December 18, 2018, 07:11:44 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 265332 times)

Offline channel5karate

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #840 on: February 09, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »
Okay, so I went into deskwarming today but my room had no electricity, heat, or internet and I had to turn in my computer on the last day of school. I also have only 2 weeks left of my contract (all deskwarming) before I leave Korea. Is there realistically anything that can happen to me if I just don't show up? All the admins know my phone number and I speak Korean so I can just come in if they call me. My co-T and handler didn't renew her contract with the school and told me she is never going back. Whenever I HAVE gone to deskwarming no one has ever checked in on me. 

I am just wondering if I can lose my severance and exit allowance in the 2 weeks left if I just decide not to go to a dark, cold room with no electricity and internet.
if you're not comfortable with the risk of just not showing up, but still don't really want to be there you can try this: come in when you're supposed to, say, 8:30, make a little noise, and write a note on your desk that alludes to you going on a walk, picking up lunch, forgot something at home, etc etc.  include your phone number.  then go home/gym/hiking/the bar and perhaps return to school shortly before you're expected to leave.
this is what I do, I don't think anyone even sees the damn note but there ya go.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:01:50 PM by channel5karate »

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #841 on: February 09, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
Okay, so I went into deskwarming today but my room had no electricity, heat, or internet and I had to turn in my computer on the last day of school. I also have only 2 weeks left of my contract (all deskwarming) before I leave Korea. Is there realistically anything that can happen to me if I just don't show up? All the admins know my phone number and I speak Korean so I can just come in if they call me. My co-T and handler didn't renew her contract with the school and told me she is never going back. Whenever I HAVE gone to deskwarming no one has ever checked in on me. 

I am just wondering if I can lose my severance and exit allowance in the 2 weeks left if I just decide not to go to a dark, cold room with no electricity and internet.

At my school the caretaker sometimes (too often for my liking) forgets to turn on the power in the morning so I have to go remind him.  Sitting in a room without even electricity, let alone heating, is absolutely ridiculous.  Since you said you can speak Korean, if there is a caretaker I would go tell them that you need the power and heat on.  If the power is on then you might get internet too, and use your own laptop if you have one.  It's possible the caretaker didn't know you were there, because honestly sometimes we are forgotten as NETs. 

That's if you decide to go in at all, I am not going to weigh in on that part.  I think all schools attitudes to things like that will be different.  An understanding principal will forgive you because you didn't have lights or heat.  Other Principals may not care in the least.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #842 on: February 09, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
It is interesting to see what other people do during deskwarming!

I wish had the balls to just not go, but I do usually take extra long lunches and go out wandering or pop back to my house for a bit.

At my old school we could leave after lunch time or I would take it turns with another contract teacher to not come and the other would cover. Those were good days!

This year everyone in my province got an email saying we absolutely have to deskwarm, for insurance reasons  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but I bet many still dont.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #843 on: February 09, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
I don't do much. Put on a movie or some youtube in the back ground and surf the interwebs. I have a random document on my laptop for random thoughts that I have about everything from being forced to chill in the library cause my classroom has no heat, to what I plan to have for dinner.

I don't understand Korea's system when it comes to the end of the school year. Why not have the contracts end Feb 12-ish (whenever classes offically ends)? Let all that deskwarming time go towards th new teacher so they can prep some lessons, get familiar with their coworkers and school facilities before classes actually start? makes too much snese for Korea though.

Offline f.pllay

• Newgookin
« Reply #844 on: February 09, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Bored out of my mind. Resorted to studying. It's so cold in here I'm practically frozen. I don't even have Facebook posts to scorn.

Offline LupinTheThird

• Newgookin
« Reply #845 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »
If someone had told me my 22 hour week was going to turn into a 50 hour week when you add on desk warming and traveling for desk warming, I would never have taken this job. Complete and utter BS. I seriously don't think I am going to last the year.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #846 on: March 02, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »
If someone had told me my 22 hour week was going to turn into a 50 hour week when you add on desk warming and traveling for desk warming, I would never have taken this job. Complete and utter BS. I seriously don't think I am going to last the year.

