March 19, 2019, 10:47:34 PM

Author Topic: Protocol in looking for part-time job...  (Read 1746 times)

Offline jzrossef

• Newgookin
Protocol in looking for part-time job...
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
I don't know what is the protocol for my searches with part-time jobs. What I used to do is to browse part-time jobs over sites like craiglist or kijiji, but I can't seem to find one like for Yangpyeong locals. I'm not exactly sure if it's appropriate to post paper advertisements in the apartments or public poles... doesn't sound all that professional, in a sense. If anyone can share their opinions or insights, I'd really appreciate it.

BTW: I'm pretty sure I can legally work part-times. My visa and my current contract works with me. My guess is that I'd have to report income to Yangpyeong County Office or something...?

Offline bmsteacher

• Veteran
Re: Protocol in looking for part-time job...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
My wife and I posted an ad for teaching privates in our apartment building this winter.  We went to the building's administration office (this is usually on the top floor or roof) and paid 50 000 Won for a one month run.  They posted the ad in all the building's elevators and billboards.  We tried posting our ad by the local subway station and local bus stops, however, they quickly got pulled down (probably by city officials and cleaners whose job it is to take down unlicensed ads.)  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:27:34 PM by bmsteacher »

Offline jzrossef

• Newgookin
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
My wife and I posted an ad for teaching privates in our apartment building this winter.  We went to the building's administration office (this is usually on the top floor or roof) and paid 50 000 Won for a one month run.  They posted the ad in all the building's elevators and billboards.  We tried posting our ad by the local subway station and local bus stops, however, they quickly got pulled down (probably by city officials and cleaners whose job it is to take down unlicensed ads.)  Good luck!

I'm trying to avoid posting ads in public places like that... learned in a hard way that Koreans are very image-conscious people. I've got some emails with some interests... so I'm gonna see if I can work with that. If I can prove that I'm competent with my job, gossips will do the rest. It's just really puzzling to start since I have absolutely no network here. :(

Did you score any luck with the apartment ad though? 50,000W seems pretty expensive... I guess it depends on what kind of apartment complex you're dealing with I guess... :'(

Offline bmsteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:45 PM »
Yes, it took about a week or two but we got many calls.  Some of those who phoned actually live in Seoul; they must have noticed our ad when visiting our building (it's a big office-tel with businesses all over).  I know 50 000 isn't cheap; however, one hour of tutoring paid for the ad.  You are right about word of mouth; it really works once you get a few students.  Good luck with the job search!:) 

Offline GEK

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
The new apartment buildings in my area charge 100,000 won for one week!  Yes, one week. 

I seldom advertise, but one set of buildings is next to a foreign language high school.  So, I bit the bullet and ponied up the cash just to see what would happen.  Sure enough, five days later I had 2 new classes.  One with two students and one with four students. 

I guess it's true that you have to spend money to make money.

Also, the Korean post office will mass deliver to a neighborhood for a fee.  Have some flyers made (professional), stuff them in envelopes with your business(?) info in the return address area and take them to the P.O.  I do this once a year in a factory complex to get company jobs.  It never fails. 

Offline raintenshi

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
As far as I understand it, as long as you ask your "employer" (Principal/VP for public K-12 folks) permission you can. You just need to notify the Immigration Office so they can add it to your Visa. Not sure about self-employment jobs though...