July 19, 2018, 04:35:18 AM

Author Topic: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread  (Read 93214 times)

Offline tmowhat

• Waygookin
Re: Birth Control and OBGYN Thread
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2015, 10:24:49 PM »
Yool has moved to a new location.

율산부인과 in Daum maps should get you there, it's in the same building (or next to) Burger King.

The doctor was horrible. Worst exam experience ever. I don't recommend this place, anyone know of another OBGYN in Wonju?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:26:23 PM by tmowhat »

Offline amya

• Veteran
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
I am not a huge fan of Mercilon. And if you want to get an IUD here, sure it's not covered by insurance, but it may not necessarily be when you go back home if you live in the US. It's a lot cheaper here to get it put in as well. Also you won't have to go through the moral red tape you would in America. (American speaking)

I went to a great place in Icheon called Marina (마리나) Phone is 031-636-0552

I was a walk in; was seen, examined and out within a half hour. I explained to the doctor that I'd been on bc before and that I didn't want to have to keep coming back every month for a prescription so she gave enough for 3 months. Best exam that I've ever had, including back in the states.

Offline ItsMaarrr

• Waygookin
Visits to the OB/GYN (LADIES ONLY PLEASE)
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
Ladies, where do you go to get your routine pap smear? Do you go to a special women's clinic or a regular hospital? I live in Gumi and am considering going to Daegu to get mine done but if I could just go to a regular hospital here in town, that would be great. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Offline chicagoteacher

• Veteran
Re: Visits to the OB/GYN (LADIES ONLY PLEASE)
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »
Check this place out, OP http://daegucompass.com/myDaegu/hyosung-hospital Nothing but good experiences at this place! It's worth it to come to Daegu!
“Mediocrity's like a spot on a shirt—it never comes off.”

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2015, 02:55:09 PM »
Does any one know of  a good FEMALE doctor that operates around the Ilsan/Geumcheon/Kumleung/Paju area, THAT IS OPEN ON SATURDAYS.  My school is real strict on letting me out early and would even go as far as deducted a vacation day from me if I made a request to leave my school before 4:30pm.  PLUS, I REALLY want a FEMALE doctor.  I had a male doctor before at the Geumcheon area clinic and he was VERY RUDE.

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »
My school is real strict on letting me out early and would even go as far as deducted a vacation day from me if I made a request to leave my school before 4:30pm.

They are legally required to allow you a certain amount of time off to do things like go to the bank/ doctor. If it amounts to anything over an 8 hour total, that is when they can deduct a vacation day.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »
My school is real strict on letting me out early and would even go as far as deducted a vacation day from me if I made a request to leave my school before 4:30pm.

They are legally required to allow you a certain amount of time off to do things like go to the bank/ doctor. If it amounts to anything over an 8 hour total, that is when they can deduct a vacation day.

Yep I know that.  And those were used up.  Twice for when I had to go to the bank ( they gave me 2 hour windows for  those.  So that's -4hours) and APPARENTLY they are counting the time I went to immigration WITH MY CO-WORKER (-4hours)  So yep used them ALL UP APPARTENTLY.  My last school didn't give oooddles of cabooles about early outs they just let me be.  Reminising I guess.  Anywho, I need a Saturday clinic.  Any suggestions.  Willing to go as far as Hongdae.  But really I want to find in the Ilsan/Paju area. 

Offline TygerBeat11

• Adventurer
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
Hyosung Hospital in Daegu operates on Saturday and Sunday for foreigners so you can make an appointment on the weekend and it won't interfere with work. :)
Ms. Gu will take good care of you! They are the best!

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2015, 07:42:07 AM »
I know Hot6 or whoever it was has had their post deleted - but I gotta say not everything is a personal attack on your maleness. Perhaps the OP felt uncomfortable asking a male for advice and that is why it is entitled male only. Maybe she is shy and embarrassed about the whole ordeal? Maybe she knows that you, as a male, have literally never had a smear and can't actually comprehend the small things that make the uncomfortableness a little more bearable because you haven't been in that situation.

