March 22, 2019, 02:39:16 AM

Author Topic: Science Camp  (Read 70555 times)

Offline heatherhmtang

• Adventurer
Re: Science Camp
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
Not sure if I posted this before...but here's a ppt for making lava lamps. I did this with younger students and they liked it. You need a lot of oil, food coloring, and some fizzy tablets. I got the Vitamin C tablets from Home Plus. The ones from Korean pharmacies don't work.

Offline pigeonfart

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
Classes:

- Water and oil
 - Crazy Inventions (download the videos, and keep them in the same folder as the PPT in order for them to work)

I really like that invention PPT and the relevant invention activities.

Offline Enders

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
This is the science camp I will be running this year. It is for an advanced Middle school class. It was originally meant to be for 5 days 3 hours a day, but that has now been reduced so I hope someone gets full use out of it. A lot of the materials have come from this thread, but some have also come from from other sites, such as Steve Spangler. There are 5 ppts covering everything with a worksheet ( no worksheet for day 5, last day of the week!). The layout of the ppts are also all identical.

Day 1:  Scientific Method
            Make your own catapult
            Non- Newtonian liquids

Day 2:  Egg Drop Experiment
            Make your own light blub

Day 3:  Osmosis
            9 layer liquid density
            Surface tension of a penny

Day 4:  Barbie Bungee Jump
            Reactions - Baking soda and Vinegar & Mentos and Coke
            Elephants Toothpaste

Day 5:  Spaghetti Tower Challenge
            Paper Bridge
            Make your own mini robot

Offline SugarBabe82

• Waygookin
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
Not sure if I posted this before...but here's a ppt for making lava lamps. I did this with younger students and they liked it. You need a lot of oil, food coloring, and some fizzy tablets. I got the Vitamin C tablets from Home Plus. The ones from Korean pharmacies don't work.

Hi I'm curious to know about this experiment. How long does the fizzy tablets work?
Does it last the whole day or longer? Aren't those tablets expensive? Just trying to get an interesting activity for my younger grade 1-3. Thanks for the post

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 08:54:13 PM »
just came across this now. i know camp is still half a semester away but this might be useful if you end up doing a science camp for summer: 15 fun, easy science experiments you can do that don't take a lot of prep:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53612/15-science-experiments-you-can-do-your-kids

EDIT: I had to update the link because the old one stopped working for some reason. if this link also stops working in future, just search for "mentalfloss 15 science experiments" on the googles and you should find it easily (i hope).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:44:23 PM by johnny russian »

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
For the mentos and coke, what is the best way to drop multiple mentos? What is the plastic thing I see people using in some videos?

Offline smalltowngal

• Adventurer
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:19 PM »
I, too, did a science camp last summer, but I twisted it to be a Magic School Bus science camp. In addition to doing mini-experiments and learning some science vocab, for few of the lessons (including a bridge-building one) the students watched clips from Magic School Bus on Youtube. It was a pretty big hit with my 5th graders.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »
For the mentos and coke, what is the best way to drop multiple mentos? What is the plastic thing I see people using in some videos?

In case anyone is interested I found them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=geyser%20tube%20mentos&sprefix=geyser+tube+men%2Ctoys-and-games&rh=i%3Atoys-and-games%2Ck%3Ageyser%20tube%20mentos

Online tomoakleaf

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2014, 06:50:10 AM »
This ppt presents a little about the galaxy, the planets and finishes with the students making a rocket balloon.  I usaully make up a worksheet to go with the ppt. 

Offline smirks

• Newgookin
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Hey there!

For all of you looking for science camp resources, google runs a maker camp with makezine, and each day has a different project with great pictures, visuals, and instructions:

http://makercamp.com/

Offline toddsqui

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
So for the bungee experiment, students are measuring the distance from the ground to the point where the marker changed course and snapped back up? Is that the idea? O_O

I'm so bad at science, guys.

