December 11, 2018, 04:41:55 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264623 times)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
Re: How do you feel when the principal sees you deskwarm?
« Reply #780 on: July 27, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
I hardly ever see my principal but he is a cool guy. I don't think he would care. However, I think one of my CoT thinks that all I do all day is take naps and do nothing. She has not said anything directly but I don't think she likes it. For the past few days, she has been coming to my office to help me with summer camp things but whenever she comes, she catches me when I just finished a nap so my eyes are still not fully open. She never catches me when I actually do work because when she comes, I'm done work and I'm bored. So one day she comes into my office and she was like 'look into my eyes' and then I realized, she thinks I'm a lazy butt.

The librarian at my last school was like that.   Yeah the f'en librarian.  One time I was taking a nap under my desk and she came in and woke me up and said "What do?" I was like ummmm excuse me but this is winter vacation time and I'm in here deskwarming, what else was I suppose to "what do."  I was always worried she would snitch on me for napping.  So now I have "learned my lesson" and I stay awake at my current school.....OH but I managed to catch my co-workers head down on desk, full sleep mode, even in open areas in the library.  But god forbid I do that.  A parent might see me  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seeing as all 3 of my CTs have napped ont heir desk throughout the year I would feel no shame doing it. Otoh, I enjoy sleeping at night so wouldn't anyway.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
No one checks on me. Mostly, it's good. My new CT has showed up a handful of times but I don't think she's here to check on me. I get invited down for lunch in the main office occasionally and then come back up here to chill.

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #782 on: July 27, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »
Why would they care, they know you have nothing to do. All the Korean teachers get way more vacation time though they'll come in randomly to do paperwork. You have way less vacation time and zero paperwork.

I just played video games on my laptop.

OK-the Korean teachers do get a lot more vacation time, right?! I was surprised (read: peeved) when one of my co-teachers asked how long my trip was and I when I said about two weeks she seemed shocked and jealous? I didn't react to her ridiculous reaction. By the way, she is under 30...so it's not an "ahjumma thing."

Offline carolynlou12

• Adventurer
« Reply #783 on: July 27, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Why would they care, they know you have nothing to do. All the Korean teachers get way more vacation time though they'll come in randomly to do paperwork. You have way less vacation time and zero paperwork.

OK-the Korean teachers do get a lot more vacation time, right?! I was surprised (read: peeved) when one of my co-teachers asked how long my trip was and I when I said about two weeks she seemed shocked and jealous? I didn't react to her ridiculous reaction. By the way, she is under 30...so it's not an "ahjumma thing."

They get more vacation time than us, but they don't actually go on many trips. Same as back home for me. You might use a week of your vacation to travel, but the rest is spent visiting family or just chilling at home.

Offline natmossy

• Veteran
« Reply #784 on: July 27, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »

They get more vacation time than us, but they don't actually go on many trips. Same as back home for me. You might use a week of your vacation to travel, but the rest is spent visiting family or just chilling at home.

People are free to choose what they want to do with their off time. Bottom line is, they get more vacation time.  :wink: Edit: The point that I was trying to make about vacation time and taking trips is that she made it seem as though I were going away for a long time, when in fact, she's got a longer break than me! ha...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 12:38:25 PM by natmossy »

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #785 on: July 27, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
She'd have to walk past the Korean teacher in this room watching soap operas and screaming obscenities down the phone to her friends before even having a chance of seeing me crumpled in a heap of feverish "should be home right now resting".
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline Zaiterade

• Super Waygook
« Reply #786 on: July 27, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »

Yes, but they also work longer hours than us on average, and have to deal with all of the working culture crap that most other Korean teacher's complain about (teacher dinners, staying late, general unhappiness, etc). At least we NETs can get out of alot of crap by pulling the foreigner card.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #787 on: July 27, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
In the beginning I often worked late due in part to adjusting to a new job and country and also having multiple schools. Some days I still work as late as the Korean teachers do. My main principle sees this so I think he's sometimes relieved if I'm taking it easy during deskwarming. One time it hit 5pm but I was still working and he stared at me and told me to go home lol. Thankfully he's fairly chill and a nice person. If I had to deskwarm at my travel school with the strict VP you can bet i'd be looking busy the entire time

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #788 on: July 27, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »

Yes, but they also work longer hours than us on average, and have to deal with all of the working culture crap that most other Korean teacher's complain about (teacher dinners, staying late, general unhappiness, etc). At least we NETs can get out of alot of crap by pulling the foreigner card.

Also, the teachers are sometimes required to participate in "training" or educational programs during vacation, so even though they are not present at school, they might actually still be doing work-related stuff in some other venue. Obviously this doesn't hold true for every single teacher, but it's a possibility, especially if she is still young and in the early years of her career.

