March 22, 2019, 01:42:22 AM

Author Topic: Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials  (Read 136235 times)

Offline odin002

• Explorer
Re: about summer camp cooking day
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:48 AM »
We made pizza, using the usual ham, cheese and pineapple etc. The school doesn't have enough small ovens so we cooked the pizza in an electric frypan. We used mandu pastry as the base - you can get it at the supermarket and it is cheap, it gets crispy too.

We added to the activity by making a crossword and a wordfind at www.eslactivities.com

Offline celestial81186

• Waygookin
Re: Make a Restaurant Camp
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
I like this idea!  I had my students design a restaurant today in camp.  I really would like for them to try the commercial.  That sounds like it would be fun and allow some creativity.  Any specifics on how to structure the commercial activity?

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
Camp Cooking - Recipes and Teaching Materials
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »
This camp was designed for 3rd and 4th graders. It was a week long, for 2 hours each day, and we did 2 recipes almost every day. I had a co-teacher helping with the cooking, but I taught the class completely in English (no co-teacher translations). The kids learned the English sections pretty well.

If you are interested in using this camp, I'd suggest only using 1 recipe a day (especially if you haven't done many cooking classes with your kids). I finished on time every day, but I had to hurry and I've taught cooking classes at school several times before. The recipes were generally great successes. Some kids didn't like mayo though, so a few had a little difficulty on day 2 (Let's go on a Picnic). I confess we have an oven in our English department (I don't know why, but I took advantage of it:)) However, there are a few, non-cook recipes in here. Enough to stretch it the whole week if need. And the pizza cooking day could be replaced by fruit pizzas, (the cream cheese kind).

I didn't make chocolate chip cookies or Thumbprint cookies, because I've already cooked them with my after school classes (rice krispie treats, ants on a log,  and chocolate cake in a mug as well) . If you want the ppt and recipe though, let me know and I'll post them.

But in general, this camp went really well. I don't know how to make connect the dot worksheets, so I did a hodge podge version on ppt. They can be printed as is. 

As for cost, my co-teacher applied to the POE for a budjet. The total cost for this camp came to about $120. However, you can always charge 5,000 W a kid and have a class of about 22 students.

My other grades are jealous, and I believe that if it worked with a class of whom were 90% 3rd graders, that it will easily work for other grades as well.

In all good luck and enjoy. (I've posted by day)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:00:24 PM by ariybird »

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
Re: Elementary School Cooking Camp
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
Day 1 Welcome to the Kitchen - Banana Bread - English : do and don't
Day 2 - Let's go a picnic - deviled eggs, apple pie sald - English: should and shouldn't

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Day 3 - Mind Your Manners Manners Please -  No Bake Chocolate Orange Cookies and Instant Pudding - English: should/ shouldn't
Day 4 - Just Desserts - IVY Cracker Candy - Ice Cream in a Bag - English: Present Progressive Tense
Day 5 I Want Pepperoni on my Pizza - Pizza - English: Prepositions (location)

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2011, 11:33:37 AM »
last attachments - includes the camp syllabus

Offline gato_esl

• Adventurer
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
I did some cooking recipes for my Summer Camp this year and it went over well.  Looking at these easy recipes makes me think I'm going to implement cooking again for my Winter Camp.  Thanks for the recipes!

Offline HB

• Explorer
Cooking Class: Cheese Cake
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
This is a simple recipe that can be used for all levels and doesn't need an oven. Some students may not have somethings like an electric hand mixer and something like a hot plate that you can plug into the wall to melt the butter, but as long as you have at least one you can share.

I recommend making a practice cake yourself before you do it in class. The topping has to be thick, if it is runny then the cake won't set.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:17:54 PM by HB »

Offline Whimsy

• Waygookin
Re: Cooking Class: Cheese Cake
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
Please upload the same in Powerpoint 97-3003 compatible files. pptx and docx are murder!

