March 21, 2019, 11:54:51 AM

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 136206 times)

Offline s.j

• Waygookin
Ice cream in a bag
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Oops and I forgot to add:

I see many people asking about how we paid for the materials. I teach in Chungnam at two schools. My main school has a budget for both school's summer camp materials. I think you will have to ask your teacher about it but mine actually told me to spend as much as I possibly can of that money for camp, so I did  :) I just had to tell her what to buy and she bought it. So find out from your co-teacher, I'm sure most schools will have it?

Offline andrewskr

• Newgookin
Re: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »
In summer camp we had a culture theme and in the middle of camp I had a birthday. The students actually came up with the idea a month out to make me a birthday cake for camp. I had time to plan and worked it so each group of 5 students could make a one layer cake and add frosting and icing. It was messy and everyone perfered the making of the cake and eating of it not the clean up after. If you have the resources I would say this is a great day and the students will talk about it for the rest of the year. Mine are still coming to me saying "Teacher, cake day was great! Can we do it again?"

In our summer camp we had ovens that we could use in the Home Ec room, but if you can't actually make a cake in school this way you can always use the microwave cake recipe or you can bring cake in for them to decorate. They won't be making the cake, but it's close. We had simple decorations of cheap fruit, sprinkles and chocolate chips. I got icing from an international market and the students loved the strawberry and chocolate icing the most. Vanilla icing didn't go over very well with any of the students.

We did the PPT first with the work sheet so they had to fill in instructions to actually make the cake. After when cakes were done we did birthday celebrtions of the world. Since our theme was cultures it brought it back to what they were suppose to be learning. I will say the biggest thing is they do not want to wait and let the cake cool and they will pick at the cake before decorating, but it's fun to see the amazed look when they see they have actually made a cake.

Feel free to change anything and use everything!

Offline heatherhmtang

• Adventurer
« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2013, 07:21:21 AM »
I've attached a chocolate fondue ppt and recipe. This is meant for low level students. But you can always adjust it for your own needs.

Offline miriah.lawrence

• Veteran
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
brownies!!!

Offline miriah.lawrence

• Veteran
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
making egg salad sandwiches. PPT, vocab and worksheet

Offline TeacherLK

• Waygookin
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2013, 01:58:56 PM »
Five Minute Microwave Cake

Someone else posted the recipe for this in this thread and I made a powerpoint for the ingredients and instructions. There's another "recipe card" post somewhere here in this thread, too. I made the kids write down the ingredients and instructions on their recipe card.

I have about 32 kids, I put them in groups of two to make the cakes (16 cakes). My school bought the supplies and everything cost about 40k won.

Shopping list:
Two one kilo bags sugar
Two small bags flour
One jug of milk
One big bottle of vegetable oil
Three small bags chocolate chips
Three small bags cocoa
Two cartons of eggs (make sure you have one egg for each cake)
Sprinkles and M&Ms to decorate
Powder sugar + milk if you want to make frosting

I also found some "colored sugar powder" to color the frosting, but it doesn't make very bright colors and the cakes are so dark it doesn't really show up, I wouldn't bother with it.

I did this camp last Thursday with half the kids, went really well. Remember to tell them to level off their tablespoons or their cakes will be too big and not fit in the mugs. Also, make sure there's a plate in the microwave as the cakes will run over the side of the mug and make a mess. Too much cocoa will make the cakes not as tasty, but the kids want more "chocolate," they don't know that cooking chocolate isn't sweet, so watch them!

Good luck and happy cooking!

Has anyone tried making these mug cakes in small paper cups? My co teachers are trying to save money by not having mugs. I'm going to go ahead and experiment.....I just wanted to see if anyone has tried this before the trial and error begins!  :undecided:
Use Iherb code QIZ216 for $5-$10 off your first order! :)

Offline magicperson32yoda

• Waygookin
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Five Minute Microwave Cake

Someone else posted the recipe for this in this thread and I made a powerpoint for the ingredients and instructions. There's another "recipe card" post somewhere here in this thread, too. I made the kids write down the ingredients and instructions on their recipe card.

I have about 32 kids, I put them in groups of two to make the cakes (16 cakes). My school bought the supplies and everything cost about 40k won.

Shopping list:
Two one kilo bags sugar
Two small bags flour
One jug of milk
One big bottle of vegetable oil
Three small bags chocolate chips
Three small bags cocoa
Two cartons of eggs (make sure you have one egg for each cake)
Sprinkles and M&Ms to decorate
Powder sugar + milk if you want to make frosting

I also found some "colored sugar powder" to color the frosting, but it doesn't make very bright colors and the cakes are so dark it doesn't really show up, I wouldn't bother with it.

I did this camp last Thursday with half the kids, went really well. Remember to tell them to level off their tablespoons or their cakes will be too big and not fit in the mugs. Also, make sure there's a plate in the microwave as the cakes will run over the side of the mug and make a mess. Too much cocoa will make the cakes not as tasty, but the kids want more "chocolate," they don't know that cooking chocolate isn't sweet, so watch them!

