March 19, 2019, 11:45:13 PM

Author Topic: What counts as "teaching hours?"  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
What counts as "teaching hours?"
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

This may seem like a simple question, but I have an unconventional placement.

Every morning I have "morning English." I stand outside the school from 8:00 - 8:45 and every student has to ask me a question, ("How are you?" "Where are you from?") before they can go to class. Does this count as teaching time?

Today I was informed that we would be starting an English study hall program for 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday and Thursday. I will be the only teacher there (it's not like teachers are rotating) and my coteacher said I should teach a 20 minute "starter lesson" each class period. Does this count as teaching time?

If so, I'm definitely over my contracted hours.

Offline wadeclark

• Newgookin
Re: What counts as "teaching hours?"
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
As far as I know, anything involving a student within the 8 hours at the school is teaching hours. If you feel like you are being taken advantage of, call your Department of Education  representative if you are at a public school.

Offline mr sam teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »

This may seem like a simple question, but I have an unconventional placement.

Every morning I have "morning English." I stand outside the school from 8:00 - 8:45 and every student has to ask me a question, ("How are you?" "Where are you from?") before they can go to class. Does this count as teaching time?

Today I was informed that we would be starting an English study hall program for 1 1/2 hours on Tuesday and Thursday. I will be the only teacher there (it's not like teachers are rotating) and my coteacher said I should teach a 20 minute "starter lesson" each class period. Does this count as teaching time?

If so, I'm definitely over my contracted hours.

The "Morning English" thing is borderline, but the study hall is definitely teaching time.

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
do you work in a high school?

Offline Sara

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
No, I work in an elementary school.

I also have 15 minute "classes" with the Kindergarten kids 3 times a week. I'm not sure how to classify those, either. Maybe I should total them up to be one class per week?

Offline jonpurdy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
I consider both to be teaching time. If you have to be somewhere with students (aside from like a field trip where classes are cancelled) it's teaching time.

Your school and education office might argue differently but I wouldn't budge on that. The question thing sounds pretty boring, too.

Offline vicki07

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
Hi, technically in an Elementary School a teaching hour is 40mins of teaching time, but obviously how this is allocated varies from school to school. I would presume that they would be wanting the 3 15min classes to total to 1 'teaching hour'. The 20min starter lessons, is that when the students are having a 40min english class? And if so, what are you doing for the rest of the time? Maybe they are wanting you to split your hours between classes so more students get exposed to you and therefore have 'native english speaker' time...? I'm not sure. Either way, if you work more than 22 hours within a given week, you should be getting paid overtime. Hope that helps...

Offline Gunpo_Erin

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »

I also have 15 minute "classes" with the Kindergarten kids 3 times a week. I'm not sure how to classify those, either. Maybe I should total them up to be one class per week?

OK cool.  At my elementary school my "work hours" are from 8:40 to 4:40 every day.  So I have to be in the building for 8 hours a day- I think this is standard for GEPIK SMOE and EPIK- although some schools start at 8 and end at 4 etc.  Each 40 minute class is considered a one hour class- and is counted towards your "teaching hours".  I think(I may be mis informed!) but we all have to teach 22 hours a week.  Anything over that is considered over time.

So if your morning "question period" puts you over your teaching hours then I guess it woud be considered "over time"

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

I teach 20 minutes twice a week with kindergarten and that gets counted as 1 teaching hour for which I get paid overtime as it is over my 22 hours.

I would argue that the 45 minutes at the start of school is borderline, but if the school requires you to be there you could argue it is teaching.

As for the other class, if you have to be physically present for the whole 1.5 hours to help the student I would think that the whole time would be classed as teaching time. If you only have to be there for 20 minutes to start the lesson then you should ask for 1 hour of overtime per week (2x20 minutes).

For elementary 1 40-minute class equal 1 teaching hour. Anything over 22 of these is overtime.