August 22, 2018, 01:04:06 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread  (Read 94017 times)

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Lady's Section: Birth control and OBGYN ?s
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
Hi Peachkitten. The following may be a bit TMI but it's important to know I think.

I have an implanon which I got inserted in New Zealand. I'm not sure where you're from, but it was much cheaper back home than in Korea - 175K vs the 400k I've seen quoted for Korea.

I have had some issues with the implanon, mainly spotting/bleeding through. I saw a gyno in Korea and have spent the last few months being prescribed additional birth control to get my periods back to normal. My gyno seemed really reluctant to remove the implant which is what I went in to do initially.

I read up on the implanon AFTER I got it and spotting/bleeding is super common, and can last for a year. I had my period for two months before I saw the gyno. Ugh! If I could go back I'd get an IUD. I know two people who have got them in Korea and they're cheaper, discomfort is minimal and they last longer.

Edit: Posted this before I'd had my coffee! What I meant to say is that getting the Implanon here is more expensive, and could be difficult to get removed if you do have problems (and also expensive, I assume removal is as much as insertion.) If you're wavering between the IUD and Implanon, I personally would go for an IUD - insertion and removal will be cheaper if there are issues with it. Both of my friends got them for less than 150K each.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:18:01 AM by anna.rpo »
http://karoritokorea.blogspot.com/

Use code WAK323 for iherb, up to $10 off your first order. You know you want to.

Offline SupaTeacha

• Veteran
Re: Women - what's the easiest way to start Birth Control in Korea?
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2013, 09:19:55 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for low estrogen birth control? Is it fairly easy to find over the counter as well? Thanks!

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
Merged two related threads. SupaTeacha - have a look through these posts for low oestrogen pill info.

Use code WAK323 for iherb, up to $10 off your first order. You know you want to.

Offline peachkitten

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »
Anna.rpo, thank you for the advice. It wasn't TMI at all; I really like and appreciate lots of details.

The cost of an IUD in Korea is seeming pretty good compared to Implanon, and I'm not sure how I feel about constantly bleeding....  Does your period get really light/non existent with an IUD? And is it very painful or dangerous? I definitely don't want to be in a lot of pain, but more importantly, I don't want any long term horrible effects like getting stabbed by it. -_-

I will do some more research and see what is best for me. ^_^

Offline writerly

• Adventurer
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »
I've heard you can get the morning-after pill from the pharmacies here (no doctor's note required). Does anyone know the Korean name for the pill? Thanks!

Offline Suz-goose

• Super Waygook
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »
I know it's different for everyone, but hear my Implanon story. I got it put in for free by the NHS as the other pill I was on was causing problems as I had been on it too long. I bled for 10 months straight! 10! I asked to be taken off it repeatedly and they just said stick with it and it will stop. In the end I developed anemia and they agreed to take it out. It was hell for almost a year. If you do go ahead with it be prepared to have to pay to get it out yourself, as a period for that long is no laughing matter. It wasn't just the bleeding either I had the lovely whole period package of mood swings, cramp, acne, bloating etc. Implanon pretty much cost me my then relationship too, so talk it over with your partner. Oh the bad memories   :sad:

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
Hi ladies,
So Mercilon was a no go for me, so was yaz/yasmin,that was actually scary. What other oral contraceptives are available here ? Thanks in advance!

Offline alecia_love

• Adventurer
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
I've been using Minulet for the last 2+ years with no problems.  I've got it in multiple cities in Korea as well.  I think it's an Irish pill, but I could be wrong.

Offline Suz-goose

• Super Waygook
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »

Or you could try this foolproof method, should be easy considering your job  :wink:

Offline peachkitten

• Veteran
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »

Or you could try this foolproof method, should be easy considering your job  :wink:

Haha so true! Or just watch an episode of Maury.

Offline gabbyh0506

• Waygookin
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
I've heard you can get the morning-after pill from the pharmacies here (no doctor's note required). Does anyone know the Korean name for the pill? Thanks!

That's actually not true - the morning after pill requires a prescription, while the birth control pill (specifically Mercilon) is available OTC - it's backwards, I know, but that's Korea! The morning after pill used here in Korea is called Postinor-1 - you take it once within the 72 hour window. When I got it from the doctor here, I just translated "emergency contraception" in Google Translate, and he got the point. However, he did try to give me a lecture in very broken English about using condoms...cue massive eye-roll.  :laugh:

Offline writerly

• Adventurer
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »

That's actually not true - the morning after pill requires a prescription, while the birth control pill (specifically Mercilon) is available OTC - it's backwards, I know, but that's Korea! The morning after pill used here in Korea is called Postinor-1 - you take it once within the 72 hour window. When I got it from the doctor here, I just translated "emergency contraception" in Google Translate, and he got the point. However, he did try to give me a lecture in very broken English about using condoms...cue massive eye-roll.  :laugh:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I remembered wrong. Thanks for the info! I don't like the potential lecture, but ah well. I'll go to a clinic I don't visit regularly and hope for the best. Thanks!