Good luck and happy cooking!

Has anyone tried making these mug cakes in small paper cups? My co teachers are trying to save money by not having mugs. I'm going to go ahead and experiment.....I just wanted to see if anyone has tried this before the trial and error begins!  :undecided:

I would highly suggest not using paper cups.  It gets very very hot. I think it would just melt.
I had the kids bring in a mug from home. Also that way they can just bring the cups home and wash them. The wash up can take a long time.

Offline AbigailJoy

• Veteran
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Recipe and PPT for Dirt Cake.  Combined a few American and Korean recipes that I found, based on what resources were accessible and affordable.  No cooking or baking required, and very little cutting.  Enjoy!

Offline 0mnslnd

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2013, 03:53:31 PM »
French toast

Very easy to make
Out. Never been happier

Offline shanfox123

• Explorer
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
For our cooking day of summer camp, I thought it would be fun to do an "American Breakfast" theme.  Most days I come to school they ask me what I had for breakfast and laugh when I tell them what I ate. Usually they say they had kimchi, rice, and some kind of soup.

We are going to talk about western manners, use a western style plate setting and then cook breakfast.  I decided to make pancakes, an omelet, and tie dye toast. We will have milk or juice along with that.

The pancake powerpoint is one that I found and modified.  The rest I made myself. I also found a recipe for homemade maple syrup that I am going to make at home and bring to school.

Offline karien

• Waygookin
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Summer camp recipes.

Offline new-waygook

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:21 PM »
I found this recipe for french toast roll-ups that with a few modifications would work for a cooking project if you don't mind cleaning afterwards.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/blueberry-french-toast-roll-ups-cream-cheese-dipping-sauce/

I'd say cut the crust off the bread beforehand and prepare the batter for dipping as well as the cinnamon sugar at home. That way all the kids have to do is roll out the bread pieces (use cups or soup cans so you don't need rolling pins) and then slather with your choices of jelly and then roll.  Then just dip them and you can bake or fry them.  Once they are cooked and cooled a little, roll them in the cinnamon sugar and they are ready to eat. 

You can easily skip the cream cheese dipping sauce all together (or make it before hand because it's cream cheese dipping sauce and who doesn't want that?).  I just like that this has lots of little steps so you can easily delegate a different child (or small groups) for each step of the process and all the ingredients are easy to find in Korea.  It will be messy though! 

Offline ci2012

• Adventurer
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »
Cookies and cream bars.

Offline janelle_j

• Veteran
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2013, 03:45:24 PM »
Hey guys, I made tacos/tortillas for camp. It was a 2 day camp (4 periods each day);  grades 4 and 5.

Detailed description of activities with tips and review notes are attached in the Winter Camp file. The materials list there is just what my school paid for-- and prices aren't complete, just guesses. They ended up sending me to Emart with the school credit card. I spent 70,000 from the school budget, and another 20 out of pocket for napkins, salsa, and misc ingredients. Luckily my school already had portable stoves and pots/pans, as well as knives and cutting boards from the home ec. room.

I will say that my students didn't like most of the non-cooking activities. Newbie me has learned that they don't like learning anything new during camp; just practice what they already know.

Actual cooking took a lot longer than I thought, so I am glad I prepared a lot of the food before hand. Everything was pre-rinsed and measured. I had the ingredients set up into little "kits" which I just handed out to each group when it was time. With cleanup and cooking time, I ended up going 20 minutes over... the students loved it, so IMO, it was worth it.

If you don't want to tackle the enormity of tacos, but have a stove... the tortillas are SUPER easy so you can always do cinnamon sugar dessert tacos instead. I used coconut oil, but any kind of oil will work. Best of luck everyone :)

Offline JonSnow

• Waygookin
cooking pancakes
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:16 PM »
I patched together a few ppts on pancakes and added some of my own to create a lesson for cooking pancakes.
Students should follow the ppt and then use the handout to fill in missing words from the recipe.
Enjoy!
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code NAQ098 , or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline ZeroSummer

• Waygookin
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
It's for my afterschool, but I did a trail mix-making activity that could be used for a day of cooking camp. We looked at the powerpoint, then mixed up ingredients. After they'd all eaten some mix, they filled out the worksheet and brought it up to the front if they wanted seconds.

We got some good discussion going about what you can do with dry, portable snacks, because the boys though there should be milk in the trail mix.

Offline jblant01

• Adventurer
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
Oreos and Gummy Worms Dirt Cake ppt.

Offline stacykristina

• Adventurer
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Here is a PPT on how to make a parfait!  Thanks to the person who made the template!

Offline jc in gimhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »
sandwich wraps!  get some tortillas, veggies, and cheese and its good to go.  the ppt includes worksheets, puzzles, pass the ball, and instructions

Offline samhuxley89

• Adventurer
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
Burritos lesson and Chocolate banana pancake lesson. Burritos in particular were a hit!