September 21, 2017, 10:26:58 AM

Author Topic: Multiculturalism and Racism in Korea: 'I am Korean, too'  (Read 18524 times)

Offline newb

• Newgookin
9-year-old Zambian mother talks about school bullying

This is the third part in a year-long series, “Multiculturalism: The Great Experiment.” ㅡ ED.

Kim Ye-ryu attends Kumchon Elementary School in Paju, northwest of Seoul. The fourth grader, born to a Zambian mother and a Korean father, was called “monkey” on his first day in school and his hair was ridiculed as “a scouring pad.”

Although he speaks Korean fluently and prefers K-pop star Lee Seung-gi to Justin Timberlake, Kim is often asked, “Where are you from?” or “Are you familiar with kimchi?”.........

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/05/116_135770.html

It seem Korea has a long way to go..... :rolleyes:
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

Offline Hoosier_Jedi

• Expert Waygook
  • I'm a knight of my own republic.
Re: Multiculturalism and Racism in Korea: 'I am Korean, too'
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
Korea is trying to earn the world's respect but shoots down anti-discrimination laws. Yeah, that's smart.  >:(

Offline LNK

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Is Korea ready to embrace multiculturalism>> not a chance!!!!

Offline chuck2657

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
One of the better articles I've read from the Korean Times.

Obviously, the problem in ingrained pretty far into Korean culture.  We'll see if they can admit there's a problem and work on solving it, or just attempt to sweep it under the rug in an attempt to save face.  I'm hoping the former.  I'm expecting the latter.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
This is sad to read. I just hope Korea can move beyond this pretty soon, but it lies in the hands of parents to bring up their children to respect all cultures.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline specter13

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
Sometimes I get the feeling that Korea is where America was in the 1950's culturally. Of course there is not lynching and stuff like that but still there is a huge divide here on people who are "pure" Korean and people from mixed families.   

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
Multiculturalism and Korea in the same sentence? Not in my lifetime.

To the average Korean, there are only 3  4 countries in the world : Hanguk, Miguk, and Waegook.  + Jeju.

Multiculturalism, according to a reliable source* (*citation needed), Wikipedia
Multiculturalism (or ethnic diversity) relates to communities containing multiple cultures. The term is used in two broad ways, either descriptively or normatively.[1] As a descriptive term, it usually refers to the simple fact of cultural diversity: it is generally applied to the demographic make-up of a specific place, sometime at the organizational level, e.g. schools, businesses, neighbourhoods, cities, or nations.

In my opinion, we are talking about an openly racist culture here, with a lot of ignorance and close mindedness. There's little or no hope for anything positive to happen in regards to... acceptance, at least of non Korean ...aliens animals people.

Out. Never been happier

Offline JGgyopo

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »
Siiiiiiggh, somebody was too sensitive about my choice of words ;) Here's a cleansed version of my post.

Koreans don't like talking about things that paint Korea in a negative light. It's a face thing. IMO if they really want to effect change especially when using the media, Korea Times should be translating these kinds of articles into Korean alongside the nationalistic hallyu crap they spew that strokes their own egos. Not everything in this country is rainbows and lollipops.

Let's be real...

Offline Beyond lies the Wub

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
Yeah. This never happens in any other country, so I can see why it's news.
Here in my town, which is quite rural, there are a lot of mail-order brides from Vietnam, Thailand etc. This has led to a large number of mixed-race kids in the schools here. But there doesn't seem to be a discrimination problem. In fact, in my school the students are actually quite proud of the fact that some of their classmates have ancestry from somewhere else.

Ochodnid

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
I can't see multiculturalism being accepted nationwide. I could only see if working regionally.

Yeah. This never happens in any other country, so I can see why it's news.
Here in my town, which is quite rural, there are a lot of mail-order brides from Vietnam, Thailand etc. This has led to a large number of mixed-race kids in the schools here. But there doesn't seem to be a discrimination problem. In fact, in my school the students are actually quite proud of the fact that some of their classmates have ancestry from somewhere else.

Generally, it is easier to blend in or get along as a mix between similar looking Asian countries.

Offline Beyond lies the Wub

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
One Korean kid that bullied your kid does not make a society. In fact, your story reinforces what I have seen.

