October 18, 2018, 06:05:53 AM

Author Topic: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread  (Read 94965 times)

mteacher

Re: Nuva-ring/Implanon/English-speaking gyno?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »
it sounds like you aren't looking for pills, but you don't need a perscription for those in korea, just walk into a pharmacy and ask for them-a month is only 6-7,000 won.

Are you sure about that?  I had to get a prescription for Yasmin and paid 35000 for a three month pack.

YASMIN IN KOREA?!  Really??????   I buy 6months at a time back home and have it airmailed!  It's a HUGE inconvenience!!  Where did you get it?  is it the same as you used back home?  and did you need a prescription? of appointment or anything?

Offline Janitor

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Expert Waygook
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
I just made a post on the wanderlust diary but I thought that I would post it here as well:

My girlfriend just bought some before we went on vacation. The Korean word for "the pill" is PEE-IM-YAK.  She got a one month supply for around 9,000 won. I can't remember the brand but for those looking for certain brands keep in mind that Korean pharmacies deal with different brands and suppliers for the same type of medicine. Tylenol for example is universal but ibuprofen comes in many different brands and styles.

I hope this helps. She basically just asked and they gave it to her, then stared at me for a while.

Offline nicki77

• Waygookin
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
I know this thread seems to be about the pill mostly, but if you're like me and a little tired of pumping hormones into your body, I'd highly recommend a copper IUD. I just got one a couple weeks ago. I did my research beforehand: the doctor I went to didn't speak much English but I am thankful I already knew what to expect. (Re: severe pain at first...) It was 100,000 won, but if you spread that out over the 5 years it is effective for, it's not a bad deal.

Offline sheedi

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 12:25:52 PM »
it sounds like you aren't looking for pills, but you don't need a perscription for those in korea, just walk into a pharmacy and ask for them-a month is only 6-7,000 won.

Are you sure about that?  I had to get a prescription for Yasmin and paid 35000 for a three month pack.

YASMIN IN KOREA?!  Really??????   I buy 6months at a time back home and have it airmailed!  It's a HUGE inconvenience!!  Where did you get it?  is it the same as you used back home?  and did you need a prescription? of appointment or anything?

You have get a perscription. I just ask my co to say I would like a ___ (how many months supply) and he just wrote it for me. I didn't need to get examined bc I said was examined in America not too long ago. It cost about 25,000 not too bad.

Offline grosje

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Whether or not you need a prescription is dependent upon which brand of pill you want to buy. Some are only available by prescription and are more expensive. I took Tri-cyclen from back home for my first year here, but decided to change 2 years ago. I had my friend back home who is a pharmacist compare mine to the brands available here and then chose to switch to the one she recommended me. I now take Mercilon. It can be purchased without a prescription and I pay 6400/pk at my local Emart Pharmacy. When you ask for it say "Mer Shil lon" and they will know what you are talking about.

Offline englishenglisheeteecha

• Newgookin
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:01 AM »
I did the same (got Yasmin) the first time and it was 50,000. Then a friend told me I could get the from a chemist for 7-9,000 per month. Much easier too! The brand is mercilon and doesn't come with sugar pills, it's a Schering-Plough product.

Is Mercilon the same kind of pill as Yasmin because before coming here, I took Yasmin to help with my skin. I stopped taking it and my skin has got worse and I am wanting to go back on it. Will Mercilon help or is it purely just birth control?

Offline lizteacher10

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
Mercilon is a similar pill, but its third generation. This means it is not directly estrogen, some other chemical is used as a estrogen like hormone. Estrogen is probably responsible for your ache reduction. I have heard third generation pills can cause many more problems. I would pay for the yaz. And if you have a boyfriend who is enjoying the effects of birthcontrol, I would make him pay half.

Offline jouelle

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
I know this thread seems to be about the pill mostly, but if you're like me and a little tired of pumping hormones into your body, I'd highly recommend a copper IUD. I just got one a couple weeks ago. I did my research beforehand: the doctor I went to didn't speak much English but I am thankful I already knew what to expect. (Re: severe pain at first...) It was 100,000 won, but if you spread that out over the 5 years it is effective for, it's not a bad deal.

Where did you get this done? Is there a website I could visit or a number to call? That price is about a 1/4 of what it will cost at home.

Offline sheedi

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
Mercilon is a similar pill, but its third generation. This means it is not directly estrogen, some other chemical is used as a estrogen like hormone. Estrogen is probably responsible for your ache reduction. I have heard third generation pills can cause many more problems. I would pay for the yaz. And if you have a boyfriend who is enjoying the effects of birthcontrol, I would make him pay half.