-T
I created a small web course for newbie teachers on Udemy here.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

Day 5:  ****
            Paper Bridge

@Enders and to anyone who has done the "Paper Bridge" experiment. How much weight did the winner hold? Did you all use 20 sheets of paper? Many on-line references i have seen say 4 sheets. I would be guessing 20 sheets could get quite strong, but i've never done this activity before.

also, Enders, thanks for the ppt, i've borrowed heavily from it and looks good.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
Here is a powerpoint I made for anyone that is interested in making rock candy. I'm gonna give this a try during camp this year, hopefully it goes well. Thanks to all of the previous posters for some great ideas.

****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:46:04 PM by Schellib39 »

Offline fwicksteed

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
Here's a link to my middle school science camp:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,82525.msg550467.html#msg550467

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »
Okay, so i know this is a little late BUT...here is my workbook for my elementary science camp! I was a Science teacher in the states so this was a super exciting workbook to make.

Almost all of the worksheets are made by me (almost...) and most of the projects are pretty easy to get the supplies for (borax and 6% hydrogen peroxide should be your most difficult to obtain)

I wanted this camp to have an experiment or something hands on every day. I also wanted to mix with building things, craft, chemical reactions, and stuff you can eat.

This is a 2 week camp for elementary school. I'll post the ppts as I make them because I really want to make them easy and interesting to understand, so i'm taking my time with them.

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Augh...here is the suilly science workbook in pdf so the format and fonts stay the same

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »
Day 1 and 2 ppts!  Day 1 was a huge success :)

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Day 2 was a huge success! States of matter with the pop rocks experiment was really popular :)

Here is day 3! For cells they will make a cell with post its (I'm only giving them like....10 minutes) and it isn't VERY in depth, but I am using visuals. (balloon is the cell membrane. i'll fill it with water to talk about how cytoplasm helps a cell keep it's shape, then throw it in a trash can and talk about vacuoles being the "trash cans" of a human cell)

I'm really excited about physics. I have some gifs of fun examples and a video of strange physics phenomena, and then paper bridges!  They will go crazy.
My classes are 80 minutes so I split them into 40 minutes each and I like to do something hands on and exciting each period.  It's totally working. :)

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2016, 01:30:05 PM »
Day 3 went great as expected...students were more into the cell video than I thought! :)  Paper bridges I would make only 10 papers though...they were too good at making bridges and 20cm was not long enough....I'd say 30cm is a bigger test ^^

Day 4 is going to be the ocean and exothermic reactions!
 I combined both into one ppt but it is EASILY split :)

ocean: I'll teach them the ocean zones, they'll do a quick worksheet, and then we will do "sink or float!" but here is the catch....I have 2 bins...one with regular water and 1 with salt water (craaaapppp ton of salt).  I HIGHLY advise using an egg as one of the sink or float objects because it floats in salt water and sinks in tap water :)

I'm teaching them about how the ocean has higher density because it has a higher salt content!  The more saly you add, the better this experiment will go!

Exothermic reaction: means reaction that gives heat.  This requires a little more prep because you need 6% hydrogen peroxide (3%, which it what you buy in the store, will not work....12% will be a little...uhm...too hot for kiddos). Your coT CAN call the science supply store and they will mix you 6% :)  or if you get 12%...it's easy. just mix 1/4th c water and 1/4th c 12%...boom! 1/2 c 6% peroxide!!
Basically...elephants toothpaste. mix yeast and water in a cup. mix peroxide, dishsoap, and food coloring in a bottle. add the yeast water to the bottle and foam shoots out. it's warm to the touch which is what makes it "exothermic"!

Offline Inge1415

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
exothermic reactions were the hit today! obviously...they love when foam sprays everywhere...
Note for float or sink in the ocean part, plastic knives also float in salt water and sink in fresh water. it was pretty cool!

tomorrow is bones and making rock candy.

bones: I have a pdf I got from pinterest of a full sized human body. after going through some slides they will cut out and build a skeleton. my workbook also has a mini skeleton craft.

rock candy: I explain the difference between dissolving in hot water and dissolving in acid, show a few examples, and then make rock candy!

pretty simple day tomorrow!