Offline thofat

• Newgookin
Re: ice cream in a bag, middle school or elmentary level
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
Always a favourite.  Try using some more exotic ingredients and challenge the students.  A tomato and basil sorbet works well
5 tomatoes
 120 ml lemon juice
 1 spoon of salt
 70 ml water
 70 gram sugar
 tomato puree
 chopped basil
 gelatin (to stabilize the air)

Offline Teacherteacher2011

• Explorer
Summer camp - Food
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
This is a lesson plan for food during camp.
There's a lot of material. Some of it worked well.

Offline caranundomiel

• Waygookin
Re: Summer camp - Food
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2011, 09:31:56 AM »
What age group did you do this for? I downloaded your lesson plan but it's completely blank. :-(

Offline Blood Glutton

• Waygookin
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »
Brilliant!

I've made tacos, burgers, spaghetti, and deep-fried Mars bars with my middle-schoolers over the years, but it had never crossed my mind to make ice cream.

Looking forward to trying this out this winter.

Thanks.

Offline lotte world

• The Legend
  • (rolls eyes)
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Actually, this is a lesson in our 2nd Year Middle School text book.  We usually do it just before or after summer.  The entire lesson in the text book is focused on making ice-cream in a bag, with vocab and other activities based on that topic.  The core of the lesson is making the ice cream, which is split into about 10 steps.  I suppose some unlucky students will simply study it, and others (like mine) get to make it.

The key points from my textbook lesson are:
1) Use two small ziplok bags (put the milk inside one, then put it inside the second one)
2) Squeeze the excess air out of the small bags
3) Put the small bags into a large ziplok bag
4) Put the ice and salt in the large bag
5) Wrap the big bag in newspaper (for insulation)
6) Wrap the whole lot in an old t-shirt, grab the ends between two students, and shake it for about 10 minutes
7) When removing the small bags, wipe the outer bag (to remove the salty water) *before* opening the inner bag
8) Expect something to go wrong and a big mess to eventuate with maybe one group

Generally it worked out well.  Very few students had salt in their ice cream.  We used about 1 paper cup of milk (about 180 ml) which made enough ice cream for a team of 4 to get a taste.

Offline sirhin

• Waygookin
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
I did this for my summer camp and it was a blast! :) One thing: my Co and I made a huge bag of our own, which came in handy when two of our kids got salt in their ice cream and another kid's ice cream never formed. But this was out of 20 kids so it's not bad. :)

Here are the materials I used for the camp! It includes a section on terminology along with making the ice cream itself.

NOTES:
- Make sure the kids know to close every bag SECURELY
- Shake it as hard as they can with no stops or pausing
- I recommend tasting your liquid ice cream before you shake away
- I explained everything beforehand before giving them their materials
- Gloves/towels are good because those bags get COLD so tell the kids the day before to bring something
- The ice will melt and create condensation so it has the potential to get messy
- All of this is worth it :)

Offline schmiler

• Waygookin
Re: "Western Food" lesson
« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Thank you so much!

Offline cnicolaou2

• Adventurer
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
The commercial idea sounds like a winner! Definitely going to try that one out :) Thanks

Offline Andrea.ESL

• Adventurer
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »
I had planned to make a restaurant with my students this summer, but it didn't end up happening (my CT said it was too much art not enough English).  I found a site that has some great materials, if anyone needs:

http://www.mes-english.com/vkeypals/restaurant.php

Offline thecosmopolitanchild

• Waygookin
  • thecosmopolitanchild.com
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
When my CT told me I would be in charge of the cooking day, I had an "Oh Sh*t!" moment. Thanks a ton for posting all this material!

Offline ariybird

• Veteran
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
I've had requests for the rice krispy material as well. So here it is. However, I also posted the chocalate cake in a mug recipe as a ppt since I'm unaware of anything outlining the ingredients as well. My apologies if there is indeed already such a ppt in existence.

Additionally, there is hot chocolate on a stick (kids can freeze it on a toothpick and take it home to warm it up in hot milk). If you are still looking for more recipes for the classroom, i also recommend peanut brittle (which I can posted already as a seperate thread. Just run a search on it:))