August 22, 2018, 05:18:53 AM

Author Topic: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread  (Read 94012 times)

Offline lmcewen

• Adventurer
Re: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
Not sure if this clinic has been posted about before, but I'm currently trying to find a new OB/GYN closer to my home and stumbled across the Yeon & Nature website (yeonandnature.com). Does anyone have any experience with this clinic?

Website looks nice enough, supposedly they have all-female English-speaking staff, and there are some nice comments on their Facebook page (from women who've had babies with them, though, not from regular gyno patients).

Offline reklaw

• Newgookin
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:35 PM »
I went to Yeon & Nature (yeonandnature.com) recently with my wife for a first visit during her pregnancy. Our experience was not great. The first doctor didn't introduce herself or attempt to explain anything in English to me, and instead spoke to my wife the entire time in Korean. Something seemingly simple, like taking her blood sample did not go smoothly at all either.

There were many foreigners there, and they did seem very busy. I want to like this place, so we may give it another try soon.

I don't have much experience here in Korea with visiting hospitals or clinics. But, it seems a lack of chit chat or friendly conversation is typical.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »
Anyone on Mercilon get headaches? I am getting headaches almost every day, and they started a couple weeks after I started the pills. (I've been taking them for 7 months)

I don't find if gives me headaches but it makes me spot. Maybe talk to your lady doctor about switching?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:20 AM »
Hello ladies. I have been on the pill and since being in Korea the pill has always made me spot. 2 doctors have told me I should go off the pill, as I've been on it too long, and try another method of contraception. The one doctor recommended Mirena? But I heard you spot so much with that too.  Its cheaper here than it is back home.  I also heard it hurts like a bitch to go in. The doctor asked me how my pain tolerance is... What is your experience using IUDs? The convenience of it intrigues me but the risks scare me.... My mom also said she birthed it out....but this was back when she was a teenager a long time ago...

Offline kjritchhart

• Veteran
  • loving life
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2015, 09:20:24 AM »
Hello ladies. I have been on the pill and since being in Korea the pill has always made me spot. 2 doctors have told me I should go off the pill, as I've been on it too long, and try another method of contraception. The one doctor recommended Mirena? But I heard you spot so much with that too.  Its cheaper here than it is back home.  I also heard it hurts like a bitch to go in. The doctor asked me how my pain tolerance is... What is your experience using IUDs? The convenience of it intrigues me but the risks scare me.... My mom also said she birthed it out....but this was back when she was a teenager a long time ago...

Mirena is definitely an option.  You only really spot for the first month or so but after you should have regular periods.  It is way cheaper here than back home and doctors are more willing to put it in if you have never had a baby before (where-as in America it is pretty much only an option if you have had a child).  It hurts like a bitch and there can be some cramping but it goes away in about a week. 

If you are serious about it, I would do more research on it and see which IUD is right for you because they have non-hormonal types and hormonal types.  You need to figure out what you want and what you will need.  Obviously there are some risks but that is the case with most birthcontrol methods.

Basically, do more research to see if it is right for you but I recommend it if you can deal with the initial discomfort.

Offline carolynlou12

• Adventurer
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »

Mirena is definitely an option.  You only really spot for the first month or so but after you should have regular periods.  It is way cheaper here than back home and doctors are more willing to put it in if you have never had a baby before (where-as in America it is pretty much only an option if you have had a child).  It hurts like a bitch and there can be some cramping but it goes away in about a week. 

If you are serious about it, I would do more research on it and see which IUD is right for you because they have non-hormonal types and hormonal types.  You need to figure out what you want and what you will need.  Obviously there are some risks but that is the case with most birthcontrol methods.

Basically, do more research to see if it is right for you but I recommend it if you can deal with the initial discomfort.

I'm going to piggyback on this one with another question. I had a Mirena placed back in Canada, and after 6 months of cramps and constant spotting, I had it removed. Found out the doctor had placed it too low. Ugh.

My question though. Seeing as I have tried it before, and it didn't work out, do you think I should try an IUD again? Or just steer completely clear and stick to my Nuvaring (need to find a doctor to prescribe that here in Korea, if that's the case)

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

This is something that one of the doctors mentioned but that they would do it if I wanted. They said because "your uterus is small now". ALSO they gave me a choice between a lady and a man but emphasized that the man is really good at putting it in.....UGH no way. Did you have one? Is there anything I can take before the procedure should I choose to do it?

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »

What clinic was this at?  I have the Mirena and will be nearing my time to switch it out next year.  Personally I'd go with the guy hands-down if he knows what he's doing and is good with insertion--that can really make or break and IUD for you.