I agree with Lizteacher

If you look at the dosage, it's not exactly the same, that's why I haven't used mercilon. I take yasmine for medical reasons. Perhaps the levels in Yasmine is good for you.
 Yasmine(drospirenone 3 mg /ethinyl estradiol 0.03 mg)
Mercilone(0.15 mg and 0.02 mg)

Offline zeenat

• Waygookin
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

Where did you get this done? Is there a website I could visit or a number to call? That price is about a 1/4 of what it will cost at home.

if you get the implanon just be careful which  one you get - i had mine from the UK and apparently its the old one where you cant tell if it is actually releasing the hormones. the new one - you can get tested after insertion.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:01:56 AM by zeenat »

Offline shellyian

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
I take yasmin as well and it is more expensive than the korean pill but well worth it. My doctor is in Hannam, close to Itaewon. Her name is Dr. Sung. She as well as  all the office staff speak english. Her number is 02-790-0802 or 3.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
Has anyone successfully procured Ortho-evra here?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:59:59 PM by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline nball

• Waygookin
Birth Control?
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Ladies,

I am thinking of getting birth control pills here and have some questions.

1. Do I need to get a prescription? I read in another post that we can just go to the pharmacy. Is this true?
2. Can you recommend a good brand? I've never used birth control before so something with the least amount of side effects..low dose.
3. How expensive is it?

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Birth Control ?'s / English Speaking Gyno...
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »
Okay, I've combined your question with another like thread.  It should offer you many answers.  Please make sure to use the search function next time before starting a new thread.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Offline sheedi

• Veteran
Re: Birth Control?
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Ladies,

I am thinking of getting birth control pills here and have some questions.

1. Do I need to get a prescription? I read in another post that we can just go to the pharmacy. Is this true?
2. Can you recommend a good brand? I've never used birth control before so something with the least amount of side effects..low dose.
3. How expensive is it?
]

If you have never used birth control, I would go suggest you go to a gyno and have them recommend the best birth control for your body. Something to do with hormone levels I  think.

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:26 AM »
I think you should just head to the pharmacy and ask for mercilon. It's so easy! If I can do it, then anyone can. Mercilon is the easiest to get because you don't need a presciption. You can get Yasmin or other brands but you'll have to get a presciption and go to the gyno and....ugh. Hassle.

if you get the implanon just be careful which  one you get - i had mine from the UK and apparently its the old one where you cant tell if it is actually releasing the hormones. the new one - you can get tested after insertion.

I also have the IUD which is fantastic. If you get the copper one with no hormones (Paraguard) then it should be good for 10 years. If you get Mirena, the IUD which releases a small amount of hormones, then it will last for 5 years. I actually got my IUD from my local health department in the states before I came to Korea. Cost? Free.  ;D
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline JamericanTeacher

• Super Waygook
Need English Speaking GYNO in Yeongtong, SUWON...Any recs?
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
I'm due for a check-up and am trying to avoid going all the way to Seoul.  Any GYNs in Suwon?  Preferably in or near Yeongtong-dong?  Thanks in advance!   ;D

Offline peasgoodnonsuch

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
I have heard rave reviews of a Dr. Sung in Hannam, but I've never been myself. The info was posted by someone else here:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,4124.0.html

Offline kellym

• Adventurer
Re: Need English Speaking GYNO in Yeongtong, SUWON...Any recs?
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
so i've been going to a gyno in Hannam for about a  year now and i love her. it's Dr. Sung's Clinic and you can find it very easily searching on google. the entire staff speaks english and really the only people that go there are expats. its always packed on a saturday and you can just walk in, but i would suggest an appt since saturday is their busiest.

currently i live in bundang and there is a bus straight from here to Hannam down the street from her office. its also a really nice area so you could get brunch/lunch/cupcakes after your appt if you wanted.

here's the link to her website for more info:
http://drsungsclinic.com/
~ enjoy ~ *^^* ~

Offline suigeneris

• Adventurer
Re: Need English Speaking GYNO in Yeongtong, SUWON...Any recs?
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
Go to Seoul.  Unless you have a UTI or something else that's urgent, it's worth the trip. 

I don't totally trust the Hanam Clinic because I don't think that gynos should do lipo, give botox and run weight loss clinics. That being said, it's been my only experience with a gyno in Korea that doesn't make me shudder.