December 22, 2014, 02:28:32 AM

Author Topic: Australian Background Check  (Read 1044 times)

Offline SMOE NSET

• Adventurer
Australian Background Check
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
The embassy said to go here for a criminal background check:

afp.gov.au

Has anyone ever requested one while in Korea? My wife needs one to immigrate to the USA because she went to university in Australia.

Seems the steps are:
1- Go to local Korean police station and get fingerprints.
2- Fill out the form and mail it to the AFP. Also, send in a copy of your identification.
3- Will be sent in 30 days.

Is that it?

I am also interested in the online process. Has anyone done this before?
1- Where did you do your computer scanned finger prints (Livescan)?

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
Re: Australian Background Check
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
I've never needed fingerprints for an Australian background check (although i know it's an option)

Is this a US requirement?

Just thought i'd ask this in case you are going through a lot of hassle for nothing. Sorry I can't help with your specific questions
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline blake

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »
The embassy said to go here for a criminal background check:

afp.gov.au

Has anyone ever requested one while in Korea? My wife needs one to immigrate to the USA because she went to university in Australia.

Seems the steps are:
1- Go to local Korean police station and get fingerprints.
2- Fill out the form and mail it to the AFP. Also, send in a copy of your identification.
3- Will be sent in 30 days.

Is that it?

I've been through it.

The fingerprint paper you get from the Korean police office only comes in Korean. You'll need to have somebody translate and sign a photocopy in addition to adding a simple, signed statement saying that it is a correct and accurate translation. It can translated by anyone as long as it's not the person applying for the CBC.

The processing time is 30 days but keep in mind that they only send regular international airmail from the AFP. It can take an additional week to a month after those 30 processing days.

I had mine done in 2011. The first time it was rejected because they didn't notice the translated copy of the fingerprints. I didn't find out until the rejection arrived two months later. The second time, I had coloured tabs on the pages and post-it notes explaining the additional pages (translated copy, signed confirmation of true translation, etc). I was also on the phone to the head of the National Criminal Records department and annoyed her until they pushed it up in the queue. In the end they processed it in two weeks but it took an extra three weeks to arrive in Korea.

If it's taking too long and your wife's interview date is set at the US embassy in Seoul, they will still take her for an interview without all the paperwork. As long as she passes the interview, you can mail in the CBC later, with her passport, and they'll send back the passport including the attached visa. Luckily, the immigration services staff at the US embassy are extremely friendly and accommodating.

Offline Craash

• Veteran
  • one day....
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:26 AM »
I just got mine done last month (from the Australian Federal Police).

I printed out the FBI fingerprint sheet (in English) from here -  http://usscouts.org/bbugle/bb0902/BB0902_files/image033.png
and went to the local police station and they did my fingerprints on it for free.

It was even much easier than getting fingerprints done in an Australian policestation - the Korean police did it for me professionally, quickly and for free.

(The Australian police don't care that the fingerprints are on a FBI fingerprint form, and they didn't care that the Korean police didn't sign or stamp the form either).

I then attached it to the "application form" found here -  https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/

I then photocopied my ID (passport etc) put all three forms into an envelope and sent it to the Locked Bag address of the Federal police in Canberra.

Australian Federal Police
Criminal Records
Locked Bag 8550
CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

I noticed 7 days later that they had taken the fee out of my credit card and I received the criminal history certificate back in the mail - all completed 10 days later.

No problems.

In the past few years I have just done the "name only" check via the website which is quicker and cheaper - and Korean Immigration accepted - but not sure if the USA would accept a "name only" one for Immigration into the USA - because the "name only" one has "this is based on name only and may not be the real person" stamped all over it.

Go with the "name and fingerprint" one - it looks much nicer and doesn't take much longer to get.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:59:57 AM by Craash »

Offline SMOE NSET

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »
Thank you all!

Yes, she already did the interview at the US embassy and we were approved. We will receive the visa once she turns in the Australian background check.

Yes, the US requires fingerprints for immigration.

I will print out a FBI form and use that instead of the Korean one.

Thank you all again!

Recent Lesson Plans

Divergent by notkatiebolvin
[Yesterday at 11:28:15 PM]

Story Time by grhacia_06
[Yesterday at 09:26:01 PM]

Absent/apathetic co-teacher for camp by ThatFrenchGuy
[Yesterday at 08:44:30 PM]

What Was Your Worst Class of the Year Like? by stemarty
[Yesterday at 07:05:15 PM]

Making 3D snowflakes by Thomas Mc
[December 20, 2014, 02:23:00 PM]