August 20, 2018, 10:13:03 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread  (Read 93984 times)

Offline JamericanTeacher

• Super Waygook
Re: Need English Speaking GYNO in Yeongtong, SUWON...Any recs?
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:44 AM »
OK, maybe you ladies are right. I'll make the trip.  And whats this?  Dr. Song does lipo and diet plans?  Thats a one stop shop.  Just what I need for my lifelong battle against the bulge.  Though I'm slowly learning to embrace my rolls and extra stomachs.  LMAO!!!

Offline ausannette

• Explorer
Re: Birth Control ?'s / English Speaking Gyno...
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
Thanks to this blog post: (http://amandankorea.tumblr.com/post/4155311750/ladydoctor) I found a hospital in Daegu that administers Implanon. The cost is almost 400,000 won (for a removal and replacement, closer to 300,000 for just the implant) and if you call 053-766-7073 you can speak to someone with perfect English who is really friendly and can answer any questions you may have. Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:02:53 AM by ausannette »

Offline Nelene

• Waygookin
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2011, 09:59:13 AM »
Wow thanks girls...this really hopes alot!  And most of the pharmacists are really helpfull...I once took a note to them that I translated myself using the internet and they checked the internet themselves just to make sure and I got exactly what I needed!

Offline happySuwon

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
about Dr.Sung .

I would not recommend her,good English and foreigner friendly,BUT awful at explaining and being helpful when diagnosed with something. Also, very pushy in terms of selling "products" and "tests"!!! ARGH!

Offline didi

• Explorer
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »
The Korea birth control pills are over-the-counter at the pharmacy.  I didn't realize this until after I had been here a year and had been paying a doctor (obviously a dishonest doctor) to write me a prescription every two months for over-the-counter pills.  I don't go to that doctor anymore. 

Offline jazzd

• Waygookin
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
Thanks for all the information ladies!   :) It was very helpful and I needed it since I am running out of bc pills that I brought with me from the states!

Offline Chetts

• Explorer
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
It's so weird that you posted this - let me share my story on this issue

When i first arrived about 3 months ago I went straight ahead with the task of finding a doctor that had and could administer my birth control injection. I had the prescription from back home and the leaflet from the injection to show him. the doctor (gyneacologist) said he had it and could give it to me when i needed it 2 months later which is now.

I went there yesterday and he had it all wrong, the injection he wanted to administer causes has the opposite effect to be being a contraceptive whoa! not! and it causes menstruation, double whoa!!
he also says that what i need is not available in my city Gumi but I am going to try another womens clinic. Also I wonder what my options are in getting the injection shipped here - not sure.

So it's weird that u posted this yesterday as I also got into this dilemma.

Offline waygooklover

• Newgookin
To cut a long story short, I'm having some problems 'down there' and need to see a lady doctor / gyno that speaks good english and can help me with my problem. (discomfort during / after sex- I've had it for quite a while). There isn't anybody who can help me in my town.

I live in Gangwon-Do but can go to either Seoul or somewhere in Gangwon for a Saturday. Can anybody help me?

I am to embarrassed to reveal my true identity for fear of other teachers / friends finding out about my problems! I hope you understand my predicament.

Any help / suggestions / recomendations would be enormously appreciated. This is a last resort in desperation as I know I now need to see a doctor, but I don't know anybody that can help me!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
about Dr.Sung .

I would not recommend her,good English and foreigner friendly,BUT awful at explaining and being helpful when diagnosed with something. Also, very pushy in terms of selling "products" and "tests"!!! ARGH!

I second this. I went there last Wednesday because you can get Nuvaring through her (I used to use the patch, but alas, I don't think it's available here). I am 37 and her receptionist/nurse tried to push the Gardasil vaccine on me...wha?? ??? ???
I told her, I don't qualify and this part I love the best: she points to the paper that says women UP TO age 45 qualify and then she crosses it out and says women up to 55 qualify...LOL. Are we stupid??? I don't know about other western countries but in the US we have heavy pharmaceutical advertising and information at our fingertips, I know what meds are for what use and who can take them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 11:13:49 AM by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline ccwilki1

• Waygookin
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Do they have pills that you can take for birth control in the US? if so, how much does it cost and where can you get it?

