October 25, 2014, 02:25:58 PM

Author Topic: password protect my wifi  (Read 3411 times)

Offline 001bautista

• Adventurer
password protect my wifi
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »
Does anyone know how to set up a password for iptime routers (N104t)?  Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have a slight feeling that my neighboring units are sapping some of my bandwidth. 

Thanks! 

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: password protect my wifi
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
You have to set it by connecting the router to your computer and then accessing the software by inputting the password first then you have to enter a password and save it. If it is a Korean version and you can't read Korean you must get someone to help you.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

The earth is flat....... I think, ha ha ha !!

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Tom_Waygook

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
My wireless router came with instructions that listed a website where I could set a password. Also, use google chrome's translator if the website is in Korean.

Offline apuffer

• Veteran
  • It's all in the hips, it's all in the hips...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
First off, I would secure that thing ASAP!!!  Even if you have unlimited internet, people leeching will slow your speed a lot and you also risk the security of your computer (to a small degree).

Second, you should be able to set up the password without the software and without hooking up to the router with a cable.  Just try opening your internet browser then go to 192.168.0.1 which is the IP address of your router.  It should take you to a webpage where you can configure stuff.  For my IPTIME router, I click the button to the far right that looks like a gear (Set-Up or whatever) and translate the pages (I use Google Chrome, autotranslate for the win).  Just use whatever settings are by default, usually TKIP type encryption I think, and whatever channel they recommend.  Choose a name for the network if you want, put in your security key and BOOM secured.

If you ever forget your security key, you can do a hard reset on the router (hold down the reset button for about 30 seconds) and it will clear the settings back to default and you can re-secure it from the start.

Hope this helps, lemme know if you run into trouble!
Well, I stand up next to a mountain and I chop it down with the edge of my hand...

Offline hawkeyenick

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
First off, I would secure that thing ASAP!!!  Even if you have unlimited internet, people leeching will slow your speed a lot and you also risk the security of your computer (to a small degree).

Second, you should be able to set up the password without the software and without hooking up to the router with a cable.  Just try opening your internet browser then go to 192.168.0.1 which is the IP address of your router.  It should take you to a webpage where you can configure stuff.  For my IPTIME router, I click the button to the far right that looks like a gear (Set-Up or whatever) and translate the pages (I use Google Chrome, autotranslate for the win).  Just use whatever settings are by default, usually TKIP type encryption I think, and whatever channel they recommend.  Choose a name for the network if you want, put in your security key and BOOM secured.

If you ever forget your security key, you can do a hard reset on the router (hold down the reset button for about 30 seconds) and it will clear the settings back to default and you can re-secure it from the start.

Hope this helps, lemme know if you run into trouble!

IPTIME routers like to use 192.168.30.1 but it could also be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1
They also have default admin usernames as well

Offline 001bautista

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:38 PM »
Oh man, thanks everyone!  Now not only with my neighbors complain about my music being too loud but also about having to get their own internet!

Recent Lesson Plans

Powerpoint Template Mega-Pack by RufusW
[Today at 04:21:21 AM]

Halloween Bomb Game by gotngoidea
[Yesterday at 06:33:14 PM]

Vocabulary Game: Creepy or Cute by aklimkewicz
[Yesterday at 06:25:53 PM]

Halloween Pub Quiz by valium kilmer
[Yesterday at 05:45:07 PM]

punishment assignments?? by Pattinsons
[Yesterday at 05:44:41 PM]

Buy/Sell/Trade