminal Record Check in South Korea?  just go to a local police department and (there was a previous post with a template) ask them to do a CRC check.  Also, in the Packet Three there is a list of required documents. they provide you with a Korean and English translation. I am sure if you bring the Korean part that asks for the Criminal Record Check, the Officers will understand.

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
Yes the wording is difficult.  Just remember your wife is the only immigrant.  So she only needs to fill out the form.  Other places it will ask if your spouse is immigrating with your wife.  There the answer is no, too.  Since you are a citizens you are not immigrating even though you are moving together. 

Here is the packet 3 pdf to check things out before you get the email.

Offline Shinu

• Adventurer
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
Maureen---as far as appointments go for the interview, it really just depends.  When I was making an appointment, there were openings from Monday through Friday and I think maybe for each day, they have a certain number of appointments open. Note that everyone's appointment is at 8am---first come, first serve.

If you're asking about the 1-130 appointments----same days, but u can choose the time.

And for my husband and I---our 1-130 was approved in 2 weeks.  I could have made an appointment for the interview the next day if I wanted to because there were plenty of openings in nov and dec but I chose to stall the process  for about 2 months and made an appointment for late Jan instead.  You can probably get this all done within 2 months or even less if you have an easy case and all your paperwork is in order.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:49:16 AM by Shinu »

Offline mfriend12

• Waygookin
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »

Can you tell me what documents they collected from you during the interview? I still haven't  received my packet 3 yet and it has been almost 3 weeks since I filed the I-130. So in the mean time, I'm trying to gather everything. Is there a number or email I can use to contact them to ask about the progress?

I'm latest I can extend my E2 visa is to late April... do you think that will be enough time? There's no downside, if we just get the medical check down now, right?

Check out this link: there's a lot of good info including the exact form that they will send you for packet 3 (it's just sent via email, there is no literal "packet"): http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=South%20Korea&cty=Seoul

Look under "Packet 3 Contains" for details about packet 3.

It took us 3 weeks to get our Packet 3 by email, so I'd expect it any day.

I'd say make your medical check appt now. The only downside is that your visa validity is tied to your medical results. You have to enter the US within 6 months of your medical check. But it sounds like you are ready to go ASAP, so I'd say go ahead and do it.

It's possible to get your visa within a few weeks after you receive your packet 3, as long as you have everything really ready to submit and no problems.

With our interview, they collected passport photos, DS260 receipt, birth cert (you must have the original and copy), marriage cert (again original and copy), notarized and translated police cert from Korea and country of citizenship, I-864 and past 3 years of tax transcripts for me and for our joint sponsor (my mom). I also submitted a letter from my mom saying she will support and house us on arrival in the states (neither of us have jobs set up yet). I brought a bunch of other supporting docs but I don't think they took anything else. We had to send in my mom's W2s later because she files jointly with her husband so we had to prove which income was hers.

Offline mfriend12

• Waygookin
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

so.....if i am the American and my wife is the one who would be 'immigrating'...that means we only fill one out for her right?

You are right, only the intending immigrant (your wife) needs to fill out the ds-260.

Offline detrong

• Waygookin
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
Hello everyone..I got a quick question for anyone who just recently completed the spouse visa application and approval..Were you required to submit any other documents after filling and submitting the DS-260 online visa application or did you just print the confirmation letter and submitted everything at once at the interview?..Any quick response will be highly appreciated..Thanks.

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2014, 11:07:46 PM »
Submit all the required documents for the DS-260 at the interview.  I think submitting your documents online is only for people filing within the USA.

Offline detrong

• Waygookin
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »
Cool thanks..I've been thinking the same too..Why would they have it on there while we are required to submit the documents at the interview.

Offline iamrhart

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Two questions:

1) on the DS260, where it asks for the Spouse (US Citizen) information, did anyone list their Korea Address? i tried, but then the Phone Number part got all screwy. what did you do?

2) next, it asks about Vaccinations, in accordance with US Law. did you answer "No"? what if we are waiting for the Medical Exam? if we put "no" is it going to be a big problem?

advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline detunedkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »
1. I put my Korean address, just so it would be the same as my wife's. No issues with it. On the I-864 I list my US address as my permanent residence.

2. I would wait to submit the 260 until you have the results of the medical check so that you can answer yes.  Your partner is going to have to get any missing vaccines anyway so the answer will be yes