This is something that one of the doctors mentioned but that they would do it if I wanted. They said because "your uterus is small now". ALSO they gave me a choice between a lady and a man but emphasized that the man is really good at putting it in.....UGH no way. Did you have one? Is there anything I can take before the procedure should I choose to do it?

Edit: Don't know where my original comment went, wtf?

Anyway, I had the Mirena put in place in the USA and will need to get mine switched soon as well.  I've never had kids.  I spoke with my American OBGYN about it and she said that, initially, the strings used in the first series of Mirena were twisted like rope, so bacteria could get into the little crevices and grow.  This bacterial infection is what led to infertility in some women after it was treated.  Now, the Mirena uses synthetic mono-filament fibers so this is no longer an issue. 

I had trouble using the pill and the hormones just never sat right with me.  The Mirena has been fantastic.  I rarely have a period and when I do, it's just light spotting.  It's also considerably more effective than the pill, cheaper, longer-lasting, healthier for your body, and best of all, you don't have to think about it!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:10:00 PM by nomadicmadda »

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

I have the Mirena IUD (had it placed in the States) & I think it's due to be taken out next year. I was just recently thinking about having to find someone here to take it out, but then afterwards having to deal with possibly getting new birth control or the dreaded monthly circus periods & acne again. UGH. I'm afraid to see what my body will do after being hogtied for 5 years.

I won't be getting the Mirena again because of the constant spotting I've had to deal with. Everyone is different though, so you won't know until you try it & see if it works for you (and if it will even stay in). My Mirena almost made the thought of a regular monthly period seem worthwhile. Almost.

Yes, it hurt like hell going in, but it only took a day or two for my cramping to stop. For me, once my doctor left my cervix alone, I only had slight cramping. My doctor did warn me that the first time having your cervix cracked open is not pleasant, but placing the next Mirena isn't usually as bad. Since I won't be getting another one, I'm hoping it doesn't hurt as bad coming out as it did going in!

Offline carolynlou12

• Adventurer
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2015, 02:17:44 PM »

I have the Mirena IUD (had it placed in the States) & I think it's due to be taken out next year. I was just recently thinking about having to find someone here to take it out, but then afterwards having to deal with possibly getting new birth control or the dreaded monthly circus periods & acne again. UGH. I'm afraid to see what my body will do after being hogtied for 5 years.

I won't be getting the Mirena again because of the constant spotting I've had to deal with. Everyone is different though, so you won't know until you try it & see if it works for you (and if it will even stay in). My Mirena almost made the thought of a regular monthly period seem worthwhile. Almost.

Yes, it hurt like hell going in, but it only took a day or two for my cramping to stop. For me, once my doctor left my cervix alone, I only had slight cramping. My doctor did warn me that the first time having your cervix cracked open is not pleasant, but placing the next Mirena isn't usually as bad. Since I won't be getting another one, I'm hoping it doesn't hurt as bad coming out as it did going in!

It will be so much better coming out! I was crying in pain when I went to the doctor to get mine out (mine was placed incorrectly from the get go. Oh my god the cramps). She removed it, and I'm not being dramatic when I say I started crying from happiness pretty much right away. No pain whatsoever after it's pulled out!! :)

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

It will be so much better coming out! I was crying in pain when I went to the doctor to get mine out (mine was placed incorrectly from the get go. Oh my god the cramps). She removed it, and I'm not being dramatic when I say I started crying from happiness pretty much right away. No pain whatsoever after it's pulled out!! :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! One thing though, they cut the strings so short that you can't see them from the outside. At my annual checkup, they weren't even sure that it was still in there! I'm like, yeah, I think I would've noticed something like that exiting my body! I had to have an ultrasound so they could be sure. So there may be some fishing involved. :rolleyes:

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Not sure if this is the place for this question but I am curious....how much weight do you gain during your period? I don't gain a lot of pounds but I get SO puffy....more so since I went off the pill. Curious is to how other peoples period treat them...

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2015, 11:36:40 AM »

I'm confused, why do they say it stays in better if you've had children before? Doesn't that mean your cervix is open more and it could fall out? Your cervix is tighter before having a baby..

Maybe after having a baby your uterus is stretched a little and there might be less discomfort?

Offline kjritchhart

• Veteran
  • loving life
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »
Discomfort while inserting it right? Once it's in, I shouldn't feel it right?

If the IUD is placed correctly, you shouldn't feel it (shouldn't being the key word here; it needs to be put in correctly).  It does hurt when putting it in though because they have to open your cervix to place it in your uterus, which causes pain. 

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

I'm confused, why do they say it stays in better if you've had children before? Doesn't that mean your cervix is open more and it could fall out? Your cervix is tighter before having a baby..