Offline pez

• Fanatical Supporter!
  • Veteran
English Speaking Gyno / OBGYN Information (Yearly visit/check ups)
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
I wanted to get a regular checkup/pap here in Korea (since I'd been here awhile) and after calling around to all the places suggested here, on Dave's, and through Couchsurfing, this is what I found out.

I learned a lot- so if you're thinking about going to the Gyno/OBGYN for a pap or anything, then this info might be helpful...

Yonsei Hospital has notoriously high prices, and the quality of care is spotty- some have great experiences, others are frustrated and feel like their being overcharged, sold things etc. I could not get through when I tried to call their help line.

Seoul National Hospital- Great reviews from people who went, but according to the help line you have to have a doctor referral to go there. The visit costs 20,000 won, the pap 50,000 won. My friend who went here said they were not careful at all with patient privacy, and wanted they tried to leave the door open to a hallway during her exam (she made them close it and they agreed)

Hanyang Univeristy Hospital- Only a few reviews, but I called because it's close to me.  Similar prices as Seoul National, except they kept saying something about some extra fee, that they don't know how much it would be (I guess its case-by-case?)  They said the whole visit would be less than 100,000 won.

Dr. Sung's Clinic in Itaewon- lots of people go there, but lots of people have complained that she tries to sell you stuff and says you need to have procedures (costly and painful) done that aren't necessary.  A personal friend had a bad experience with her, another friend recommended her, but when I told her about my friends experience she said she had to get a second opinion when diagnosed with something there, and decided not to have the procedure that Dr.Sung was selling done. Why she would recommend the doctor to me after that, I don't know... Cost was 20,000 for the visit and 50,000 for the pap.

Fiona Clinic (info in this thread, there is an attachment with directions/a phone number)
The one I decided to go to. The doctor speaks excellent English but her reception ladies don't. Call and give your phone number and have the doctor call back.   The doctor was professional and only did the tests that i requested.  The whole visit, pap included, was only 26,000 won. I told her I wanted what they do in the US, and no more, and she respected that.

Here in Korea they like to do a sonogram of your ovaries/uterus, I guess to earn money.  I didn't do it because I am not having problems, and if they find a cyst or something it will just make me worry. I asked a gyno-friend in the US and she said its by no means standard or necessary.  I didn't do it.

Also, the "standard" pap smear they do is the 50,000 won one. But, that one is more in depth or something than the "normal" one, like we use in the US.  So, if you ask for the less in-depth one, it comes out a lot cheaper.

She also takes a picture of your cervix, and shows it to you. Really interesting. I have cervical erosion (have for a long time) so it was interesting to see what it looks like.  There are photos of "normal" cervix's so you can see how yours looks compared to the others.

If you are over 30 years old KOREAN AGE, you can get a FREE (or nearly free) gyno doctors visit and pap smear, once every 2 years. I'm not 30 yet, but supposedly to do it you have to get some letter or something, you can call the medical helpline to find out.  But, it only pays for the "basic' pap smear, like the one in the US, so the 26,000 won visit like I got.

The visit here is a little different- you don't take off all your clothing, just from the bottom down, they don't check your breasts, and the whole visit is really fast, like under 10 min. She didn't ask anything about my history, my birth control options, vitamins i am taking, or any of those "standard" questions I am used to. She just took a pic of my cervix, did the pap smear, checked my ovaries (like they do at home) and I was finished. 

If anyone has had experiences at the other gynos here, I'd be curious to hear them... if it was the same as my visit or not.

