November 13, 2018, 01:31:01 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Dog meat served at school lunches?  (Read 9115 times)

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
Dog meat served at school lunches?
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
So i was enjoying my lunch today, especially the meat
and i told my CT.  Then he agrees and says something to me that sounds like, "duc".
I know it's not duck meat cuz i've had that before.  I was too afraid to ask what he said,
and just kept eating.

I hope it wasn't dog meat.

Offline marchingocelot

• Veteran
Re: Dog meat served at school lunches?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
He probably said "닭" which is chicken. Although I imagine you'd be able to tell if it tasted more like dog than chicken.
Stupid Ugly Foreigner. Read it. Guaranteed to make you laugh, make you cry, and also cure your hysterical pregnancy.

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
it was definitely not chicken.
The meat was very lean, pinkish and cut thinly

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:55 PM »
the only thing it really could have been was pork....just a different cut of pork i guess.  maybe i don't want to know. 

Offline marchingocelot

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
The only other food thing I can think of that sounds like that would be ddeok; was there any rice cake in the dish that he thought you might have been referring to? Dog-meat seems like more of a specialty in most places, I haven't heard of schools getting enough to make for the whole school.
Stupid Ugly Foreigner. Read it. Guaranteed to make you laugh, make you cry, and also cure your hysterical pregnancy.

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »
yeah that's what i thought too.  There was no "duk" (rice cakes) either.
It was very lean, tender, and soft, not fatty and chewy like most pork is, but ya, im sure
i can't be dog...that would just seem too appalling to be served in schools, especially to kids too.

Offline karenology

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »
I think dog meat is probably too much of a specialty item and therefore too expensive to be served in school lunches.  Its name is "gaegogi" or if you have it in a stew, "bosintang."  It's quite popular in my village :(

Online Koreak

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
It was definitely not dog meat.  There are three words I get easily confused. 

닭 - chicken      떡 - the fat rice noodles   and the third, which I believe was your meal today  덕 - which is a type of pork.

I think dog meat is probably too much of a specialty item and therefore too expensive to be served in school lunches.  Its name is "gaegogi" or if you have it in a stew, "bosintang."  It's quite popular in my village :(

karenology is correct, dog meat is a specialty item, and a lot of Koreans are against the consumption of dog meat.  So they definitely would not provide it for a lunch. 

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »
it's technically illegal too, so i highly doubt that it was dog meat.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
maybe duck
smoked duck :D

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »
it was mostly likely duck. It is a common meat served at school and it is usually cut into thin strips depending on the style. Dog meat is usually served in a stew. Also as other have stated it is not usually consumed on mass like that either. Usually smaller shops will serve it and are usually out of the public eye or in the country.

Offline kawaiikitty

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
Trust me, you weren't eating duck.
 Dog in korean is -gae- or -gay-
he would have said 'gaegolgi'

Offline Kimchiface

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
Yeah, definitely sounds like the smoked duck that they often serve with sweet mustard sauce.  Most schools post the lunch menu on the wall, go check it out.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
Wow!!! wish we got duck for lunch!!!! I love it so much. My School's lunch is very good but we have only had duck once in the more than two years I have been here. I think it is a little too expensive to serve as a school lunch. Oh well, we can but dream.......... :)
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline wafflebunny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:07 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's duck!!! LOL! Same thing happened to me!

mteacher

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:29 AM »
Haha, someone in my city got dog at school a few months back... the teacher even "barked" to make sure he understood..   :o  BUT it is VERY rare to have dog meat served as school lunch (as everyone else has said) it's just too expensive and a delicacy.

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »
I don't know why you think it is expensive.  They have two kinds of dog meat in korea:
Pure breed - bred for the sole purpose of being eating
and what my korean friend refers to...roughly translated to Shit-dog.  The dogs no body wants. some restaurants buy to eat.  We had one very close to my school and my friend brought me down to try it.  it was only 10 a person to eat it; nastiest thing in the world.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline joseph921

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
**UPDATE**
so today after graduation ceremony all the staff went to a neighboring shik-tang to eat some food and we had some kimchi chigae stew with some meat in it i assumed was pork.  After finishing the meal, I said to my CT that it was very good!  He said yes, and leaned over to me again and said, "duc".

This time i had someone else tell me that it was dog meat, the meat from the dog's neck (which is a favorite i guess).  Then I asked about the meat we had at school lunch couple days ago and they told me yes, that was dog meat too but another cut of dog meat.

Oh Em Gee...i've been eating dog meat for the past 6 months and i didn't know it.

Offline AshleyTeacher

• Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
**UPDATE**
so today after graduation ceremony all the staff went to a neighboring shik-tang to eat some food and we had some kimchi chigae stew with some meat in it i assumed was pork.  After finishing the meal, I said to my CT that it was very good!  He said yes, and leaned over to me again and said, "duc".

This time i had someone else tell me that it was dog meat, the meat from the dog's neck (which is a favorite i guess).  Then I asked about the meat we had at school lunch couple days ago and they told me yes, that was dog meat too but another cut of dog meat.

Oh Em Gee...i've been eating dog meat for the past 6 months and i didn't know it.

I would have been sick after that. This is why I always make it clear what kind of meat I eat before I try it.

plasticglass3s

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
did they say "duc" in english because when i tell koreans that i like duck meat best, they usually exclaim "dog?!?!" it sounds the same to them. did you ask them if it was 개고기?