September 24, 2018, 01:37:12 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 257699 times)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #820 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Does anyone know the official policy on where we have to deskwarm?

Really not wanting to commute to my visiting school, the past two year in different locations I always stayed at my main school the entire time.

I'm quite sure they won't mind you desk warming at your main school. Days to our alternate schools have to be registered with NEIS as unpaid business trips anyway. At least where I'm teaching.

Offline elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #821 on: December 06, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »

Really not wanting to commute to my visiting school, the past two year in different locations I always stayed at my main school the entire time.

From what I know (which may be jack), it's up to your school(s). If your travel school wants you, then I guess you have to go.  Keep in mind, that if you don't go to your travel school for a month then you don't get the travel bonus. Best advice would be to ask your schools.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #822 on: December 06, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »
It's probably up to your schools. Do you ever have days where all your classes for travel school are canceled? Where do you go then?

I stay at my main school, but I know someone who had to go to her travel school even on deskwarming days (apparently there was no office/desk for her at her main school).

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #823 on: December 07, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »

From what I know (which may be jack), it's up to your school(s). If your travel school wants you, then I guess you have to go.  Keep in mind, that if you don't go to your travel school for a month then you don't get the travel bonus. Best advice would be to ask your schools.

When I used to work in a rural area and teach at multiple public schools, I always deskwarmed at my main school -- but as others have said, you should probably ask, as it depends on your schools. Also, yeah, I didn't receive my multiple school bonus during the months when I deskwarmed at my main school and didn't go to my travel schools.

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #824 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »

Whenever I don't have classes at my travel school I deskwarm at my main school. (But that could be because I don't have a dedicated space at the travel school and would just be in the way in the office.) Then again, its up to your school.

Offline e_p

• Adventurer
« Reply #825 on: December 07, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »
Last year when I had deskwarming I would show up in the morning, say hello to everyone, then after about 20 minutes I would write a note in Korean saying I was going to get stuff [intentionally vague] and to call me if you need anything and put my cell phone number on it. Then I would come back around 30 minutes before closing time. That said I lived 5 minutes from my school, so if you live close this is a safe option.

Offline Greenteabingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #826 on: January 01, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
My co teacher assumes my deskwarming time means that I should still work for 22 hours  :shocked: Since my winter camp got cut from 2 weeks (low budget) to one week...I'm spending this whole week doing 2 sessions a day of fun English stuff with students. I just want my deskwarming back  :cry:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #827 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
My co teacher assumes my deskwarming time means that I should still work for 22 hours  :shocked:
Well, technically she's right: we're contracted for 22 hours per week, and really ought to be doing that regardless of whether other people are off for holidays or not.

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy the opportunity to sit at work, crank bad music, and let myself slide into a lower state of consciousness for a day or two, but I get that it's not what I'm being paid to do so I can't really blame my school for going out of its way to keep me busy (3 hours of teacher workshops whoooo!  ;D :cry:) between camps.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
I thought 22 hours a week was more of a maximum (before overtime) than a requirement? At least that's how it seemed to be implied at orientation.

During the academic year my school finds stuff for me to do to put me at 22 hours (including supervising PE class... Lol) but during deskwarming season I'm pretty much left to do whatever. I'm glad they don't give me busy work and just leave me to my own devices.

Offline ShandraRee

• Newgookin
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
This is my first desk warming season. One of the contract Korean contract English teachers is here for this week. I will be alone or on vacation the remainder of the break. Last Friday she asked me what my handler said I should do for the next couple of weeks before I take vacation. My handler didn't give me any instructions. The KET is doing daycare in the mornings this week. So she told me that since I am supposed to work 22 hours a week teaching I should help her. I don't mind. It keeps me from napping all day. Plus the kids are super cute. I don't have to prepare anything at all since I'm really there just so she's not alone. They might be cute but they are a handful. The only problem I can think of is that the kids are 1st and 2nd graders and I'm not supposed to teach those grades. On a side note, I will also be teaching them during winter English camp along with 3rd and 4th graders.   :laugh:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Sitting here evaluating my love/hate attitude towards deskwarming.  I hate it that it can be so boring and tedious.  I love it because I use it to finish non-work-related tasks/projects. 

