November 16, 2018, 03:05:45 PM

Author Topic: Funny Co-Teacher's Comments  (Read 180043 times)

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
Re: Funny Co-Teacher's Comments
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Livzy,

I didn't take the "mickey" out of sindta, I just asked a fair question and I did so politely. Please don't "hint" that I should go to Dave's because asking a polite question isn't trolling, regardless what the topic is.

I thought this thread was for amusing anecdotes about language cock-ups and cultural miscommunications, not to take the mickey out of your colleagues.

Hint: Dave's is the other site.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »
Livzy,

I didn't take the "mickey" out of sindta, I just asked a fair question and I did so politely. Please don't "hint" that I should go to Dave's because asking a polite question isn't trolling, regardless what the topic is.

I thought this thread was for amusing anecdotes about language cock-ups and cultural miscommunications, not to take the mickey out of your colleagues.

Sorry I didn't realise you were speaking to colleagues here??

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #422 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
Livzy,

I think there's been some confusion over the word "colleagues". One of you means the people you work with and the other means the people who use this site.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline livzy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
Livzy,

I think there's been some confusion over the word "colleagues". One of you means the people you work with and the other means the people who use this site.

Whoops! An honest mistake, travelinpantsgirl, thanks flasyb !

Offline Agarath

• Adventurer
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »

"Do you masturbate?"

:o Did he ask you that out of the blue, or what?

We were having some beers at my apartment and we somehow got onto the topic of how neither of us have girlfriends. He started talking asking about how you deal with that "problem" when you dont have a girlfriend.

And then the "Do you masturbate?" question came hahaha. So it wasn't completely out of the blue, but you can still imagine the look on my face when he asked that  :laugh:

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
Livzy,

Whoops! An honest mistake, travelinpantsgirl, thanks flasyb !
Oooh in that case, Livzy, I agree with your original comment. I was thinking that as I read the OP.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline MIGHTYMERICAN

• Veteran
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
T: I want to see you a lot.
me: Oh ya i would like that.
T: Come to my house any time.
M:Oh ok thank you for the invitation.
T: Yes, it's ok. My husband works in Gumi so he not home.
M: ah.. ok.

Offline flasyb

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »

So, is she hot?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »
This happened at a teacher's dinner at a restaraunt

I went to the restroom and headed to the urinals. There's only 2 in the bathroom and another teacher from my school was already at one of them.  I unzip and start to do my business, he looks over at my junk...didnt try to hide it...just stared at it and smiled.  (he is thoroughly drunk btw)

I let out a nervous laugh and say
Me: "Whaaaa....."
Him: Its ok. not man to man. older brother, younger brother. So it's ok. 
Me: "nervous laughter continues--pees as fast as possible, finishes, and then zips up"
Him: Penis (pronounced "paynis") big, but water "makes shhhoooooshhh noise" very short. I win. "continues to pee"
Me: Yes..you win. "runs out of bathroom"   

Offline Chadwickhhs

• Expert Waygook
  • This is the fate of all who oppose me.
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
If you were ever going to get assaulted or deported this'd be a good reason to do so.  ;D

Offline gclancy

• Veteran
« Reply #430 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
Me: Where's Inja teacher today?
KT: She's not come. She's having implants. In her tit.
Me: Pardon?
KT: Implant, in her tit! (points to mouth)
Me Oh, in her teeth! (relieved laughter)

Offline dachiza727

• Super Waygook
  • pretty, prettyy, prettyyy good
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
only read a couple of the posts on here (there's 20 somethin pages) so this scenario might have been explored already.

my 1st week here (4years ago)...  my main coteacher (older woman) takes me for to a pizza place after school.  in an attempt to build some rapport b4 school goes full swing.

coT: what kind of pizza do you like?
me: anything is fine, thanks.
coT: okay, how about some cock?
me: (big smile, wide eyes) huh?!?
coT: Cock! Do you like Cock?
me: (uncontrollable laughter, red face)

finally figured out what she meant....  coke.  I've drank sprite/cider in korea ever since.

i wonder how many times i've made awkward mistakes like this pronouncing korean. 
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

Offline shhowse

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
  • E2 Visa High School, 5 years
« Reply #432 on: September 13, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »
After cooking up a huge traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dinner for all eight of my coteachers we were talking around the table and the conversation turned to instant rice. To clarify what they were saying, since it was all in Korean of course, even though I was hosting at my home, I pulled out a package of Korean minute rice.

CoT: <Gasps> Shanna, hahaha, you are not a perfect wife if you can't cook rice!
Other CoT's: all smile, laugh and nod

Me, looking at the 10 or so dishes they all ate and highly complimented  :o  ???

