March 19, 2019, 11:08:10 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: VISA run's for korea?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Lo.Ft

• Adventurer
VISA run's for korea?
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
Hey there

I'm a South Africa whose contract is about to finish. After that i believe we have a 30 day tourist visa period, i would like to use that to travel around Korea then hop over to Japan. If i come over to Korea again after Japan, will i essentially be starting with a new  30 day tourist visa?

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
Re: VISA run's for korea?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
Yes, but you will have to have a ticket to show you are leaving Korea at some point in the future.

Offline Lo.Ft

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
sweet thanks

Offline Lo.Ft

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
Also, does anyone know how long we have in the country after our contract finishes? Do we get to be around for a month without applying for a Visa or do we have to get that done as soon as we finish?

eieayo

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
Your visa expires on the date you have on your ARC unless you go here: http://bus.congnamul.com/SeoulRouteWebApp/view_english/map.jsp
(You will need to register, all you need is your ARC number--the form fills in the rest for you based on the info. attached to your ARC number. Creepy, but efficient.)

Then, once you are signed in, fill out this e-application: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/CvlapplInfoDetailR_en.pt?cvlapplCd=12700000095&locale=en&cvlapplGbSeq=

It's kind of tricky because there is an extension of stay form (E-2's aren't eligible for the e-app on this one, and you probably need a good reason and have to go down to Immigration) and a TEMPORARY extension of stay (<30 days, which seems like it would work for you), which can be done online and is super easy. It takes about a day or so to process. You will need your ticket out of Korea, as they will basically issue you an extension until that day. Once they process the form, the web site will have a certificate for you to print out and show when you leave so you don't get in trouble with anyone. It's surprisingly efficient and easy.

And, like most things in Korea, these forms only really work with Internet Explorer, so I recommended doing it at work and bring a USB because you will have to get another e-certificate thing like the one you use for online banking.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:31:29 AM by eieayo »

Offline Lo.Ft

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »
sweet thanks man, that is helpful. But it doesn't exactly fit what im trying to do.

Basically i want to cycle around the country for a month then hit Japan for a few weeks then back to Korea for awhile then either off home or hopefully a new contract would have materialized. But if i need to show that i have a ticket out of the country after a month thats not really going to coincide with my plans. Maybe i need to go see someone so they can hear my situation.

Offline Koreak

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
I was in the same situation last year.  I finished my contract and then went travelling in China.  They wouldn't even let me on the plane to Korea unless I would purchase a ticket out of Korea within my 3 month tourist visa.

There was no arguing it.  However I just purchased the ticket, then traveled around on my tourist visa.  Once I got a new job, I just cancelled the plane ticket.  I can't recall exactly but I don't think it cost me any money to cancel because it was a one-way ticket.

Best of Luck!

Offline Lo.Ft

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
ya i was thinking maybe getting a ticket at the end of the 30days and then jus extending it, or if i can get a 90 day visa jus get the ticket then, lets hope.

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
If it helps I wrote about doing a visa run to Osaka a few years ago. It has been helpful to others. Also make sure your visa is extended or leave on the expiratin date or you can pay high fees at the airport.
http://foreignerjoy.blogspot.com/2009/12/osaka-visa-run-how-i-did-it.html

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
Also I used a ticket that wasn't even paid for. I just sent immigration the ticket email saying it is confirmed but the credit card I used wasn't taken by the airline. Immigration didn't know the difference. haha :laugh: