December 12, 2018, 10:14:34 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: What are some of the worst snacks you've been offered in Korea?  (Read 6904 times)

Offline newb

• Newgookin
Re: What are some of the worst snacks you've been offered in Korea?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »
Dog jerky. :cry:
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 08:41:27 AM »
I see a member of the cultural sensitivity police has entered the fray. No one is arguing that other cultures have tastes that differ from our own.

Cultural sensitivity police. That is priceless! There are too many of them though.

My worst snack is anything they didn't wanna eat or finish themselves, and then try to dump on me.
The CS police might call it Jeong- I call it...something else.

Out. Never been happier

Offline bammertheblue

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
I would totally try dog jerky.

Anyway, the worst for me are those 12 Grain Crisprolls. Kids give them to me sometimes. I tried one the very first time I was given one and oh my god, they are a disaster.

I'm not a fan of the sweet-tasting potato chips, but those 12-Grain things are a whole different beast.

Offline garr0n

• Waygookin
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Some of the popcorn choices at the movies are crazy. Not a fan of having a handfull of cheese dust on my popcorn

Offline bammertheblue

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
I just had the onion popcorn at the movies over the weekend. I thought it was okay, but I still prefer regular popcorn, no butter.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
I love, love, LOVE beondegi. The cheese sausage things on the other hand . . . I'd die happy if I never ate another of those.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline tausha12

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »
Rice cakes. I find them too bland. Oh, and the texture just doesn't sit well with me.

Offline Andyroo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
Marshmallows.

I knew a few Korean's who didn't like Marshmallows and it always struck me as strange. Texture wise they are a bit similar to rick cake so I couldn't work out the problem.

Then one day someone gave me a Korean marshmallow. They came in individual packets and they were flat and chewy. No fluff at all.

If that was my only experience of marshmallows I wouldn't be a fan either.

I should follow this up and check if the fluffy style are available in Korea.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
Those room-temp fish and cheese sausages sold on the counter of convenience stores (posted earlier in the thread).  Girlfriend loves them and always tries to get me to take a bite.  No thanks.   :lipsrsealed:
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline KevinTeacher84

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
I've grown to enjoy those mini anchovies that they serve as side dishes at bars and some restaurants.
Still can't wrap my taste buds around bondaegi.  :huh:
Good call on those tubes of cheese.
I don't know if this is a snack per se, but mul naegmyeon is something that I'll pass on 100 percent of the time. Funny thing is I actually like bibim naengmyeon.

Offline rocketeerjoe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Shikye (spelling?) is one of the most revolting things I have ever put in my mouth. I literally spit it out. I was told that it was especially good because it was homemade. This was not true. Something about the consistency of it utterly disagreed with my palette.

The raw fish I tried one time I also had to spit out. It tasted like carpet. Fishy carpet. Oh yum. I count it as a snack because it was small and horrendous.
"If you want to change your direction. If your time of life is at hand. Well, then don't be the rule, be the exception. A good place to start is to stand. Just put one foot in front of the other." - Rankin Bass Santa Claus

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
How about the ammonia fish? Anyone know what that is called or have eaten it? I'd probably try it again, even though it wasn't exactly what could be classified as delicious.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline zongal2012

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
A school lunch  "fruit salad" made with mayo,banana yogurt,apple,sweet potato cubes and Korean yellow melon.
It was the most revolting concoction I have ever tasted.Even the Korean teachers avoided it.

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I would totally try dog jerky.

Anyway, the worst for me are those 12 Grain Crisprolls. Kids give them to me sometimes. I tried one the very first time I was given one and oh my god, they are a disaster.

I'm not a fan of the sweet-tasting potato chips, but those 12-Grain things are a whole different beast.

The crisprolls are disgusting.

Dried squid is disgusting - why take something that, even fresh, tends to be rubbery unless cooked perfectly, and dry it out? You could rip a tooth out trying to eat the stuff. When that stuff shows up at noraebang and someone starts ripping it up, I usually try to sneak as much as I can out of the room and throw it in the toilet so I don't end up getting it force-fed to me later on.

Offline korr

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
Gwamegi. Half-dried half-fermented slimy fish. I love stuff like the dried squid and will eat more than my share of most of it, but I could barely choke one of these down and felt sick afterwards. Luckily my coteacher also hates them, so after we were sure the principal saw us eating one we hid in a corner and ate lettuce wraps.

Offline dgregg1987

• Adventurer
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
How about the ammonia fish? Anyone know what that is called or have eaten it? I'd probably try it again, even though it wasn't exactly what could be classified as delicious.

I am pretty sure that is called "fermented skate." The Koreans call is Hung Ah or something. Maybe it was just all the soju I had that night, but for as utterly offensive as it tastes, I actually kinda liked it. So far, the only food that I have had in Korea that has sent me running for the bathroom was the kimchi spaghetti at my school. Seriously, kimchi spaghetti or any Italian style food with kimchi just turns me green.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:03:49 PM by dgregg1987 »

Offline auster

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
The worst is rice cakes for me. I'm given these on a near daily basis and, unless I'm very hungry, they either go in the bin or are given to the manager of my apartment building. They're just bland and too stodgy.

Just had rice at lunch, why not have a rice cake? About to have rice for lunch in an hour, here's a rice cake. I could tolerate it if my co-tees didn't stand by me and insist I start eating them the moment they give them to me. I just say "Later" and dismiss the offer. I'm way past caring if this looks impolite.

Also, I'm with the poster who hates the way cakes are here - with cherry tomatoes in them; and the person who commented on sandwiches here. With the greatest respect, if you're ever offered a sandwich while in Korea, run a mile.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 02:35:34 PM »
sugary garlic bread.   :lipsrsealed:

The fermented skate is 홍어회

I love crisprolls.  What's not to like?   :smiley:
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are fruit. Wisdom is not putting tomatoes on cake or in fruit salad.

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »

I am pretty sure that is called "fermented skate." The Koreans call is Hung Ah or something. Maybe it was just all the soju I had that night, but for as utterly offensive as it tastes, I actually kinda liked it. So far, the only food that I have had in Korea that has sent me running for the bathroom was the kimchi spaghetti at my school. Seriously, kimchi spaghetti or any Italian style food with kimchi just turns me green.

Yeah, when I ate that fish, I was shocked by the flavor. That being said, I don't think I am really repulsed by any kind of food -- things just taste more or less interesting. I actually liked the kimchi spaghetti when my school served it last semester. It put a bit more spice into the sauce for one thing, which is never bad.