I remember my doctor breaking it all down for me when she explained the procedure. She made sure I understood that there was a greater chance of the IUD being expelled since I hadn't had any children. She also explained that that is the main reason why some doctors are reluctant to try & place IUDs in women before their 1st pregnancy.

Your uterus is smaller & tighter before having a baby, which means that there is less space in there. So the IUD is more likely to be expelled from your uterus when you haven't had any kids to stretch it out a bit.

And yes, you shouldn't feel it once it's in properly. Good luck with the spotting issues. I hope it doesn't happen to you. It's the main thing I can't wait to be free of once it's taken out!!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:24:13 PM by twinfish101 »

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

I remember my doctor breaking it all down for me when she explained the procedure. She made sure I understood that there was a greater chance of the IUD being expelled since I hadn't had any children. She also explained that that is the main reason why some doctors are reluctant to try & place IUDs in women before their 1st pregnancy.

Your cervix is smaller & tighter before having a baby, which means that there is less space in there. So the IUD is more likely to be expelled from your cervix when you haven't had any kids to stretch it out a bit.

And yes, you shouldn't feel it once it's in properly. Good luck with the spotting issues. I hope it doesn't happen to you. It's the main thing I can't wait to be free of once it's taken out!!  ;D

Anyway, I had the Mirena put in place in the USA and will need to get mine switched soon as well.  I've never had kids.  I spoke with my American OBGYN about it and she said that, initially, the strings used in the first series of Mirena were twisted like rope, so bacteria could get into the little crevices and grow.  This bacterial infection is what led to infertility in some women after it was treated.  Now, the Mirena uses synthetic mono-filament fibers so this is no longer an issue. 

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Not sure if this is the place for this question but I am curious....how much weight do you gain during your period? I don't gain a lot of pounds but I get SO puffy....more so since I went off the pill. Curious is to how other peoples period treat them...

It's been almost 5 years since I've had a regular period, but I have not forgotten my feelings about them. I hate having my period. H-A-T-E!!! The acne, the bloating, the pain, the fatigue, the digestion issues. The works. It was the primary reason that I got an IUD in the first place. Before that I was on Depo, but I gained so much weight on it that I had to let it go. Before that was the pill, but I would forget to take it & it didn't always hold the periods off like I wanted so I moved on.

I don't really gain weight on my period, unless you count all the junk food & sweets I would crave around that time of the month. But my weight would normalize soon after. The bloating was insane, though. Gas too.

Geeeez. What am I gonna do once this IUD comes out?! Guess it's back to the pill, where I will skip the placebo pills like I used to do. Maybe try something else. SMH. Menopause needs to get a move on.  :rolleyes:

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »

Your cervix is smaller & tighter before having a baby, which means that there is less space in there. So the IUD is more likely to be expelled from your cervix when you haven't had any kids to stretch it out a bit.

Wait, the IUD stays IN YOUR CERVIX?? I thought they pushed it through your cervix into your uterus! I need to do more research  :huh:

EDIT: I've just realized that you probably meant to say uterus.

Oh yeah, sorry! I meant uterus! LOL!! I fixed it. My bad!!  :laugh:

Offline calypso_queen

• Adventurer
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »

I gain a few pounds during my period, as well. It's mostly bloating and water retention. I think it's pretty normal. Drink ginger tea, aloe juice, and any other natural anti-inflammatory foods/drinks. Also, decrease your salt in-take. Good luck!

Offline twinfish101

• Waygookin
« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »

It's been almost 5 years since I've had a regular period, but I have not forgotten my feelings about them. I hate having my period. H-A-T-E!!! The acne, the bloating, the pain, the fatigue, the digestion issues. The works. It was the primary reason that I got an IUD in the first place. Before that I was on Depo, but I gained so much weight on it that I had to let it go. Before that was the pill, but I would forget to take it & it didn't always hold the periods off like I wanted so I moved on.

I don't really gain weight on my period, unless you count all the junk food & sweets I would crave around that time of the month. But my weight would normalize soon after. The bloating was insane, though. Gas too.

Geeeez. What am I gonna do once this IUD comes out?! Guess it's back to the pill, where I will skip the placebo pills like I used to do. Maybe try something else. SMH. Menopause needs to get a move on.  :rolleyes:

DEPO is the worst. The WORST. I gained so much weight on it, and I only got the one shot. Do not recommend

Birth control experiences are so subjective! Everyone is different. Sure, me & you gained weight on Depo. I was on it for maybe 6 months & gained a lot of weight. But one of my friends only did one shot, didn't gained a pound, & her period was knocked out for almost a year!! How is that fair?! Haha!