Tried to no avail to explain that I know how to make rice but rarely eat it at home, but in their eyes the damage was done...

Offline TeachaTeacha

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #433 on: September 13, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
I'm in my office... coteacher is teaching a special grade 1 class in the next room...

Co: dyke
Gr.1s: DYKE
Co: dyke
Gr1s: DYKE

Shocked, I got up and went into the room that they were in...

Me: Uhm, Mrs. Lee... what are you teaching?
Co: Oh, this is phonics class.
Me: Uhhh... okay, can I see your teaching resources?
Co: Sure, here.

She hands me a soft "c" worksheet...

Me: This is a soft "c" worksheet. It's pronounced "dice."

Offline Row

• Veteran
« Reply #434 on: September 13, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
*notices a new student on attendance sheet*

Me: Who is -student-?
KT: Oh, -student-, she is...hmm...retarded

Came outta nowhere. The kid was a bit of an idiot, though.

Offline giselle

• Veteran
« Reply #435 on: September 14, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
I have 2 coworkers who didn't grasp concept of "having a hard time" or "giving someone a hard time"

One was heavily pregnant over the summer, constant battling for the AC, you know the drill.  So, one day, I'm sitting in our office, probably looking at waygook.org, and she walks in, sweating, stomps her little foot, all pouty & whines "oh, today I am very hard."  I nearly spit my coffee across the room.   She's awesome, and that made for a good laugh.

The other lady was talking about the problem students in our classes & how they're a problem for everyone, so I shouldn't feel bad.  At the school dinner, talking about the absolute worst girl in the school, she says to me & everyone "Oh, she's so naughty, she makes all the teachers hard".  This time, it was my soju I almost spit across the room.   

I love those unforeseeable teaching moments.  Makes me think about language I just take for granted & hopefully helps Koreans (or anyone not fluent) not be so serious about themselves for a minute.

Offline skjosh

• Adventurer
« Reply #436 on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:26 AM »
I'm not sure if this even counts because I was the one who misunderstood, but still.... As we were waiting in the Dr.'s office there was a T.V. program on, a woman with 3 dogs was showing her house and then cooking a meal.

"CT: She is famous actor. She is cooking Korean Chicken soup, only she is using dug instead.
Me: ... She's what???
CT: She is using dug!
Me: She's using what??
CT: Dug! Dug! She is using Dug!
Me: (sitting there silently horrified, then after several minutes pass) OH! DUCK!"

My coteacher then stared at me for several minutes as if I'd lost my mind.

Hah! That reminds me of a 10 minute conversation with a co-teacher about how Koreans like to eat dog, with me keeping a straight face and acting casually interested. It turns out we were not talking about dog !

Man, the same thing just happened to me last week. It was during a conversation class where I had them talk about their favorite foods. Smoked dog is delicious. Do you have smoked dog in the US? No, we don't eat dog. If you eat dog in the US people will think you're crazy because they are companion animals. But dog is so low? The conversation went on like that for a while until I finally realized he was saying DUCK. ㅋㅋ

Offline aschil6

• Veteran
« Reply #437 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
A few boys were sleeping in one of my classes and (not wanting to overstep any boundaries) I asked my co-teacher how she would usually handle that. Her reply:

"I don't like them so I just let them be there."

Alrighty then...

Offline 한소로

• Expert Waygook
  • SMOE
« Reply #438 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
Most of my co-teachers have really good english so there's usually not any problem in that sort of way, but they love making fun of their students.

CoT: Ah, don't worry about her. *points to student* Her face looks like trash, right?

CoT: Her head is completely empty.

CoT: Wearing a sweater makes me look like an old man?? Its a cultural difference! A cultural difference!! Young Korean men can wear sweaters, I am young! (Next day he wore a suit)

Offline tesoljon

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #439 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »
I was an hour late this morning. I mis-programmed my alarm clock for the second time and missed a class for the kids in the teaching competition. Anyway it seemed not to matter. One of the naughtiest kids in the middle school comes to my teacher and after a long conversation heads off with his punishment.

Me: Is he in trouble?
Teacher: Yes
Me: I saw him on the weekend in town.
Teacher (laughing): Yes, he must have gone to the piss house.
Me: (Smiling and leaving) (Then, thinking to myself? What? No. Couldn't be? Yes!, oh. Touche)

Amazing what can be slipped through translation. Teacher 1 - Redvers 0

I'm sorry for quoting an old post, but what's a "piss house"? Pizza house? Google was mainly bringing up results about pets urinating indoors.  ???