February 16, 2019, 03:07:00 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: suicide counseling  (Read 18862 times)

Offline GoCyclones

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: suicide counseling
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
Until you find someone, good sleep and a proper diet can help with some.

I linked to Harpo's site at the top of this thread some time ago.  He is good to talk to. 

Offline Cakemix

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
I just saw this thread here and would like to offer help to anyone having thoughts of harming themselves or others.

I was a Crisis/Suicide counselor for a 211 service in the states. I don't have the same community resources here (In South Korea) to make any referrals but I can offer short term and confidential counseling for free through a web chat service if you need some help or just need someone to talk to or any questions to ask.

Again, I can't be available 24/7 but if you send me a PM I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible and we can set up an appointment. My privacy and yours are important!

Before contacting me, however, I do recommend contacting a licensed professional or for immediate help there are services like this one.

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/gethelp/lifelinechat.aspx

You got this!!!

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »
I wonder what it's like to be dead? 

Sometimes it seems like the best option.

Happy people. Content people. It's surprising.
Hail Caesar

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Not so happy and content for those you leave behind.

I hope you are well. I know this place (Korea) can pile it on sometimes.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline mrtriathleet

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »
OP, you can share a little more about why you are feeling so down, if perhaps it helps you feel better to vent. Are you feeling sad with your choice to come to Korea or something? You have a paying job and your own pad, right? That alone puts you on a very stable platform to do ALL kinds of amazing and wonderful things with your life! Shake the stress and self doubt, and filter out the multitude of conflicting thoughts in your mind. Filter OUT the negative energy, and focus on yourself and your health. I like what some others have said; eat well no matter what, write down a schedule and stick to it! Sleep well, and try some exercise, like lifting weights. Increasing your natural hormones can often give you clarity and bring balance. Please don't despair, and talk with the professionals!

Offline afheil89

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »
Here is some international suicide hotlines to call (probably with skype app on your phone would be best), or call the south korean number.

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
I teach, eat, and travel through Korea and write about it. http://www.ashleyheil.com

Offline whowouldvethought?

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
Not sure if you are Christian but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter.  There is a minister at Cheongdam Methodist Church that offers counseling or an listening ear.  He is compassionate and offers advice only if you want it.  I don't believe he charges.  I believe he is South African.

Offline tamjen

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 07:49:57 AM »
Thanks to everyone who offered support and kind words. They helped.
Hail Caesar

Offline pseudonym13

• Waygookin
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
If one is deemed suicidal by a counselor at one of these places, what happens? Is one's school notified? If one is taken to the hospital, will one's school find out?

Basically, I just want a clear answer as to if my school will be notified if I seek help at either a hospital or counselor. What is the situation for each?

Please, I would appreciate serious answers only. I know people mean well, but please no yoga or treat yourself answers. I have had bipolar and therapy and medicine and all that rigamorall for years. Suicide is not always a rash decision as some believe. People take months to think about it and prepare. Also, some people are too depressed to have the energy to do yoga, or have isolated themselves too much to call a friend. And some people experience depression as a flat affect and do not receive pleasure like you may get from things. I'm just saying, please none of those suggestions. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:36:54 PM by pseudonym13 »

Offline peachkitten

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
If one is deemed suicidal by a counselor at one of these places, what happens? Is one's school notified? If one is taken to the hospital, will one's school find out?

Furthermore, if one tries to commit suicide and is interrupted, or fails for some reason, and one is taken to the hospital, will one's school be notified?

An answer before this weekend would be much appreciated. Trying to decide whether to seek help or not.

Hi, I'm not sure on the answers to your questions.
I think that... probably if you went to one of these places they wouldn't contact your school. But not sure.
I think if you failed and were taken to the hospital, yeah they would probably contact your school and it won't be too many ways you can say slitting your wrists was a drunken dare.
As for if you should seek help or not, yes I definitely think so. Even if it isn't professional help, just talking to a friend or family member, or heck even stranger (PM me if you'd like to chat with someone) can really help. Seriously trust me.

