March 18, 2019, 10:00:07 PM

Author Topic: South American Vacay  (Read 4231 times)

Offline purpletequila

• Veteran
South American Vacay
« on: November 24, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
So I'm seriously thinking about going to South America for the Winter vac (two weeks) but most of the information out there paints a dismal picture of the continent.

Is there anyone who can suggest a good region to escape to for a while, with some good  historical sites. It would have to be affordable and relatively safe. I have no interest in backpacking or hiking/mountaineering.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
Re: South American Vacay
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
dismal? WTF?

I lived in SAmer for years.

In Winter you'll still get all kinds of weather across the continent, so what kind of weather do you want?

If you want cool weather, then Argentina in general is full of historical sites. Buenos Aires, from a cultural standpoint, is amazing. So is the city of Cordoba (inland). Head on over to Montevideo, Uruguay as well to get a less-crowded feel while enjoying historical sites. If you're doing the hostel thing you should be able to get by OK in Argentina/Uruguay. You mentioned that you don't like 'backpacking' -- if that means you don't like 'hostel-stays' then you're kind of screwed bc hotels are expensive in SouthAmer -- at least hotels that are in cultural/historical areas.

If you want warmer weather...then you need to go up north. Maybe even Northeast to the Guiana's, some historical sites there although not anywhere near as much 'culture' as you'd find in Argentina.

Weather shouldn't be that bad in northern Argentina, though, so between Cordoba, Mendoza, BA, Montevideo, and the Iguazu Falls (on the border with Arg/Braz), you should have enough to fill your time. That's what I would suggest for someone who's not into 'roughing it' which is what you seem to be suggesting. Let us know how the trip goes.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline purpleradish

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:59 PM »
Might be too late, but I lived in Chile for half a year and they have a great highway and bus system. Think of Chile as an extended California-- driest deserts in the world in the north, green national parks and beaches in the middle, and glaciers in the south.

Great hostel culture, too.

If you're still interested, PM me.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
I have been to Chile twice.  Once in the Southern hemisphere Winter, and once in the Summer.  I gather you will be going there in the Southern Hemisphere Summer.

You might enjoy a little surf town called Pichilemu.   However I am not sure what your interests are.   Quite a few people go there in Summer.

I agree with the other forum member who said that Chile has an excellent bus system.

Chile is known to get some bad earthquakes.  There were aftershocks almost every 2nd night when I was there in 2010. 

Offline purpletequila

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies :laugh: It's a toss up between Peru and Chile right now but I have 2 weeks before I set anything in stone.

Am suddenly dead excited about the whole thing. Warm weather, fine food and majestic archaeological sites await.

Offline Kliuchevskoi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:55:46 PM »
I lived in SAmer for years..

perhaps you could tell me then what is the best way to take and spend your money into Peru/ chile as a tourist? if you're going there for e.g. a few months.

Travellers cheques? credit card? Open a local bank account?
Creating shared values