I'm so sick of stupid ass meninists feeling like they have to be involved in everything. Is it really that big of a deal for women to ask other women questions that don't concern men and not be worried about men feeling left out?

Offline amandaellenr

• Waygookin
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
Ladies, where do you go to get your routine pap smear? Do you go to a special women's clinic or a regular hospital? I live in Gumi and am considering going to Daegu to get mine done but if I could just go to a regular hospital here in town, that would be great. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

There's a good one in Hyeonggok, above the caffe bene. Search the Gumi FB group for "Happy Mom." No need to head to Daegu :)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
I know Hot6 or whoever it was has had their post deleted - but I gotta say not everything is a personal attack on your maleness. Perhaps the OP felt uncomfortable asking a male for advice and that is why it is entitled male only. Maybe she is shy and embarrassed about the whole ordeal? Maybe she knows that you, as a male, have literally never had a smear and can't actually comprehend the small things that make the uncomfortableness a little more bearable because you haven't been in that situation.

I'm so sick of stupid ass meninists feeling like they have to be involved in everything. Is it really that big of a deal for women to ask other women questions that don't concern men and not be worried about men feeling left out?

Amen!  And Amya great suggestion about Incheon.  That's getting a little warmer :-D

Offline amya

• Veteran
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
I am not a huge fan of Mercilon. And if you want to get an IUD here, sure it's not covered by insurance, but it may not necessarily be when you go back home if you live in the US. It's a lot cheaper here to get it put in as well. Also you won't have to go through the moral red tape you would in America. (American speaking)

I went to a great place in Icheon called Marina (마리나) Phone is 031-636-0552

I was a walk in; was seen, examined and out within a half hour. I explained to the doctor that I'd been on bc before and that I didn't want to have to keep coming back every month for a prescription so she gave enough for 3 months. Best exam that I've ever had, including back in the states.

I was about to switch my insurance plan in America back in January to a plan that covered the IUD but then something happened so it fell through. I was just planning on getting it when I return home, but the plan was pretty expensive, around $250 a month. How much is it to get put in here, do you know?

I've had a few friends get them here and both times it was about 500K won in total.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »

I male posting in a thread isn't always trying to project maleness...
I had some useful information, and thought it might help.
People can post where ever they like, so I simply ignored the "women only."

It would make no difference. I could change my gender to "female" and know one would know on this forum, and what... be okay? The way people think sometimes.... :rolleyes:

You are just showing more of your true colors, just like the other "girl."

Good Day.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59:04 AM »

I male posting in a thread isn't always trying to project maleness...
I had some useful information, and thought it might help.
People can post where ever they like, so I simply ignored the "women only."

It would make no difference. I could change my gender to "female" and know one would know on this forum, and what... be okay? The way people think sometimes.... :rolleyes:

You are just showing more of your true colors, just like the other "girl."

Good Day.

??

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »

i actually asked a mod to delete all those posts when i asked for that other thread to be merged with this one so as not to clog up the board. but since you've brought it up again, i'll reiterate what i said there - this board is free for anyone who wants to post in it, if you're not comfortable with that then that's YOUR deal.

excluding guys from posting is just plain dumb. what if someone's wife or girlfriend goes to a good gyno or has had a procedure done somewhere and they have info on that?

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »
Oh please. You were literally going to ask/ talk to a female to ask about her experience because you had no information to provide yourself, just to prove your point. Your whole post was about being excluded from the conversation. Get over it. You don't have experience with going to an OBGYN in Korea. You don't have information to share. If you think someone else can help, direct them to the thread.

Even if you did have information to share, sometimes women literally don't want to talk to men about things dealing with womanhood. It makes them (as in the women) feel awkward and uncomfortable. But lord forbid you want to share what you have to say regardless of how it makes other people feel.  :rolleyes:

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
excluding guys from posting is just plain dumb. what if someone's wife or girlfriend goes to a good gyno or has had a procedure done somewhere and they have info on that?

Then point the wife or girlfriend this way... Like I said, sometimes girls feel awkward discussing their female anatomy and the general maintenance with men. If they only feel comfortable talking to other woman about it, then it is their choice to do so. How is it difficult to comprehend that some women don't want to involve men that have had no personal experience with OBGYNs in their vagina business?

