December 10, 2018, 04:24:44 AM

Author Topic: Curious: How did the moderators become the moderators?  (Read 2626 times)

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
Curious: How did the moderators become the moderators?
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »
Definitely not the number of posts.
Years in Korea? Doubt it.
What then?
Out. Never been happier

hilarity ensues

Re: Curious: How did the moderators become the moderators?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
I was sort of wondering this myself.
Maybe they asked?

Also, I believe that some people from this site knew each other before the site existed and were active on Dave's

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
It started off with a humble begining.  I put the site together after my first couple of months in S.Korea.  At the time I had also put a site together for the JLP2006 group, with everyone's photos.  That's not around anymore.

Brian and Virginia were the first two mods.  Brian is still on the site regularly, and Virginia is currently in the Middle--teaching--unless she's moved back home.

The rest of the mods joined in one of several ways.  Either we asked based on their contributions, knew them to be trust worthy, some have asked and after review of their contributions and time here either accepted or declined the request.

At this point in time, current mods have the ability to make recommendations with people they know or have followed closely on the boards.  There are also certain points in the year where we do recruit.

Does it hurt to ask for a mod position?  Nope, in fact we like people who are interested in helping out the waygook community, and are enthousiastic about teaching.  However, that being said, we take several things into factor.  Your time on the boards, with respect to contributions, the nature of those contributions.

Carpe PM... ZzzzzZzzz ZzzzZzzz.

Offline catsoup

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »
I was sort of wondering this myself.
Maybe they asked?

Also, I believe that some people from this site knew each other before the site existed and were active on Dave's

Yeah, it seems like everyone uses the same username between here, Dave's, and reddit.

Offline bawaugh

• Super Waygook
  • Let's have fun teaching the 4th grade.
Re: Do you ever get the feeling moderators or ADMIN aren't real people?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
I once got a PM from the Great Moderator himself asking me if I wanted to join up as a moderator.

Moderators are human, and the reality is that without them this site would fall apart in a few months to a year. We don't want a site that has lots of XXX stuff on it or virulent and libelous claims being thrown about, etc. .

While the Great Moderator does a great job with the IT side of things he obviously only has a limited number of hours in the day to organize this site. It would not surprise me if he has spent a bit of his own money on the site. (How much by the way?)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:04:18 PM by bawaugh »
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Do you ever get the feeling moderators or ADMIN aren't real people?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
While the Great Moderator does a great job with the IT side of things he obviously only has a limited number of hours in the day to organize this site. It would not surprise me if he has spent a bit of his own money on the site. (How much by the way?)

I moved your topic before replying to it.  Looks like it belongs in this thread, but was somehow posted in the thread about mods possibly being robots.  Not sure if that was done on purpose  :shocked: :huh:

It's been brought up before, but since you're curious, at this time the site hosting costs are around 1.2K US$ a month, the google adsense revenue brings about 200$, which is a little help, but the site still drains 12k a year from my pocket.  So, obviously if I just considered this a hobby, I would have ditched it for something a little more affordable, like a BMW motorcycle.  :laugh:

We've grown into a nice online community, but part of what we need to implement soon are paid AD spots.  I don't particularly care about revenue other than to cover hosting costs, and I know the mod team feels the same way.

We've had to make many changes to the site to help with the performance, esp. during peak hours.  The mod team is always diligent and sorting lesson plans.  It's a rather nice team, and that's why I often get upset at the little rants that aim at bashing the team of mods that put in their personal time to make this site valuable to everyone.

Offline Jrong

• The Legend
  • i love food
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »
Easy steps on how to become a moderator here:

1. Be professional (i.e. take your job very seriously and only use white-people language).
2. Post often but not too often, consistently giving good advice. Tone should be rational, not too extreme, and humble is a bonus.
3. Create some awesome bomb game or something that is viewed as very useful to the community.
4. Then just let Arsalan know you're interested.

Do all of these things and you're a shoe-in for the position.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

Offline Wintermute

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • High School - Speech
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
12K a year!!!

Is there like... a donate button for you?

Offline Arsalan

• Site Programmer
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
Yeah, it's steep. 4 servers dedicated to specific tasks, one has a very high CPU footprint because of the database queries during peak hours. I still need to upgrade the web frontend, but I have to wait on that when the AD spots are complete.

I appreciate the concern.  If we need the donations, we'll put one up, but I want to test the AD option first. :-) the server wont be used as much during the holidays. When does that start for most people? Roughly early Dec?

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
things are starting to wind down now. my fifth graders are writing a practice test today, and we have finals next week.

i think december will be relatively low-key: the semester ends on december 21st.

oh and december 19th is election day, so public schools will be closed.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

I appreciate the concern.  If we need the donations, we'll put one up, but I want to test the AD option first. :-) the server wont be used as much during the holidays. When does that start for most people? Roughly early Dec?

I have finals next week, but my semester doesn't actually end until Jan 4.