Desk-warming is the worst, but it's not so bad when you consider you're being paid to do nothing. I suggest you find something to do self-improvement-wise, to pass the time. For example:
Study a foreign language
Start writing that book/screenplay/short story you always wanted to

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #847 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
Since getting my own office, I've been exercising. And watching movies (usually while I'm working on a project, lesson-planning, creating worksheets and ppts at the same time, so I'm not being a complete do-nothing).

Also, April Fools is coming up. I'm meticulously planning the rigging of my classroom for some shenanigans. These kids are going to hate me by the end of that week.

And I'm also making some beautiful English posters to replace the boring ones hanging up in here. My whole classroom will be an interactive work of art by the time I'm done with it.

Offline Elegy

• Adventurer
« Reply #848 on: March 02, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »

When have EPIK teachers ever had 22 hour work weeks? Yeah, you teach class for 22 hours a week (or 22 40/45 minute sessions, to be precise), but we're at our schools for 40 hours a week. How is that a surprise to anyone? It's stated in the contract when you sign...I get not liking deskwarming, but when you sign a document that explicitly says "YOU WILL BE AT SCHOOL FROM 830-430", it's hard to be rationally upset when you have to fulfill that contractual obligation.

Travel time, yeah, it sucks. I'm lucky, so my longest commute is only 40 min once a week, but...yeah. Commuting eats up time for traveling teachers, it sucks.

Online Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #849 on: March 02, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
my longest commute... is across the freaking street.... Yay for getting to sleep in to 8:15 and still get to work on time.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #850 on: September 16, 2017, 03:51:27 PM »
Totally. Thanks to my extensive deskwarming at my gyeonggi school in 2013, I was able to complete the bulk of my second master's courses. 8 hours with nothing to do for two to three weeks? Yup, I was the most productive person ever. Banged out loads of essays, participated in a ton of threads for the class, helped add the 2014 books to waygook, created my winter camp plan and materials, and I napped while playing movies. Sure I would've rather had been home particularly since that school didn't heat or cool any place except the 해장실 (sp?) so I was either sweating or freezing but I was essentially getting paid to finish my degree.

Desk-warming is the worst, but it's not so bad when you consider you're being paid to do nothing. I suggest you find something to do self-improvement-wise, to pass the time. For example:
Study a foreign language
Start writing that book/screenplay/short story you always wanted to
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #851 on: September 17, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »

If you're in a public school, your contract pretty clearly stated that you are gonna be at your job for at least 40 hours a week, so I'm not sure why you would expect anything else. Just be happy those aren't 40 *teaching* hours like at some hagwons!!  :huh:

Offline profporkchop

• Adventurer
« Reply #852 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
Do people not use battery powered heating socks/gloves?

seems weird to me.

Offline jannettiee

• Newgookin
« Reply #853 on: February 22, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
Do people not use battery powered heating socks/gloves?

seems weird to me.

That's a thing?!
But also, I come from the desert so I'm a noob at this whole "cold winter" thing.

Offline jmnegr2

• Waygookin
« Reply #854 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:12 AM »

Yes. We often feel like we're being monitored a lot more closely than we actually are. I feel like in most cases if nearly everybody else is out of the office and you're the only chump around, nobody is going to ask questions as to your whereabouts and likely they won't even notice your absence.  Of course if you ask anyone whether it's cool to cut out early or not, they're going to go with the safest answer ("No.") for fear that your deviant behavior might be traced back to them.

That said, couldn't "deskwarming" be rephrased as "curriculum development"? Did all of your lessons in the past year go perfectly? Is there no way to improve or update your materials? Is there really no valid reason to be at school during that time? I don't want to be a wet blanket (or repetitive if others have made this point before me*), but I'm sure there's some way to use your time productively at work even if you're the only one there. If not, is it really so bad to be stuck in your office with some time on your hands? If so, try cutting out early :laugh:

*It turns out I was being repetitive.  Here's the very first post from this thread:
Why do we have to deskwarm?