Since I'm curious and have time on my hands, how do you feel about deskwarming? Do you love it, hate it, tolerate it? 

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
Sitting here evaluating my love/hate attitude towards deskwarming.  I hate it that it can be so boring and tedious.  I love it because I use it to finish non-work-related tasks/projects. 

Since I'm curious and have time on my hands, how do you feel about deskwarming? Do you love it, hate it, tolerate it?

I think it's stupid and harmful for productivity. I would prefer it to not getting paid.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #832 on: January 09, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
I'm into my second week of deskwarming and still loving it.  It's like being on vacation.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #833 on: January 09, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »

I like it, don't hate it. Obviously everyone would probably prefer more vacation but I'd rather have more deskwarming than extra camp/classes. The school year is busy enough that I can appreciate a solid chunk of downtime. The first few days I kinda just relax and decompress. Then once I get restless I start working on organizing and prepping for the next semester (amidst recreational hobbies like reading or w/e) but at a relaxed pace.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #834 on: January 09, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
I've just been reading. I do find that my attention span has gone way down, though, so after like ten pages I come on Waygook for a little bit or go to the bathroom or something but it's hard for me to sit still and just read for much longer at a time. Once I've had that little break, I go back to reading another eight to ten pages. I clean my classroom and my desk toward the end of each day and occasionally I go to the teacher's office to have coffee with whoever is in that day. Much better than camp, that's for sure.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #835 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
yirgacheffe YES!

Due to some crazy stomach bug and a trip to hospital I am now desk warming after postponing my vacation dates by a week. Worked out well though as my actual total time in school is less due to those nice red days at the end of the month  ;D
I spend mine reading mostly (love the Kindle app and that you can have it on multiple devices) and planning for my actual vacation. School prep will be done after my trip and I'm in work mode. This early on I'm in holiday mode, work is not getting done!  :azn:

Definitely beats camp...

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #836 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
My first day deskwarming from vacation has been spent reading UKTeacher, sorry headteacher, no no Busan1's arguments with people.

Somebody give that guy a TV show!

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #837 on: January 09, 2017, 02:59:46 PM »
My first day deskwarming from vacation has been spent reading UKTeacher, sorry headteacher, no no Busan1's arguments with people.

Somebody give that guy a TV show!

:-[ Received my first warning from waygook admin for taking the bait in one of those arguments. Still awaiting their feedback from his interesting PMs...

Offline srandradejr

• Explorer
« Reply #838 on: February 09, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »
Okay, so I went into deskwarming today but my room had no electricity, heat, or internet and I had to turn in my computer on the last day of school. I also have only 2 weeks left of my contract (all deskwarming) before I leave Korea. Is there realistically anything that can happen to me if I just don't show up? All the admins know my phone number and I speak Korean so I can just come in if they call me. My co-T and handler didn't renew her contract with the school and told me she is never going back. Whenever I HAVE gone to deskwarming no one has ever checked in on me. 

I am just wondering if I can lose my severance and exit allowance in the 2 weeks left if I just decide not to go to a dark, cold room with no electricity and internet.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #839 on: February 09, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Okay, so I went into deskwarming today but my room had no electricity, heat, or internet and I had to turn in my computer on the last day of school. I also have only 2 weeks left of my contract (all deskwarming) before I leave Korea. Is there realistically anything that can happen to me if I just don't show up? All the admins know my phone number and I speak Korean so I can just come in if they call me. My co-T and handler didn't renew her contract with the school and told me she is never going back. Whenever I HAVE gone to deskwarming no one has ever checked in on me. 

I am just wondering if I can lose my severance and exit allowance in the 2 weeks left if I just decide not to go to a dark, cold room with no electricity and internet.

I don't know the repercussions, but I will say "Give 'er a go!"
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free