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »

Then point the wife or girlfriend this way... Like I said, sometimes girls feel awkward discussing their female anatomy and the general maintenance with men. If they only feel comfortable talking to other woman about it, then it is their choice to do so. How is it difficult to comprehend that some women don't want to involve men that have had no personal experience with OBGYNs in their vagina business?

Hmm I don't feel comfortable telling people about my vagina, instead of asking people around me, etc... I'll ask on a PUBLIC forum! BRILLIANT!

Then, when I get information from someone, regarding labour law, or recommended clinics, (which is what I was asking) I will FLAME them! All because they have a gender marker on their profile....
 :rolleyes:

Logic.

Anyway, done with this.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline ashe1590

• Super Waygook
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:01 PM »
I am not the OP and I was not asking about labour laws or clinics. I gave her information... you didn't give any information about anything relevant to what she asked that wasn't already said by someone else. You just made snarky comments that only served to show how insecure you are by being left out of something that has NOTHING to do with you as a male.

My point is you don't need to feel so offended by being excluded from a discussion about something that literally only effects women and is a sensitive matter to them. How they choose to deal with it is their personal choice. But you obviously don't give a shit how they feel about it because you just have to give your irrelevant two cents.

Offline smart3plant

• Newgookin
Re: Lady's Section: English Speaking OBGYN ?s
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »
If you need a gyno I highly recommend 'La Mere' Women's Clinic in Singil, Seoul (where line 1 and 5 intersect). I just walked in and they asked me to wait a minute for an English speaking woman who was very friendly and went through the paperwork with me. I waited about 30 mins (since I just walked in) and then saw Dr. Kim Ji Yeon (Dr. 김 지연). Her English was near perfect and she was non-judgemental. The exam was quick and not too uncomfortable. You get changed into a skirt that is provided and then sit in a chair. They pull a small curtain in front of you so you can't see them or whats going on. It was a bit strange but not too bad since Dr. Kim talked to me during the exam. I got a pap smear and std test for $140 (the std test was $100 because I opted for the more-thorough test rather than just testing for the top 5 stds, which would have cost $60). The clinic texted me when my results came in and I made an appointment. When I went back in to see Dr. Kim she gave me a copy of my results in English for my doctor at home. Overall, it was probably my test gyno experience haha.

Name: La Mere // 라 메르 여성병웍
Number: 02-847-1001
Dr. Kim's Schedule: Monday to Friday 9-6 // Sat 9-3
Drections:
Signil on line 1 and 5. Take exit 1 and turn left to walk down the hill. After ~3mins you will come to a T-shaped interestion with a Paris Baguette, Tous Les Jours and Home plus express. Turn right and cross the street. Walk past home plus and go straight for about 5 mins. The clinic is on the right and it is in a black marble building on the 2nd floor.

Just to follow up, I went to La Mere Clinic this weekend and I highly recommend this clinic as well.
The assistant (Yunice) is very welcoming and friendly.  Both Yunice and Dr.Kim speak English with ease, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of communication.
Since I live in the country, they even offer to fax the prescription to your pharmacy so you can fill it if needed.
I went in for an ultrasound and check up, which cost just over W40,000.  The facilities are clean and Dr.Kim talks you through the procedure, which is reassuring.
Although it was far for me to get there, ultimately I thought it was worth it!  Thank you to the original poster for recommending it!

I would just like to add a little more information about La Mere clinic

After seeing these two glowing reports I went ahead and booked myself into this clinic.
The previous posters are totally right - the place is lovely and clean, very welcoming and the level of English is excellent.
However I'm sorry to say I had a very unusual and bad experience with this clinic.

Please bear with me as it is quite an epic saga and probably one of the worst, most stressful times of my life.

Recently I had a second abnormal result from a smear test and spent over two months visiting this clinic having various tests and biopsys.
They found out what was wrong with me and wanted to operate.
(LEEP conization for cervical dysplasia) 
The doctor made the whole thing sound really scary and horrible and wasn't very compassionate or comforting.  And as the clinic is very busy, the waiting room is always quite full and I felt I was only given partial explanations before I was rushed out of the doctor’s office as she had many other patients to see.
However, as this was the second clinic I had visited in Korea and was better than the zero English one I went to previously I felt I had no choice but to go ahead with the procedure there.

