November 19, 2018, 07:30:35 PM

Author Topic: What should I do? Need advice.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline maettsook

• Explorer
What should I do? Need advice.
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:55 PM »
I had transferred from Gyeongju to Seoul last August and had a terrible experience.
I had gotten my own housing and asked to take the housing allowance instead.
My ex-coordinator made a mistake and now I'm commuting about 1.5hrs each way.
It was such a big chaos that I almost lost my job.
SMOE and EPIK were putting the blames on me and weren't willing to pay me the allowance. Fortunately it was all worked out but I'm afraid that I've left some bad impressions on SMOE and EPIK.
So here's my question. With the concerns on cutting native teachers, should I request to be transferred to another school near home(contract ends in 2yrs) or should I just endure..

Offline Lever

• Adventurer
Re: What should I do? Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
I really don't know what the best thing for you to do is, but talking to them isn't going to do you any harm.
If you think that SMOE/EPIK don't like you, come at it with that approach.
Tell them that you're sorry for all the trouble that you've caused in the past (even if you're not, or it wasn't your fault to begin with), and ask if there is any possible way for you to move to a closer school.  Put it as "it's not that I want to go, but I want to cause you less problems in the future".
I mean, they may tell you no, but it never hurts to ask.  And 2 years is a long time.  Unless you're fine with commuting 3 hours every day.  If so, tell them thanks for helping you resolve your money problem, and continue to commute.

(But just as an f.y.i. ...  I'm not an expert.  I'm new here, and a lot of what I know comes second hand.  From what I understand, since they have to house us all, when you opt out of the housing they provide, it has the potential to screw up the school's budget.  It's not your fault...if they don't want to give us a housing allowance, they shouldn't offer it.  But in your case, it may be that they're having problems balancing their budget.)

Offline CunningLinguist

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »
you have a 2-3year contract?

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
Ask the same thing to a reputable recruiter. I haven't heard of people transferring schools but in your situation I suppose it is possible. As for a bad reputation this depends partly on the people you worked with and whether you will get a letter of rec or good vibes from a phone recommendation.

In your situation I would likely end up going from SMOE to GEPIK or just another thing outside of the SMOE field range. (INcheon..Bucheon)... ;)

Stay positive and be professional will also help. Don't flip out when they tell you the same bullshit.

Offline maettsook

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »
you have a 2-3year contract?
I have 2 years left on my apartment contract.

Offline maettsook

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
I really don't know what the best thing for you to do is, but talking to them isn't going to do you any harm.
If you think that SMOE/EPIK don't like you, come at it with that approach.
Tell them that you're sorry for all the trouble that you've caused in the past (even if you're not, or it wasn't your fault to begin with), and ask if there is any possible way for you to move to a closer school.  Put it as "it's not that I want to go, but I want to cause you less problems in the future".
I mean, they may tell you no, but it never hurts to ask.  And 2 years is a long time.  Unless you're fine with commuting 3 hours every day.  If so, tell them thanks for helping you resolve your money problem, and continue to commute.

(But just as an f.y.i. ...  I'm not an expert.  I'm new here, and a lot of what I know comes second hand.  From what I understand, since they have to house us all, when you opt out of the housing they provide, it has the potential to screw up the school's budget.  It's not your fault...if they don't want to give us a housing allowance, they shouldn't offer it.  But in your case, it may be that they're having problems balancing their budget.)
Thanks Lever. I'll try to come up with a clever excuse and try to be as polite as possible.