March 21, 2019, 12:02:51 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 136207 times)

Offline teacher_del

• Expert Waygook
Re: ice cream in a bag, middle school or elmentary level
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
ICE:  Most convenience stores or marts will sell bags of ice.  If your school has regular dealings with a local mart, they may have a portable cooler or something that they can lend you for a couple of hours to bring the ice.  If we order ahead, our mart is happy to deliver frozen products to the classroom in a cooler we return after class.  Today we had milkshakes in a bag!  We'll be doing the same with the ice for this project.

SALT: Most stores which sell groceries will also sell bags of coarse salt.  You don't need actual rock salt for success, but you do need something coarser than table salt.  The coarse-grained rice used in some Korean cooking will work fine.  It's cheap, too.  Look at the bags (clear plastic is my friend in Korea) until you find something that looks right. 

MUSIC: Any suggestions?  So far I'm using "Hey Ya" (Charlie Brown version) and "Shake Your Booty."  Do you have more suggestions for upbeat songs that the students will 95% ignore?  My coteacher really wants to use English songs.  :)

Offline negacoca

• Veteran
Rainsforest Food
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
Here is a simple powerpoint about rainforest food intended for first and second grade children.  We're going to slice bananas, dip them in orange juice with toothpicks, then sprinkle on bits of chocolate.

Offline sungsaneem

• Adventurer
Re: Cooking Day
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
I want to try making deviled eggs with my 5/6 graders but not sure if they'll like the taste. I was wondering if any waygookers have tried this at their schools and what was the students' response? I don't want to waste time and money on something that the students will end up hating.

Offline kiekie87

• Veteran
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
thanks a bunch! I really like the icecream powerpoint :)
All ideas grow out of other ideas.
Anish Kapoor

Offline lotus48

• Newgookin
Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2011, 11:32:45 AM »
During summer camp, I made a pizza.
This is the pizza worksheet.

Offline californiacurt

• Explorer
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
Things I have learned from doing this activity the past 5 years:

1. The salt easily falls into the ice cream when the bag is opened. To help avoid this duct tape the top of the baggies (which will also help keep them from opening) and wipe the baggies as much as possible with a towel once the ice cream is ready.
2. If you are doing the version where you take small baggies with the ingredients in them and place a couple of them in a large freezer baggie have the kids toss the whole thing back and forth to get it all mixed or take a t-shirt or towel and have them gently twirl and swing it around with the baggie inside.

This is a lot of work and not a cheap activity to do. However, the kids will love it if they don't get ANY salt in the ice cream which will ruin it. If salt gets in there be prepared to let them make another one.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:03:33 AM by californiacurt »

Offline kissdisap

• Veteran
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2011, 07:58:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I didn't even consider the salt getting into the bag... 

Things I have learned from doing this activity the past 5 years:

1. The salt easily falls into the ice cream when the bag is opened. To help avoid this duct tape the top of the baggies (which will also help keep them from opening) and wipe the baggies as much as possible with a towel once the ice cream is ready.
2. If you are doing the version where you take small baggies with the ingredients in them and place a couple of them in a large freezer baggie have the kids toss the whole thing back and forth to get it all mixed or take a t-shirt or towel and have them gently twirl and swing it around with the baggie inside.

This is a lot of work and not a cheap activity to do. However, the kids will love it if they don't get ANY salt in the ice cream which will ruin it. If salt gets in there be prepared to let them make another one.

Offline unazin

• Explorer
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
It's an amazing idea. I love it. Thanks a lot. It's very wonderful for summer camp. I'll try it.

Online dukie

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
This is a great activity. 

Since my school has a budget for summer camp, I've decided to take it to the next level and show them how to make a sundae.  Banana, chocolate syrup, and crushed oreo's.

I'll also will be showing them these two Animaniacs videos to go along with my PPT's.

Thanks for the great idea.

Offline teacherjenni

• Super Waygook
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
I just finished this lesson and what to talk about my miserable fail so that the next person can learn from my mistakes.

First, I did this with a group of 20 rowdy 3rd & 4th graders (maybe that was my first mistake, but I'm not going to count that).
My three main problems: There was not enough ice (2 5k bags = enough for max 10 students)
                                        There was not enough salt (1K salt = enough for max 10 students)
                                        I didn't buy the 'easy zip' bags. I bought regular ziplock bags.

It was quite warm in my room and the ice started melting almost immediatly. Bags busted, the outer ziplock leaked, and water got on everything. Only 1 or 2 students actually got close to ice cream consistancy. The rest had a mess and a frown. We ran out of wipes and the desks, floors, and chairs were too wet to sit on.

I do plan to do this activity again, knowing better how much of each item I need. Plus, my next attempt will be with 5th & 6th graders. Much more able to follow directions. I think this is a great activity, just not well executed on my part. Also, I think this would be better outside because the bags do make quite a bit of condensation if the ice melts.

Happy creaming.

Offline rookiewaygook

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
Thanks everybody for letting us know what you learned from the lessons. I'm using this tomorrow and I really hope it turns out alright! (My science experiment day was half-fail XD)

Offline steinkma3806

• Adventurer
Food (pizza) Camp 4th Grade
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
Period 1
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:06:59 AM by steinkma3806 »

Offline steinkma3806

• Adventurer
Re: Food (pizza) Camp 4th Grade
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
Period 2

Offline steinkma3806

• Adventurer
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »
Period 3

Offline steinkma3806

• Adventurer
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:36 AM »
Period 4

Offline jessicateacher

• Adventurer
  • Best teacher in Busan 2009
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »
jus a food ppt im using for camp. has a guess the country based on a pic of the food at the end

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
I just finished this lesson and what to talk about my miserable fail so that the next person can learn from my mistakes.

First, I did this with a group of 20 rowdy 3rd & 4th graders (maybe that was my first mistake, but I'm not going to count that).
My three main problems: There was not enough ice (2 5k bags = enough for max 10 students)
                                        There was not enough salt (1K salt = enough for max 10 students)
                                        I didn't buy the 'easy zip' bags. I bought regular ziplock bags.

It was quite warm in my room and the ice started melting almost immediatly. Bags busted, the outer ziplock leaked, and water got on everything. Only 1 or 2 students actually got close to ice cream consistancy. The rest had a mess and a frown. We ran out of wipes and the desks, floors, and chairs were too wet to sit on.

I do plan to do this activity again, knowing better how much of each item I need. Plus, my next attempt will be with 5th & 6th graders. Much more able to follow directions. I think this is a great activity, just not well executed on my part. Also, I think this would be better outside because the bags do make quite a bit of condensation if the ice melts.

Happy creaming.

Oh. My. Word.  Just noticed my co bought NORMAL baggies, not strong ziplock ones.. I'm totally bringing "extra bags for incase" tomorrow (sneaking in ziplocks all round.. sh*t.

Offline beet

• Explorer
Re: about summer camp cooking day
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
Thank you for sharing the link!!
We changed it a little bit by adding condensed milk instead of ice cream!
It was easy enough to make and the students really enjoyed it  :)

Offline jon-anon

• Veteran
Re: about summer camp cooking day
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2011, 12:57:30 PM »
We made patbingsu during our cooking day as well - pretty similar to what's already posted, but here's what I took away from that day:
We used: Frozen milk
     canned red beans
     canned fruit cocktail
     strawberry syrup
     chocolate syrup
     jelly candies
     condensed milk
     corn flakes
     dduk (rice cake, I got some nice mochi filled w/ red beans from the local dduk stand)

So the tip:  Use small bowls if possible.  We already had these fairly big bowls, and I had the kids pair up to share their creation, but it got crazy, fast.  3 of 4 groups made way too much and decided to take it home (using the empty milk cartons)  Also, regulate how much of any ingredient they use - I ran out of rice cake by the time my last pair made theirs.  Maybe have them all do it at the same time?

I found that the frozen milk (which I thawed for about 20 minutes before the activity) in the paper cartons took well to being smashed against the edge of the table to get it out of solid-block-of-milk state.  In the future, I might replace some of those sweet elements with some green tea powder or something. Also using the mochi w/ red bean filling was too sweet, regular patbingsu dduk would have been better.

Offline danakate104

• Waygookin
Make a Restaurant Camp
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
K so we made a restaurant. I only had 4 days, 80 minute classes and the last 20 minutes we watched Ratatouille from the BOE and did the handout.

Day1. First powerpoint~ discuss countries and foods from each one. Have students group up and decide what style of food they're going to have at their restaurant (Italian, Mexican, American) Then make a mind map of foods they already know. Tell them to go home and research foods from the country, finish mind maps tomorrow.

Day2. Finish mindmaps, then use the second powerpoint to discuss menus, 4 main parts. Tell them to come up with a name for their restaurant and make their menu. I made an example with 4 Apps, 4 Mains, etc.

Day 3. Use the links to show the kids various commercials. I discussed with them the main 5 things the commercials had 1. Happy people 2. the food 3. prices 4. humour (burger king) and 5. famous people (Pizza Hut ads, Korean (Bi, Rain) and American (Jessica) Then tell the kids to write a script and come up with a commercial. Helps if you have colouring stuff cuz they'll want to "make food" I filmed my commercials on this day cuz i only had 4 days but you can stretch it out.

Last Day~ Show the commercials to the kids. woot.

[Mod edit - removed empty attachment]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:05:59 AM by complex303 »