March 21, 2019, 06:24:01 PM

Author Topic: Passport expires - new visa?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Mel123

• Adventurer
Passport expires - new visa?
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:51:49 PM »
Hi;
My passport with my Korean visa in expires in September, I already have my new passport. I have resigned with my school and my new contract will start at the end of April. Does anyone know if I need to get a whole new visa for my new passport or will the old one still be ok? I know if you resign they just extend your visa and  you don't need a new one, will the fact that my passport is expiring make a difference? In short, will I have to make a visa run to get a new visa for my new passport?

Offline glb0b

• Expert Waygook
Re: Passport expires - new visa?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »
You have to tell immigration your new passport number within 14 days. When I did mine I called them and then faxed them the info they asked for.

They just update your record to have your new passport number. You don't need any new stamps or visas in your new passport but they might give you one anyway as you are renewing.

Since changing my passport I have left the country and returned without any problems. I took my expired passport with me but didn't need it.

Offline Mel123

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
thanks - I'm relieved to hear that this will not be a hassle... :D

Offline letsgoteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
I had a similar issue, and just got a new re-entry permit in my new passport, but not a new work visa.  They marked my ARC to extend it for another year, and when I've left the country they check that too.  Unfortunately, my entry permit expires the day my contract finishes, but hopefully I can get a 2 week extension (I leave 5 days later).  I know other people have an extra month on their entry permit-so try to get that sorted when you get it in your new passport.   
hope that helps!