Offline sweet_potato

• Super Waygook
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 05:42:19 PM »
In Ulsan, there's a "women hospital" and I went there. I would recommend to any of you to go to a "woman" place if you see one around, rather than going to the major hospitals. If you go on the weekends, hospitals are closed and you therefore have to pay extra to use "emergency doctors". The way it works is that you need to make an appointment to see a doctor. They're usually open M-F 8-4 or something like that. Anyway, naver search the hospitals, and then try to see how much google translate can help you get information you want.
In any case, I did a pap and a check-up. It didn't take too long and my bill was less than 20,000W. They called me a week later to tell me the pap results.

Birth control pills are available at any pharmacy. The brand a lot of foreigners use is an Irish brand called Mercilon. You'll have to say "Muh-shi-lon". It's about 7,000W a pack. My friend also told me that Canesten is available without a prescription. I understand that they have a cream and capsule kind available. You just have to ask for it. And this is a totally personal sidenote- but in my experience, women pharmacists are far more respectful toward a foreign girl buying birthcontrol, the men just kind of make a face at you and want you to get out asap. Just fyi.

Offline alybee

• Explorer
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
You can get the Nuvaring in Seoul! I went to Dr. Song's clinic in Hannam-Dong .They speak english.  You can just walk in and ask for a prescription for the nuvaring. It cost 15,000 won. There is a pharmacy nearby that will fill the prescription. It was 55,000 won for 3 months of rings!

Offline RatnaMH

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »
I never had any problems with doctor song in Seoul. Granted I waived the sonogram because it was the size of a light saber.

She's the go to doctor for the US military and the Embassy workers.

She never pushed anything on me and mailed me my perscription because I live two hours away. She is expensive though.

And you have to understand that she is still a KOREAN doctor.

Though, I don't understand why she told you that the vaccine was available for 55 years of age...

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
I never had any problems with doctor song in Seoul. Granted I waived the sonogram because it was the size of a light saber.

She's the go to doctor for the US military and the Embassy workers.

She never pushed anything on me and mailed me my perscription because I live two hours away. She is expensive though.

And you have to understand that she is still a KOREAN doctor.

Though, I don't understand why she told you that the vaccine was available for 55 years of age...
I don't know why her receptionist/nurse, kept trying to push it on me, and I don't know if Dr. Sung herself would've (but I wouldn't be surprised) but it was a huge turn off. I didn't see the doctor because all I wanted was the prescription. Unfortunately, since I know no other doctor in Seoul who can give me the prescription, I will have to keep going there for at least that.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline RatnaMH

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
I spoke to dr.sung myself and one of the refreshing things she actually told me about a certain cosmetic procedure was that it wouldn't produce the dramatic results I was looking for. In other words she was honest with me and didn't push me when I declined it and was upfront about the price too.

She was also the one who did my pap and waived the light saber treatment for me.

The receptionist might have been a bit gung ho, idk.

Offline LiPo

• Veteran
Re: Birth Control ?'s
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
Does anyone know if it's okay to send a box of Mercilon to the states?  Are there any laws against mailing these overseas?  I definitely don''t want to break any laws.

Offline DisplayName001

• Adventurer
Lady Talk: Birth Control.
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
Has anyone been using a good birth control in Korea? I'm on the market for new birth control because the kind I brought from the
states is gone. I was using Ortho-Tri Cyclen low. It's a low hormone daily pill.  If you have one your recommend please tell me the
name brand & where you got it!! Thanks  :D

Offline lillellis

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
Hey, ladies!

I appreciate someone starting this thread. I was also on Ortho Tri cyclen lo for a looooooong time. Now I'm trying to decide between Triquilar and Mercilon. Mercilon is a lower-dosage, but Triquilar uses similar color-coded pills with varying hormone levels. Has anyone tried both of them? Thoughts/advice?

Also I will be traveling to a not-so-clean country next week, so the easier one to transition to (minimal bleeding, side effects, etc.) would be better. Thanks!!!

Offline PeachCherryBlsm

• Explorer
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
where is the Fiona Clinic contact information????