October 19, 2018, 05:17:46 AM

Author Topic: Internet Black Out... Public Schools New Email system  (Read 1357 times)

Offline ShoGun

• Waygookin
Internet Black Out... Public Schools New Email system
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:48:15 AM »
I am not sure if the other public school teachers are aware of this, but starting April 1st the public schools (at least in gangnam) are moving to a web based email system for all official communication. In the process they will be blocking all "commercial" mail sites ( gmail, yahoo mail, hotmail). Yesterday I was searching for flash games to use in class, and came across this screen (see attachment). Later that day while talking to a fellow teacher, they mentioned that upon visiting facebook and youtube, they had received the same web error. My fear is the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education will put a blanket firewall at all public schools, and we may loose access to a lot of our resources for teaching (this website included). Thoughts? 

Offline newb

• Newgookin
Re: Internet Black Out... Public Schools New Email system
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
What would K-teachers do without their "ice cream" (sic) in the classroom? :cheesy:

I seriously doubt it's gonna happen.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

Offline mr

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:59:04 AM »
My coteach gave me a form on Monday to fill out with all all the websites that I use. We put down the sites we use,including waygook, so hopefully it won't get blocked at our school.

Offline nzer-in-gyeongnam

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "abnosome" ~ "abnormal in an awesome way."
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »
I'm sure there will be plenty of proxy sites you can access things through should you be blocked from anything you really need.

Many schools are moving away from cool-messenger and message pop-up messenger to use the Government "Teacher messenger" system as well... which means that the foreign teachers in schools are cut off once again from being able to send and receive messages with our co-workers again as we can not access the government based servers as we aren't Korean Teachers and we aren't registered with the Teaching board.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

Offline acousticr

• Expert Waygook
  • GEPIK, rural elementary.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:07:15 AM »
You can always use Firefox and install proxy add-ons. That should get around it, shouldn't it?

I use Stealthy when I want to catch up on BBC shows on iPlayer.

As for my school, I haven't heard anything about changing systems.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

Offline ShoGun

• Waygookin
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »
Here is a "white out list" my co-worker and I have put together. Its generally easier to correct it before there is a problem...

Offline ShoGun

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
You can always use Firefox and install proxy add-ons. That should get around it, shouldn't it?

I use Stealthy when I want to catch up on BBC shows on iPlayer.

As for my school, I haven't heard anything about changing systems.

I tried this for the blocked sites I found yesterday, and it didn't work... so proxy servers might not work