Nobody knows, but NETs aren't the ones who do--Korean contract teachers deskwarm, as well.
Tenured teachers (they rotate) deskwarm, too, as do the principal and VP.

Things to Do

-lesson plan ahead
-improve your MS Office skills; people in business should focus on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (finance majors VBA as well)
-keep abreast with your field of study, especially if it's computer related--programming, graphic design, etc.
-brush up on your financial literacy
-brush up on your grammar if necessary
-learn a new skill that may make you more marketable in the job market here or back home
-exercise

Just a heads up; last year I thought nobody was monitoring my deskwarming activity and it turned out I was wrong. My supervisor let slip that my CoolMessenger login data was used to tell if I was actually there or not. It was bought up at contract renewal which was worrying, but nothing came of it. These days I deskwarm.

This is super important. I know for a fact that my attendance is tracked through my CoolMessenger login data. Doesn't really matter what I do while I'm here as long as I'm here. I've been specifically told that I should make sure it's turned on due to "principal monitoring"

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #855 on: June 01, 2018, 03:16:05 PM »

Yes. We often feel like we're being monitored a lot more closely than we actually are. I feel like in most cases if nearly everybody else is out of the office and you're the only chump around, nobody is going to ask questions as to your whereabouts and likely they won't even notice your absence.  Of course if you ask anyone whether it's cool to cut out early or not, they're going to go with the safest answer ("No.") for fear that your deviant behavior might be traced back to them.

That said, couldn't "deskwarming" be rephrased as "curriculum development"? Did all of your lessons in the past year go perfectly? Is there no way to improve or update your materials? Is there really no valid reason to be at school during that time? I don't want to be a wet blanket (or repetitive if others have made this point before me*), but I'm sure there's some way to use your time productively at work even if you're the only one there. If not, is it really so bad to be stuck in your office with some time on your hands? If so, try cutting out early :laugh:

*It turns out I was being repetitive.  Here's the very first post from this thread:
Why do we have to deskwarm?

Nobody knows, but NETs aren't the ones who do--Korean contract teachers deskwarm, as well.
Tenured teachers (they rotate) deskwarm, too, as do the principal and VP.

Things to Do

-lesson plan ahead
-improve your MS Office skills; people in business should focus on Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (finance majors VBA as well)
-keep abreast with your field of study, especially if it's computer related--programming, graphic design, etc.
-brush up on your financial literacy
-brush up on your grammar if necessary
-learn a new skill that may make you more marketable in the job market here or back home
-exercise

Just a heads up; last year I thought nobody was monitoring my deskwarming activity and it turned out I was wrong. My supervisor let slip that my CoolMessenger login data was used to tell if I was actually there or not. It was bought up at contract renewal which was worrying, but nothing came of it. These days I deskwarm.

This is super important. I know for a fact that my attendance is tracked through my CoolMessenger login data. Doesn't really matter what I do while I'm here as long as I'm here. I've been specifically told that I should make sure it's turned on due to "principal monitoring"

It sounds a bit like 1984.  George Orwell would be proud. 

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #856 on: June 01, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
I've spent the past week's afternoons sanding, painting (touch up paint), compounding and polishing my car in the school car park. Everybody thinks I'm completely insane.

Offline eujunseo

• Veteran
« Reply #857 on: June 02, 2018, 02:15:28 AM »
I've spent the past week's afternoons sanding, painting (touch up paint), compounding and polishing my car in the school car park. Everybody thinks I'm completely insane.

You must really love your car. Which model is it?

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #858 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
I'm back to deskwarming after vacation.  My goal is to finish a craft project I started when I first came to Korea a few years ago.  I'll certainly have enough time.

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #859 on: August 08, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »
I'm back to deskwarming after vacation.  My goal is to finish a craft project I started when I first came to Korea a few years ago.  I'll certainly have enough time.

Good idea! I've got a few unfinished projects!

Thanks for the reminder!