March 21, 2019, 05:31:44 PM

Author Topic: WORLD TRADE  (Read 9233 times)

Offline septeacher

• Veteran
Re: WORLD TRADE
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »
Oops!

OK thanks.

Offline hwana

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
This idea is awesome. I bookmarked the thread a little while ago, but will try it for the first time tomorrow with my advanced after school class. I have high hopes!

I put together this PPT to introduce the idea of trading and useful vocabulary. I'm not gonna force the kids to stick to using the sentence structures in the PPT, but for the less confident kids it might help to have something to work from.

Edit:

Just wanted to update this to say how it went. I just finished this class and it was great!! The kids got really into trading and thankfully they stuck to English most of the time.  Having pre-taught the words "rise, go up" and "fall, go down" when going through the into PPT, a lot of kids were trying to convince each other that the price of the resource they wanted to buy would fall soon for all manner of crazy reasons.

If you've got a class of intermediate or above level students, I'd highly recommend this lesson. The students in the class I used this with are a mix of 2nd and 3rd grade middle school.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:00:09 PM by hwana »

Offline Wintermute

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • High School - Speech
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:52 PM »
well look at you, you go-getter. Glad it worked out.

funny you say its for intermediate and high level. My high school is so low, I had them in mind when making this. good to know it works for all levels. 

now if someone will just try it on elementary.

Offline Rafiqua

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
using this for my post midterms! It definitely deserves a bump up!

Offline wherever dreaming goes

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

now if someone will just try it on elementary.
[/quote]

Worked just as well on my elementary students as it did in my Middle school. :)

Offline ThomasKorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
Really good lesson for first grade Summer camp. They all enjoyed and the principal had to come in to tell everyone to shut up - thats how good the lesson was. Well done on the idea and execution.

Online reallyreally

• Newgookin
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
Thanks for the lesson! I randomly stumbled on to this game, but I'm glad I did.

I recently played it and it was a complete success in my middle school classes. They had alot of fun, and it really got them moving and talking.

My students are quite low-leveled, so they have a tendency to speak in Korean. For anyone who has a similar problem, I suggest implementing a rule, where you take one of their resources if they spoke in Korean. It worked like a charm.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
So I really want to try this...but my problem is...my work computer is TRASH.

I can't open the .rar file.

Anyone have the contents not in a .rar file?

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
you can get the 2nd ppt the rest is just cards with oil, wood etc on it. You could make your own.

Code: [Select]
HOW TO:
1. START:
I start by having the desks in a circle. Let us assume our class has 12 students. I divide the class into 6 pairs. Each pair will represent one country. There are 6 countries, each country has their own natural resource, and they are as follows. 
China……………….GOLD
Saudi Arabia…….OIL
Russia……………….WEAPONS
Japan………………..ELECTRONICS
America ………….LUMBER
Brazil......................COFFEE
2. Assigning Countries.:
There are a lot of ways you can do this. You can just let them pick or my method. I have each country labeled on a strip of paper. I hold the paper and they pull a strip out, and that is their random country.
3. Resources:
After dolling out countries tell the students about each of their resources, and then tell them how much each one is worth. I say that Oil is worth $500 per unit. Then I give Saudi Arabia their 4 Oil units and ask the class how much Saudi A. has total, and write it on the marker board. I continue to do this one at a time until all the resources have been given to their respective country and the countries total income written on the board.
(To make things more interesting, you can mix up who gets what resource instead of just; one country, one resource)
4. TRADE:
Explain how to trade. I tell them they have one year. I do not tell them that that is 5 minutes. And I explain their goal is to be the richest and that there is a prize for it. Each resource has a fixed amount of how much they are worth each year. While the students are trading I leave the price of each resource on the powerpoint so students can see. That slide is also a countdown timer. You will notice the months in the top right hand corner. Those will change and end after 5 minutes.
5. TALLY:
When the year is over have the students sit down and tally up how much their country owns. Write the new scores on the marker board and introduce the World Situation.
6. WORLD SITUATION:
These are game changers. These force prices to go either up or down. After explaining that, move on to the next slide which will display the updated prices for each resource one by one. And let the New Year begin! Continue until the year 2014. 
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
you can get the 2nd ppt the rest is just cards with oil, wood etc on it. You could make your own.

Code: [Select]
HOW TO:
1. START:
I start by having the desks in a circle. Let us assume our class has 12 students. I divide the class into 6 pairs. Each pair will represent one country. There are 6 countries, each country has their own natural resource, and they are as follows. 
China……………….GOLD
Saudi Arabia…….OIL
Russia……………….WEAPONS
Japan………………..ELECTRONICS
America ………….LUMBER
Brazil......................COFFEE
2. Assigning Countries.:
There are a lot of ways you can do this. You can just let them pick or my method. I have each country labeled on a strip of paper. I hold the paper and they pull a strip out, and that is their random country.
3. Resources:
After dolling out countries tell the students about each of their resources, and then tell them how much each one is worth. I say that Oil is worth $500 per unit. Then I give Saudi Arabia their 4 Oil units and ask the class how much Saudi A. has total, and write it on the marker board. I continue to do this one at a time until all the resources have been given to their respective country and the countries total income written on the board.
(To make things more interesting, you can mix up who gets what resource instead of just; one country, one resource)
4. TRADE:
Explain how to trade. I tell them they have one year. I do not tell them that that is 5 minutes. And I explain their goal is to be the richest and that there is a prize for it. Each resource has a fixed amount of how much they are worth each year. While the students are trading I leave the price of each resource on the powerpoint so students can see. That slide is also a countdown timer. You will notice the months in the top right hand corner. Those will change and end after 5 minutes.
5. TALLY:
When the year is over have the students sit down and tally up how much their country owns. Write the new scores on the marker board and introduce the World Situation.
6. WORLD SITUATION:
These are game changers. These force prices to go either up or down. After explaining that, move on to the next slide which will display the updated prices for each resource one by one. And let the New Year begin! Continue until the year 2014. 

Ahhh thank you! It was just the instructions I was after mostly aha! Thanks so much!