However during some pre-op preparation tests they found problems with my blood
Over the course of 2 weeks I went from having Hemophilia to liver problems to kidney problems to poisonous levels of Potassium.
That last one was a hoot – if I really did have as much potassium as they said I did I should have died of cardiac arrest on the way up the stairs.

Eventually because they couldn't find out what the problem was they referred me to a blood specialist in my home town university hospital.
(a live in a fairly small provincial city – so this really surprised me)

On my first visit to the blood specialist he concluded that there was nothing wrong with my blood.  Someone at La Mere either has no idea what they are doing or messed up a number of times. Thankfully this was a positive end to my weeks of complete fear that I had some really serious blood disease.

Anyway because of the craziness with my bloods my local hospital also decided to give me a second opinion on the other issue.
I got transferred to a lovely gynecologist who examined and retested everything.
Alas, I did have to go ahead with the procedure but it was done really quickly and easily on Saturday morning.  I was in the hospital for less than 2 hours and most of this time was spent with the doctor calmly explaining everything and answering all my silly panicked questions.
Now 1 week post-op I have none of the side-effects that the La Mere doctor warned me of.
For the same procedure La Mere wanted me to stay overnight in their clinic, miss 2 days of school and generally had me absolutely terrified.

I am shocked at how differently the doctors treated this procedure and I'm so very glad that I went with the second opinion.

Speaking with one of my Korean friends about my ordeal she questioned why I had gone to a private clinic in the first place.
Apparently here in Korea all the best doctors work in the public hospitals.

I was also surprised at the amazing level of English my local doctor has.
So I recommend people giving the bigger hospitals more thought when you need something like this.  I avoided the public hospital and went to a private clinic as I thought they would be more accustomed to dealing with foreigners.
Man was I wrong!!

The La Mere clinic is really a nice clinic and perfectly fine if you are just going for a regular check up but if things get more complicated or serious I would recommend going elsewhere – especially a university hospital if you can.

I hate to post negative things but I feel like this info really needs to be out there.
My case may be a unique and unfortunate situation but just in case another woman goes to La Mere and gets a similar diagnosis.

I would like to prevent anyone from having to go through what I just went through.

I want to tell about my experience at La Mere--went through the whole procedure recently and it was actually very good. I was a little worried when I read this last post, because I'd already gone there to get a pap smear and ended up having CIN3 so it was a good idea to get a LEEP done too.

I went ahead and did it there, anyway, and they were very professional. The procedure itself took about 5 minutes and she used a laser, but they still called it LEEP too. They put me under, and afterward let me rest in the next room for a few hours before I went upstairs. The first room was next to the birthing room so I heard a bit of that (but they were so quiet…maybe I was lucky but really, how on Earth…?) Then they asked me to go upstairs where they have a whole floor of rooms. I did have to stay overnight but had worked that morning and worked the next afternoon. I'm glad I stayed overnight, actually, because it bled quite a bit after...maybe because it was a lot of tissue that they had to cut out. The laser does some cauterizing but this can still happen. They let me go at about 9 or 10 the next morning.

When I went back a few weeks later she said it was almost totally healed and that she'd gotten all of the abnormal tissue. So relieved! Also, I'd been quoted around 600,000 but I was only charged 439,000 for some reason. (You pay when you leave.)

As for the doctor, she tells it like it is, quite directly sometimes so I could see how that could be taken as brusqueness, but out of the several times I've been there she's overall kind and usually talkative. Maybe I'm partial because she took bad cells out of me, but she's a good egg. And Eunice, the English speaker on the phone/in the office, is really nice.

It was strange to be staying overnight in a clinic so far away like that, though messaging loved ones helps. And I agree when you first hear about the diagnosis and they take the blood test, THAT room is depressing, haha! But, really, if you need a LEEP(ish laser) procedure done, I was quite satisfied with doing it there.