August 22, 2018, 01:02:47 PM

Author Topic: What's the story behind your username ? (just curious)  (Read 2488 times)

Offline cheezsteakwit

• Veteran
What's the story behind your username ? (just curious)
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »
I'll start. 'Cheezsteakwit' is kind of a double entendre.

Philadelphia is my hometown & cheesesteaks are a local delicacy.

There are a few well known cheesesteak places where people flock to after sports games (Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, Sixers)  or after the bars close, so there is usually a looong line.  There is also a sign on the wall so 'out-of-towners / newbies ' will know how to order when they get to the counter, so they don't annoy the people behind them in line.

You're supposed to say "Cheesesteak, (what kind of cheese) & wit' or wit'out fried onions."  The cheese options are American, Provolone, or Cheese Wiz.

I usually get a "Cheesesteak, Provolone, Wit'  OR I'll get a roast pork & provolone w/ broccoli rabbe .. mmm, I'm gettin hungry ... Anyway, I digress. 

The OTHER meaning of my my username has to do with the pace of life in the Northeast Corridor of America (Philly, New York, Boston).  We generally have a faster pace of life than, say ... the Midwest or South.  It's definitely more 'palli, palli' than 'chon, chonhi'.

I've traveled to the South (Atlanta) & to the West (Cali) & on 2 occasions I've had friends of friends laugh at my one-liners & say "Man, I miss that East coast sense of humor", or "Man, I miss that Northern sense of humor."  Even in Korea, occasionally I'll have my foreign friends rolling in laughter from my one-liners.     

Some may say NorthEasterners are rude, & a lot of them ARE, but I think their sense of humor is more of a sarcastic one.  I like to think of the NE corridor as 'the Anti-Bible Belt' ... meaning we don't suffer fools gladly  & we'll tell you to your face.

Anyways, that's my story.  What's yours?

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: What's the story behind your username ? (just curious)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Well, mine is of course partly because I am South African and secondly after my asking one of my most patient co-teachers why certain things are done so illogically in Korea, she said to me, 'You are confused about a lot of things in Korea'.

So there you have it, confusedsafferinkorea.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Frozencat99

• The Legend
  • #MoonPrincess
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »
When I was 13 and my parents first entered the broadband world, I began joining forums. My e-mail address and username previous to that point was Coolcat99 ("Cool cat" idiom + Gretzky). I grew tired of the username being taken, so I thought to myself "What is cooler than cool?" Cold cat sounded too much like cold cut, so I came up with this.

It's sometimes already taken, so I think other people have gone through the same process.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:57:58 PM »
I lived in Meghalaya for a while. Everywhere I went I heard 'Jrong'. It means 'giant' in Khasi. I am about 6'3 and the avg male there is about 5'4 so I was cool with being called giant. I have fond memories of that place so I kept the nickname. Before that my nickname was 'lambu' which means the same thing in Hindi.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline mycena

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
The first anime I ever saw was Record of Lodoss War. This was right about the time the internet was getting popular (perhaps 1995?) and I started to need a username for various web apps. So, I ended up taking the name of one of the dragons (Mycen) and added the 'a' to make it more girly. That was almost two decades ago, and I haven't yet felt the need to change it.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:48:53 AM »
I'm nothing special, so I just made my name the way it is.  I just wish i had thought about it for a second to make with 'justanotherwaygookin" and not "justanotherwaygook."
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »
It's my name, nothing special.  I have no story to share.   :cry:
Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Offline cowboy7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
I like cowboys.  The 7 part, well I don't remember.  I think it's just there because 'cowboy' is usually already taken. 

Offline Irishcailin

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
I'm Irish and a girl!

Cailin (Pronounced like the name Coleen) means girl in Irish/Gaelic.

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
Um...I'm from Chicago...and I like hot dogs and can be something of a 'hot dog' if the mood strikes me right.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline auster

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
My username is the surname of my favourite author, Paul Auster. I like that I am reminded of him and his work whenever I log on.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
A play on my full name and my favourite number.

BLAM! Creativity.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
A university nick name. I'm 6'5".

You rang?

Offline BBetz1985

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »
First Initial Last Name Birthyear...yeah and I use that as my AOL account name as well. I am that guy still using AOL.

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
First Initial Last Name Birthyear...yeah and I use that as my AOL account name as well. I am that guy still using AOL.

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!

OMG...someone else still uses AOL!  Haha, I was convinced that I was the only one...
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline AfroBurrito

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »
My username is the surname of my favourite author, Paul Auster. I like that I am reminded of him and his work whenever I log on.

Auster is fantastic.  Have you read any of his wife's work?  Siri Hustvedt?  She's an extraordinary essayist. 

As for my handle...It's a tribute to my mixed race heritage given to me by an English friend.    My father was a beautiful, proud black man, and my mother is a beautiful, loving Latina (Mexican American...de Mexico...Viva La Republica!), therefore I am AfroBurrito.  Sometimes I go with Blaxicana too, this was my late father's name for me. 

Offline Mlatte

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 09:13:01 AM »
The first letter of my username is the first letter of my name.  The "latte" is used because my real last name is Finnish.  People have a hard time pronouncing it and spelling it.  Therefore, I decided to use the name "latte", since it is very close to the sound of my last name.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
A university nick name. I'm 6'5".

You rang?
Where were you when I was getting called Giant for so many years? If only you were by my side they would've been like: "he's not a giant, THAT guy is a giant!" Hey Giant, giant! Giant, giant! Hey, you giant, giant! Giant, giant man!
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline hwana

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Where were you when I was getting called Giant for so many years? If only you were by my side they would've been like: "he's not a giant, THAT guy is a giant!" Hey Giant, giant! Giant, giant! Hey, you giant, giant! Giant, giant man!

Haha I like this. I'm not the dude you replied to but I'm also 6'5 and your post reminded me of a fellow British guy I knew in Japan when we were doing an exchange year there. He wasn't short, but around average (Western) height and was really looking forward to being comparatively taller than most people for a year. He was so disappointed that nobody ever said he was tall when I was around, which was most of the time as we did a lot together that year.  He'd arrived in Japan a little before me and had met the teachers already so they knew a bit about him - it was funny when we were being introduced to some Japanese students because it was like "This is Sam. He likes football and tennis. This is Jon. He is tall"  ;D ;D ;D

I chose this username because I like this guy's raps

My avatar is the Samsung Lions logo  8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:54:28 PM by hwana »