March 26, 2019, 03:44:31 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: KOREA CUSTOMS INFO  (Read 113965 times)

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
Re: Paying Korean customs/duty fees on package from home...
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
The customs form should've been marked "used" and "personal items." If you can provide proof of prior ownership such as a receipt or maybe indicate scratches or wear on the item then Customs may be convinced not to tax you, but good luck.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
How can they know what something is worth?

If the guitar is worth $1000, but I say it is worth $500, will they just take my word for it?

First time dealing with this so I'm unsure if I should lie or not.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
Anyone know if the people at customs will open the box and inspect it, or just xray it?

If I say the guitar is worth less than it actually is, can they find out?

What you people think?

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
So my package is insured for $1000. Anyone know if this info gets passed to Korean customs from Canada Post? Be much better if it didn't haha.

Offline porcelinewhite

• Explorer
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »
I had to pay $45 dollars last time...
I bought a swimsuit that costed 30 dollars...
The customs fee was more than the cost of the swimsuit~~sucks

Offline christmas

• Adventurer
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »
  u won't pay any customs or duty fees if the package is saying used stuff and the value is under 100 dollars..

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
I had to pay $45 dollars last time...
I bought a swimsuit that costed 30 dollars...
The customs fee was more than the cost of the swimsuit~~sucks

Ouch that is rough. How did that happen? Anything under 150,000 Won should not be charged... So the custom's website says...

Offline kwhawk

• Waygookin
Shipping question
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
I just ordered some clothes from the UK and it's valued at over W160,000, so I had to pay taxes on it.  Bummer.  My question is, does this happen with every package?  It seems like they only catch them some times or when the sender declares the content a certain way.

I'm asking because I was planning on having a wedding dress sent to me to have a fitting and then sending it back home.  I reeeeeeeally don't want to pay a 25% tax on the package, which will be worth significantly more than W160,000 .  I might just have to skip the fitting to avoid the tax.

Any advice?

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
Re: Shipping question
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
I just ordered some clothes from the UK and it's valued at over W160,000, so I had to pay taxes on it.  Bummer.  My question is, does this happen with every package?  It seems like they only catch them some times or when the sender declares the content a certain way.

I'm asking because I was planning on having a wedding dress sent to me to have a fitting and then sending it back home.  I reeeeeeeally don't want to pay a 25% tax on the package, which will be worth significantly more than W160,000 .  I might just have to skip the fitting to avoid the tax.

Any advice?

Read that if you import something, and then 'export' it within a year, you can get the money you paid back, but the process is time consuming. That's all I know about it.

Offline Wretchard

• Super Waygook
Re: Customs/duty fees
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
If my brother insured a package for $1000 using Canada Post, will Korean Customs have access to that information? Anyone have any experience with um, undervaluing a package?

Offline fontaine_cheng

• Explorer
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
Should have done my homework...bought clothing worth 165 online but never imagined the import duty would cost so much...Also these items will return home within a year for sure so does anyone know how to go about claiming the tax paid back at all???

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:45 PM »
Should have done my homework...bought clothing worth 165 online but never imagined the import duty would cost so much...Also these items will return home within a year for sure so does anyone know how to go about claiming the tax paid back at all???

Trying posting your question on their web site. They usually take three business days to answer.

http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=user.board.BoardApp&c=2001&board_id=GPB_EN_QNA&mc=ENGLISH_INFORMATION_QNA
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline MasanMan

• Veteran
Re: Shipping stuff to Korea. Any issues?
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
I have had more than 10 boxes shipped from home and never had a problem. You might have a problem if you don't spell things right in English. So many cities are spelled similarly in Korea. Gangnam, Gyeongnam, Gangwon, etc.

Offline bella4041

• Adventurer
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »

Yes, I've had several packages and mail just never arrive.  My mom used the same address on those shipments as she did for shipments that did arrive.  I'm afraid to send anything very important.  Maybe it's just me. 

[/quote]

Did you ever find out what happened to them? No return to sender or anything? I have 2 right now that have been en route for going on 3 months. Both are filled with tea and music. Two things that I desperately need for the cold months.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »

Yes, I've had several packages and mail just never arrive.  My mom used the same address on those shipments as she did for shipments that did arrive.  I'm afraid to send anything very important.  Maybe it's just me. 

Did you ever find out what happened to them? No return to sender or anything? I have 2 right now that have been en route for going on 3 months. Both are filled with tea and music. Two things that I desperately need for the cold months.
[/quote]

You might want to contact the carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) to see what's up. That's what I did (Canada Post) and then the package arrived the next day.
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

Offline jorgill

• Waygookin
Re: KOREA CUSTOMS INFO
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
I've found it helpful to put in a photocopy of my Alien card when having things mailed from abroad. 
First time a parcel got stuck at customs they requested it and it took ages.  Second time they just called me and asked what was in it and I didn't have to send anything to them.

Offline sivadakire

• Waygookin
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
Has anyone had troubles bringing asthma inhalers into Korea? I take them very rarely and I've been living in places where you do not need a prescription for Ventolin, so I don't have one. I was going to bring a couple with me in case I needed them (I hear the yellow dust can be pretty bad) but if it's going to cause me trouble then I might just wait until I get there and then see a doctor to get a prescription. I didn't disclose my infrequent asthma on my teaching application, either, so I'm hoping it won't cause me trouble. Does anyone have experience with this? Or mailing asthma inhalers? Thanks a lot.

Offline Jeff619

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »
I've only been charged a duty once.  However, I was just looking at some clothes on the Nordstrom website and they calculated my duty at 50%.  Didn't the FTA take effect in January? 

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
I've only been charged a duty once.  However, I was just looking at some clothes on the Nordstrom website and they calculated my duty at 50%.  Didn't the FTA take effect in January?

FTA doesn't mean consumers avoid duties. For example, if you're a Canadian, there's still a limit on the value of goods you can bring to Canada after shopping in the US.

Offline kstavrides

• Waygookin
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
Quick question for anyone who has items shipped from home.  I've heard that the USPS has a bad habit of losing packages headed for overseas destinations. 

What carriers seem to work the best?  Has anyone had a negative experience with the USPS?