In fact, replace the Korean kid with any kid, and your kid with any kid who is different in any way and this story could have happened anywhere (and does).
I am glad it ended positively.

Meanwhile, my students are desperate to go under the knife to change their eye shape, and to dye their hair any colour but black...

Offline mxm407

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »

I guess I'm just pointing out that there might be some areas where it's less of an issue, but I doubt it.  My honest guess is that you just aren't SEEING it.

It's sad your son had bad experiences in school, but bullying happens all over the world all the time- you shouldn't project your experiences onto the rest of the country.  In my school the mixed race kids get along fine with the Korean students. Korea definitely has a problem with racism, but a lot of younger Koreans are much more open to multiculturalism.
"Of the many islands, Japan has got to be one of my favourites."

Offline Garth

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »
I blame the parents. They couldn't see this coming?
It was irresponsible to put the child in this situation in the first place.
Now they want to act surprised and shocked?
And whatsup with Africans always seeking approval from other races?
Where is the mother's African pride? There are brilliant schools in Africa.
Why not send the child there?

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »

There is so much wrong with this posting I hardly know where to begin, but I will give it my best shot.

Firstly they live where? Yes, you got it, KOREA, they have to send their child to school here because they live here, not in Africa.

Secondly, your point about Africans seeking approval is the biggest lot of horse manure I have ever read.

Thirdly, pray explain why it is irresponsible to send a child to school in the country where you live?

If you had any decency you would delete your posting.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »

I assumed that post was sarcastic or mocking.

Was I wrong?

There is so much wrong with this posting I hardly know where to begin, but I will give it my best shot.

Firstly they live where? Yes, you got it, KOREA, they have to send their child to school here because they live here, not in Africa.

Secondly, your point about Africans seeking approval is the biggest lot of horse manure I have ever read.

Thirdly, pray explain why it is irresponsible to send a child to school in the country where you live?

If you had any decency you would delete your posting.

I sincerely hope you are right, Kettle

Offline Epistemology

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Philosopher extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »

Because he is not african? The hint is in his name.

Racial pride is stupid. Stop treating the world like a bunch of hateful little tribes of hateful little people, because thats what your view boils down to.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

Offline oatmealkooky

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:33 PM »
The article describes multiculturalism as part of an experiment, as if it will just go away, as if the little boy is experimenting with having mixed ancestry.

It's not like they bought a new brand of breakfast cereal because everyone else says it's good. This s**t is happening whether the entrenched bigotry accepts it or not.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
I guess I'm just pointing out that there might be some areas where it's less of an issue, but I doubt it.  My honest guess is that you just aren't SEEING it.
It's sad your son had bad experiences in school, but bullying happens all over the world all the time- you shouldn't project your experiences onto the rest of the country.  In my school the mixed race kids get along fine with the Korean students. Korea definitely has a problem with racism, but a lot of younger Koreans are much more open to multiculturalism.

I don't think anybody is arguing that other countries are without problems. What is being pointed out is that bullying, racism, and an apparent tolerance of the two are problems here in Korea, and that they are ubiquitous.

I agree with Kettle's statement. I have read many posts here on waygook describing schoolyard racism, and have witnessed it firsthand here at my own school as well.
Heck, even the government acknowledges that it is a serious, widespread issue (although they don't seem to be doing much about it as of yet).

In fact, this xenophobia has been ingrained so strongly, that some of my 'pureblood' Korean students who have spend 2 or 3 years living abroad are being targeted for being 'strange' and 'unKorean'. I shudder to think of what some of my poor waygook muggles have to put up with when teachers aren't around to rein in the bullies.  :sad:

Offline grajoker

• Super Waygook
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
This is sad to read. I just hope Korea can move beyond this pretty soon, but it lies in the hands of parents to bring up their children to respect all cultures.
it will not change face it koreans are racist people...even when they live in foreign countries they display racist attitudes..learned this from experience.

Offline loswillyams

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »
it will not change face it koreans are racist people...even when they live in foreign countries they display racist attitudes..learned this from experience.

>implying moral superiority to Koreans because poster is not racist
>implying all Koreans are racist people
>costanza.jpg
>MFW this forum and community are a laugh riot.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment