January 23, 2019, 05:42:43 PM

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 134477 times)

Offline airina

• Explorer
Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »
Well.... Hello!
Here is my first attempt to participate alittle bit with you guys =)
If there are any mistakes or if you want to change to suit your classes, feel free to do so.
I am leaving Korea soon and want to share as much as possible before I go...
But I guess I have to figure out how things work on this site -_-;

Probably not this summer camp but may come helpful for your winter camp =)

Offline airina

• Explorer
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Feel free to edit or correct mistakes if you want.

Our school kid's level of english is quite low so I tried to keep it simple as possible.
Go easy on the mayos as some of Korean kids are not very used to the taste and finds it greasy & smelly.
For me, I divided the students before we made the sandwich so that they can make it without mayos.

Have fun =)

Offline naskland

• Explorer
Re: Egg Cucumber Sandiwish - for G3&4
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
This is actually a really awesome idea, thank you!  It's goog for my low budget since cucumbers and eggs are really cheap!

Offline bretzlz86

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
For anybody doing a cooking day or a cooking theme, here are some useful worksheets that I found. One is a recipe sheet where the students can write down the ingredients, equipment, and the instructions. The other one is certificate that you could give to your students for participating that day or for the week.

Hope they are useful :)

Offline tanjan

• Explorer
Re: Cooking Day
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2011, 11:03:56 AM »
Thanks,  cooking is always a great hit with the students.  Works well with middle school students.

Offline tcieteacher

• Explorer
Re: Cooking Day
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:30 AM »
With my elementary students and $0 budget, I asked the kids to bring pound cakes and whip cream that they bought at paris baguette.  I brought some other candies and fruits and the kids got to decorate cakes while we watched a movie.  This was our end of camp party day, and the kids loved the chance to get creative and a little messy.

Offline minnekev

• Waygookin
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
Thanks, you just saved me for my food day!

Offline ME_3

• Waygookin
Re: ice cream in a bag, middle school or elmentary level
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
Great Idea! I have 2 questions though. 1) How long does the lesson usually take? I only have 45 minutes. 2) How many students does one bag of ice cream feed? I would hate to run out!

I think it would be really fun to do an ice cream quiz or "ice cream flavors from around the world" activity during the 20 minutes it takes for them to shake the bag. I cant wait to do this with my summer camp!

Offline strawberry

• Expert Waygook
  • Strawberries of Wrath
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
Just remember the shaking might be noisy (you wont be able to talk over the sound of 20+ bags of ice shaking)... also.. I don't think they'll want to listen to anything while shaking/making ice cream :)

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
Thanks - looks fun.

Offline minnekev

• Waygookin
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 10:03:55 AM »
Awesome, thanks!! Am thinking about having an afternoon tea day at my camp with cucumber and egg salad sanwiches, this is the perfect way to combine them!!  8)

Offline ekdP1010

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
I was looking for some simple cooking lesson for summer camp. I think it can meet the low budget of the camp. I almost gave up having cooking class with kids. I can suggest this idea! Thank you! Make it simple and easy. It's the best to control many kids during the camp^^

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
Speaking of cooking and cheap, has anyone seen 100s and 1000s (ie: little coloured balls of sugar packaged in a parmesan cheese-style shaker) anywhere in Korea? I've scoured Daejeon Costco (dunno if shops vary in stock) and had no luck. I'd love to do fairybread one camp but one ingredient is tricky (hint: it's not the bread). Tesco has the softer elongate sprinkles which are kinda a compromise, but at a price comparable to genuine saffron, a compromise not worth it.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline toni

• Waygookin
Re: about summer camp cooking patbingsu
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
my coteachers suggested this too! but i cant see how it solves the problem! im trying to suggest frozen bananas instead. it still sucks, but this way the kids get to decorate bananas with chocolate syrup or peanut butter and then add sprinkles of what other goodies i can get my hands on. hoping it'll be messy and interesting enough for them, and i can keep in budget too!

Offline canadiacraig

• Explorer
Summer Camp Baking
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
This is the easiest way to look like a proper chef... and to get your students all hopped up on sugar!

I'm doing this in my camp next week. And after the baking is done we'll prepare customized recipe cards on big sheets of paper. The kids can decorate them however they want.

Here's the recipe:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=473773

All you need is a burner (I've got those portable hob/propane things at my school... just grabbed it from the Home Ec teacher).
A pot.
A cookie sheet.
Tin Foil.
A toaster oven (mine's pretty light so I just chuck it in a bag and take it on the subway).

After you've prepared everything, the recipe calls for cooling them off, BUT I recommend freezing them over night. It's much better for the taste/texture and also adds an element of longing for the little buggers!

I'll let you know how it goes... made them last week (also added a layer of peanut butter!) and people's faces lit up like a Christmas tree!
p.s. Also, you can mod the recipe and use graham crackers instead of saltines... or go half and half. plus, I sprinkled a little salt on top after the chocolate cooled down. Adds a little punch!

Offline canadiacraig

• Explorer
Camp Baking
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
This is the easiest way to look like a proper chef... and to get your students all hopped up on sugar!

I'm doing this in my camp next week. And after the baking is done we'll prepare customized recipe cards on big sheets of paper. The kids can decorate them however they want.

Here's the recipe:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=473773

All you need is a burner (I've got those portable hob/propane things at my school... just grabbed it from the Home Ec teacher).
A pot.
A cookie sheet.
Tin Foil.
A toaster oven (mine's pretty light so I just chuck it in a bag and take it on the subway).
And all of the ingredients, obviously!

After you've prepared everything, the recipe calls for cooling them off, BUT I recommend freezing them over night. It's much better for the taste/texture and also adds an element of longing for the little buggers!

I'll let you know how it goes... made them last week (also added a layer of peanut butter!) and people's faces lit up like a Christmas tree!
p.s. Also, you can mod the recipe and use graham crackers instead of saltines... or go half and half. plus, I sprinkled a little salt on top after the chocolate cooled down. Adds a little punch!

Offline Stand

• Newgookin
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
If you have a limited time or very young children there is also an ice cream mix that you can get from GS supermarket which only requires to be mixed with milk and put in the freezer, so they can still 'make' ice cream, but it will be a shorter process.

Offline Marissa

• Waygookin
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
Oh sweet Lord, thank you soooo much for these worksheets! I left my USB at school and my food lesson is tomorrow - had all of my unfinished worksheets on there, so this saved me!

Offline cswehla

• Adventurer
Re: Ice Cream in a Bag
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
I did this with all of my first and second year students (about 700 students) a few weeks ago and made a whole class around the activity.  It was definitely fun, but I also suggest  it as a camp activity lol

How did you store all the ice?

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
is rock salt available at most grocery stores?  Not sure where to get it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.