In terms of being caught deskwarming, I usually have a few documents and a couple of educational-looking websites open that I can quickly Alt-Tab to. :laugh: Or, if I'm on my phone, I just keep those windows open and quickly switch to the computer if someone comes in. I can hear the footsteps about five seconds before anyone actually enters, so I always have plenty of time to switch to the busy look. :laugh:

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #789 on: July 27, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
The only time I remember a vice-principal stopping by to "check on me" while deskwarming a few years ago at my last public school, he couldn't even see what I was doing, other than the fact that I was sitting at my desk in front of my work computer (he didn't enter the English office and basically just opened the door and poked his head in to say hello to me; plus, the way my desk was situated/arranged, my work computer was facing away from him, so he couldn't see what I was looking at/doing on the computer unless he had entered the English office and walked all the way around behind my desk, neither of which he did). Apart from that, I don't recall anyone ever really coming by to check on me while deskwarming -- although on a few different occasions in the past at previous public schools, I did get a phone call from someone in the administration office (they called the English office landline phone number) to check to make sure that I was there. Otherwise, in general, no one ever really physically came to check on me during my past deskwarming days.

Getting caught playing on my cell phone wasn't ever really an issue, since I'm not much of a phone person in general, and I didn't have a smartphone for the majority of the years I worked in the public school system in Korea (I only finally got one like a month before my last public school contract ended -- and by that point, it was summer vacation/summer camp/deskwarming time). My ex-co-teacher at my last public school, on the other hand, frequently played with her smartphone while sitting at her desk, and when she wasn't doing that, she was napping at her desk. It was always funny whenever the vice-principal occasionally stopped by our office (during the semester when regular classes were in session, not during vacation/deskwarming period) and my ex-co-teacher would scramble to sit up straight from her napping position or quickly put down her phone, in a lame attempt to make it look like she hadn't been slacking off. Ha.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:35:56 AM by Mezoti97 »

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #790 on: July 27, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »

No. Maybe at middle or high school they do, but at elementary school they'd all screech up to the parking lot at the same time I did, then at 5pm they'd be out the door in a flash like a damn cartoon character. They'd teach less classes than me and had like 3 weeks off in both January and August. Compared to the average Korean office job, elementary school teacher must be the cushiest job in the country.

Offline Andy73

• Adventurer
« Reply #791 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:39 PM »

They live in their home country.

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #792 on: July 27, 2016, 11:10:39 PM »
When I was still in Korea (2 years ago) my old VP was very aware of how dumb deskwarming was, but the previous NET had been in a traffic accident when they'd let him out of school instead of deskwaming.  Consequently the office of education cracked down on them and reminded them that the NET HAS to deskwarm.

I was usually able to go home around 3:15pm instead of 4:30 though.

I spent most of the days watching gaming streams and eating candy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:12:20 PM by WestMeetsEast »

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #793 on: July 27, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
When I was still in Korea (2 years ago) my old VP was very aware of how dumb deskwarming was, but the previous NET had been in a traffic accident when they'd let him out of school instead of deskwaming.  Consequently the office of education cracked down on them and reminded them that the NET HAS to deskwarm.

So... why not then keep the NET in school permanently to avoid any further traffic accidents? 

Offline Zaiterade

• Super Waygook
« Reply #794 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »

They live in their home country.
This might not be a pro considering how many young Koreans are constantly complaining about how much they hate their lives (Hell joseon). But maybe you're right. Maybe that's just a minority voice.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #795 on: August 03, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »
I was wondering, how many of you actually do productive things like lesson planning, reading or studying Korean during your desk warming time??

I genuinely start out with great intentions to do something like that in the morning, but after my lunch break I find myself only wanting to screw around on the internet for the final four hours of the day.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #796 on: August 04, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »

So... why not then keep the NET in school permanently to avoid any further traffic accidents?
Probably because after the eight hour workday is finished, they are no longer responsible for you.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #797 on: August 04, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
Anyone here ever come in to school just to show their face, maybe leave your backpack behind and then leave and then come back toward the end of the day to say goodbye?

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #798 on: August 04, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
Anyone here ever come in to school just to show their face, maybe leave your backpack behind and then leave and then come back toward the end of the day to say goodbye?

I used the back entrance to leave and go to the bank for a good two hours. I dont think anyone noticed. ^ ^

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #799 on: August 10, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »

I used the back entrance to leave and go to the bank for a good two hours. I dont think anyone noticed. ^ ^

My school doesn't have a back entrance. What it does have are cameras at the front and a security guard that makes sure only teachers go in during work hours. T.T