Offline gabbyh0506

• Waygookin
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I remembered wrong. Thanks for the info! I don't like the potential lecture, but ah well. I'll go to a clinic I don't visit regularly and hope for the best. Thanks!

No problem! I wish the morning after pill were OTC here, but alas. Good luck!!  :smiley:

Offline Jotofpam

• Newgookin
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
Peachkitten,

As a long time lurker on these boards, I signed up specifically to advise you, and anyone else who is considering it, NOT to get Implanon.

I got an Implanon implant about 6 years ago, after doing considerable research into birth control. The doctor raved about how wonderful it was, and for the first 6 months or so, I had no problems at all. I had a period every 90 days, which I was fine with.

However, after 6 months, my weight started to balloon, I run and go to the gym regularly, but in 9 months my weight went from 118lbs to 230lbs.

That wasn't the worst part. I also developed really dark, coarse facial hair, possibly the most devastating thing that can happen to a woman.  It took quite a while before I linked this to the implant.

After having it removed, within 6 months I had lost the excess weight, but the facial hair remained, and I spent a large amount of money having it (painfully) removed by laser.

Two of my friends also had the ballooning weight gain, and one, who was dark haired like me, also suffered bad facial hair, but not to the extent I did. My fair haired friend did not have any such problems.

When I went back to the doctor, she told me that they were actually reasonably common side effects from Implanon.

I would not recommend it as a form of contraception to anyone.

Offline janet1992

• Super Waygook
Birth Control Pills in Korea- How do I go about this?
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
I am married but my husband won't join me until next year. However I will need birth control pills at least a month earlier before he arrives. Usually I don't take them when we are apart and I was told I would be able to get pills from Korea so I came with a small amount.

How do I go about getting birth control pills in Korea? Are they prescription based? Are there any English speaking doctors in Seoul that people can recommend? I am not sure I would feel comfortable bringing my co-teacher along as she is much older...

Usually I take Tri Cyclen Lo...anyone heard of that in Korea? Although  I am pretty sure I could take another brand without huge issues...

Please help! Thanks

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
Re: Birth Control Pills in Korea- How do I go about this?
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
There's already a long thread about this. Use google with site:waygook.org and also "birth control"

Either way, a lot of are available over the counter without a prescription. As for type, doing some more googling will help or that thread.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline mfriend12

• Waygookin
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
I go to Medi Flower (http://www.mediflower.co.kr/eng/sub_010101.html)

Really really nice English speaking OB/GYN and prenatal clinic. Highly recommended. As for pills, some brands are also available over the counter at pharmacies.

Offline gabbyh0506

• Waygookin
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
Hopefully you found the other thread, but if not, here's some info:

- You can get certain brands OTC in Korea, and Mercilon seems to be the most popular OTC brand. There are some others, but Mercilon is the OTC one I and my other friends here have used.

- However, if you go to a gyno, they will more than likely want to put you on Yaz. Or Yazmin. Or some other Bayer birth control pill. I personally had a terrible experience with Yaz, but all the gynos I've been to here don't seem to be aware of other options - seriously. I asked for Ortho-Tri-Cyclen and others, especially since Yaz has so many lawsuits against it in the States, but the doctors here seem to be unaware about the myriad hormonal birth control options, which is incredibly frustrating. I was unable to get any prescription pills except those made by Bayer (which makes me wonder if all the gynos have been bought?). Even though Korea is economically in the First World, women's health is still not up to par (or at least up to what you might be used to in your home country), especially depending on where you live.

- Just for your information, because I didn't know this without research, but emergency birth control is prescription only in Korea. I always get a Rx for it when I visit my gyno, just in case, because it super sucks to need it on a weekend when a lot of clinics are closed or have shortened hours.

I've had friends who've stocked up on their preferred birth control pills in other countries while on vacation because of the somewhat limited options here. I hope you have luck finding what you need, though!  :smiley:

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2013, 05:45:25 PM »
Merged topics, thanks ProbablyLauren for helping out. There's definitely info about Tri Cyclen Lo stuff in this thread.

Offline expatinkorea

• Adventurer
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
So I am on the generic version of Seasonique right now. It comes in 3 month packs, so I only have a period every three months. It is by far the only birth control that has truly worked best with me. I've skimmed the thread and haven't seen anything about it, but forgive me if I've missed it. I would really like to be able to get it over here if I can. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a version of this?