Stay strong!!! Keep your head up! And I know food is not the answer, but sometimes when I'm feeling really really down I go ahead and buy myself that cheesecake dessert at the Starbucks or spring for some sushi. Just because I deserve it. :) And when I'm sitting there eating my delicious snack and watching Mythbusters online, all is truly right with the world for an hour. And then things feel better by then hopefully. :)
So try it, or maybe a funny movie.

I hope you feel better and like I said, feel free to PM me if you want to talk further or even if you'd just like to share your feelings/thoughts/ramblings.
^^

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »

Basically, I just want a clear answer as to if my school will be notified if I seek help at either a hospital or counselor. What is the situation for each?

Please, I would appreciate serious answers only. I know people mean well, but please no yoga or treat yourself answers. I have had bipolar and therapy and medicine and all that rigamorall for years. Suicide is not always a rash decision as some believe. People take months to think about it and prepare. Also, some people are too depressed to have the energy to do yoga, or have isolated themselves too much to call a friend. And some people experience depression as a flat affect and do not receive pleasure like you may get from things. I'm just saying, please none of those suggestions. Thank you.

The answer to your questions is basically no, your school will not be notified. The only situation in which the police and most likely then your school would be notified is if you are deemed a danger to others. An emergency contact that you provide to a counselor would be notified if you are deemed likely to harm yourself in the immediate future. Again, if the police were to get involved in any way, then your school would likely be notified as well as immigration. I wish you all the best.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:59:08 PM by mrc45 »

Offline pseudonym13

• Waygookin
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
Thank you so much for your answer. I greatly appreciate this. ^^

Also, both responses. It's very kind of you.

Offline mrc45

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
Here is an article I wanted to share with people. Suicide affects one's family and loved ones far beyond what they may realize.

From 2013: "My brother hanged himself and it ripped our family apart. What about us?"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/relationships/fatherhood/10043260/My-brother-hanged-himself-and-it-ripped-our-family-apart.-What-about-us.html

Suicide is now the biggest killer of young men in Britain and is ripping families apart. It is time to break the taboo, says Emma Bird whose brother hanged himself.

At the same time, South Korea, which does not cover mental health under its national health insurance program, has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. I've had students in the past tell me they've thought about suicide. When I bring it up with their homeroom teacher, I'm told to just ignore it. We can't ignore this though; we all need to support those in need of help, regardless of which country we are in.

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »
Some great stuff posted above. I hope that we all find the love, listening ear and community we all desire. Here is a remarkable article that looks at the high suicide rate in the spring and what may actually be causing it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/studying-the-relation-between-spring-and-spiking-suicide-rates/article29392912/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=Referrer%3A+Social+Network+%2F+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
Here is an article I wanted to share with people. Suicide affects one's family and loved ones far beyond what they may realize.

From 2013: "My brother hanged himself and it ripped our family apart. What about us?"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/relationships/fatherhood/10043260/My-brother-hanged-himself-and-it-ripped-our-family-apart.-What-about-us.html

Suicide is now the biggest killer of young men in Britain and is ripping families apart. It is time to break the taboo, says Emma Bird whose brother hanged himself.

At the same time, South Korea, which does not cover mental health under its national health insurance program, has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. I've had students in the past tell me they've thought about suicide. When I bring it up with their homeroom teacher, I'm told to just ignore it. We can't ignore this though; we all need to support those in need of help, regardless of which country we are in.

While true, guilt tripping someone out of suicide isn't exactly a healthy long-term (or often short-term) solution.

This shit's pretty serious, and I know because I have friends and family who have attempted. Hell, if I wasn't so angry and stubborn, I probably would have tried a few times.

The best takeaway from that article isn't that suicide tears apart those left behind, but that we need to foment a culture where it's ok to not be ok, and that help can be found.

That's a pretty hefty uphill battle in most of the world. As teachers, the best bet is to try and break the cycle of taboo by softening the youth's perceptions of mental health. Again, uphill battle, but the times are a changing in this country.

Offline danmuzicman

• Waygookin
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
https://www.angloinfo.com/seoul/directory/seoul-counselling-therapists-477

A good Dr. I know is 02-511-2512‬ Dr. Shin Ho Chul in Apuejung. He was an Army surgeon and psychologist. He helped a friend out with the same problems a lot of people are having on here.