October 16, 2018, 01:07:26 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 258700 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #760 on: March 21, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »
I'm in the teacher's office, so during periods of deskwarming, it's usually just me, the secretary, and maybe a random teacher. Sometimes people from the admin office wander in and out (I think they get bored too, lol).

As long as I stay in the school, it seems to be fine. Like sometimes I'll dally upstairs to the music room and play around, nobody seems to mind (my school is pretty chill though).

I do work on lesson planning but I can't do it for hours on end without some breaks in between. So, I play music, read books online (via my home library's Overdrive), and generally derp on the internet to break up the monotony. Sometimes I even call people on Skype* to while the time away or I message my other friends who are also stuck deskwarming. Lol

*I figured it was okay to make phone calls because the secretary makes personal calls (as does anyone else) during deskwarming season. I follow their lead and nobody has complained so far.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]
« Reply #761 on: March 21, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »
I had a question. I'm barely into my first year as a GEPIK teacher and first time in Korea so I'm still trying to understand desk warming ettiquette. What do you guys usually do during this time?

BIG QUESTION: Does your co teacher sit in the same room as you during this time? Me and my co teacher get along very well but we usually sit in complete silence during the "desk warming" periods."

Prepare for lessons, mess around on the internet, do some self study. Some schools don't care if you just lay your head down and take a nap (if others do it, then it's ok)
As for being silent, your co teacher is probably working on something so don't worry. It's completely normal. I once shared an office with my 5 co workers and we would go hours in the afternoon without saying a word.

Offline waygook2016

• Waygookin
Unpaid time off instead of deskwarming... success stories?
« Reply #762 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:56 PM »
I'm only one day into deskwarming and it is making me want to book the next flight home. It's hot, it's sticky, and it's pointless.

I would much rather just lose out on a few hours' pay each day. I'm already teaching three camps. I already have one of the worst locations possible (middle of nowhere, crappy buses, no other foreigners), why can't I have one "perk" at this stupid job?

Has anyone had success asking for unpaid time off in the afternoons? If I could just leave at 2:30 instead of 4:30, my quality of life would improve so much.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: Unpaid time off instead of deskwarming... success stories?
« Reply #763 on: July 25, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »
Just depends on your school. At my school you just have to make a request in NEIS and get it approved (for me it's either the head teacher or the principal). I have requested to leave early like maybe twice so far (not during camp though).

Offline antoniusk

• Veteran
  • Hm?
« Reply #764 on: July 25, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
You're given nothing to do? Or maybe you can do something?

Yeah, deskwarming sucks, especially when you have to go into the middle of nowhere to find nobody else except the administrators and maybe one teacher sitting around chatting and sipping coffee. But this is usually the time when I lesson plan months in advance (especially for the holidays) or just write up a story or something. I find ways to be productive, or unproductive, like YouTubing. Brushing up on Korean or any other language is something you can do.

But I get what you mean. I'm not sure if you were looking for a solution but it sucks having to do something pointless to earn the month's pay.
Gyopo Status

Offline Datasapien

• Super Waygook
  • The sun smells too loud.
« Reply #765 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
It's not ideal, but then again you're getting paid pretty well to do absolutely nothing. I'm sure we all get jealous of people with jobs like that when we're smack in the middle of a busy semester - so try to enjoy it while you can  ;D I know it's frustrating but there's not much we can do about it.

As others have said, you can plan lessons (yeah right :laugh:), study Korean, watch Youtube, read books, sleep, learn a new instrument, study coding ... there's the whole internet at your fingertips :D 화이팅
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #766 on: July 26, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
I usually stick unpaid vacation onto the end of my paid vacation to make it longer.  I've just come to terms with the fact if I want longer holidays then I take the hit of unpaidness.  If you have no classes and no reason to be in school there really is not reason why your school could say that you can't take unpaid vacation. 

The one problem being, that I found out last year is that if your admin is up to speed they can deduct more than the one or two days unpaid.  The reason they give is that 'under Labour Law' if you don't work a full week (not including paid vacation and bank holidays) then you can't be paid for the weekend.  Most admin won't know about this and you could probably get away with it, and according to Labour when I contacted them, the school was perfectly entitled to deduct the weekends too. 

Offline gotngoidea

• Veteran
« Reply #767 on: July 26, 2016, 09:57:35 AM »
If you have sick leave you can take an 'early leave for medical reasons' and visit a hospital/optometrist/dentist/etc and use hours from your sick leave every day.
I get acupuncture so I get to leave at lunch time after my camp hours.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
How do you feel when the principal sees you deskwarm?
« Reply #768 on: July 27, 2016, 09:40:02 AM »
So today is closing day of the spring/summer semester and my principal just walked by and  saw me on my smartphone.  Ummmm.  How does this make you guys feel.  He slowly walked by and I say "안녕하세요" to him.  Other than that I just feel I should have "looked busy." (Forum typing on here give me appearance of busy  :P)   Seriously should I feel some kind of way about this?

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: How do you feel when the principal sees you deskwarm?
« Reply #769 on: July 27, 2016, 09:53:17 AM »
I used to just watch YouTube, make lesson plans, and read. Make sure you have some school books on the desk and you'll be ok.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #770 on: July 27, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
I just cracked the forever21 website and was trying to use my phone to translate the final payment screen when my principal came in. I switched to a random excel page super speedy and 'looked busy' willing him to go away  :-[ He's nice though and I'm sure he doesn't mind.

Ahh the struggles of having your desk in the teacher's lounge facing the two doors.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #771 on: July 27, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
Nurse's room, A/C set on 18, full power, taking a nap on top of my high-thread count sheet placed on top of the bed, as the school bedding is rarely, if ever, washed properly.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #772 on: July 27, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
How do you feel when the principal sees you deskwarm?

All warm and fuzzy inside.  You?

Offline Cndngrrrl222

• Adventurer
« Reply #773 on: July 27, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
I hardly ever see my principal but he is a cool guy. I don't think he would care. However, I think one of my CoT thinks that all I do all day is take naps and do nothing. She has not said anything directly but I don't think she likes it. For the past few days, she has been coming to my office to help me with summer camp things but whenever she comes, she catches me when I just finished a nap so my eyes are still not fully open. She never catches me when I actually do work because when she comes, I'm done work and I'm bored. So one day she comes into my office and she was like 'look into my eyes' and then I realized, she thinks I'm a lazy butt. 

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #774 on: July 27, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
I hardly ever see my principal but he is a cool guy. I don't think he would care. However, I think one of my CoT thinks that all I do all day is take naps and do nothing. She has not said anything directly but I don't think she likes it. For the past few days, she has been coming to my office to help me with summer camp things but whenever she comes, she catches me when I just finished a nap so my eyes are still not fully open. She never catches me when I actually do work because when she comes, I'm done work and I'm bored. So one day she comes into my office and she was like 'look into my eyes' and then I realized, she thinks I'm a lazy butt.

The librarian at my last school was like that.   Yeah the f'en librarian.  One time I was taking a nap under my desk and she came in and woke me up and said "What do?" I was like ummmm excuse me but this is winter vacation time and I'm in here deskwarming, what else was I suppose to "what do."  I was always worried she would snitch on me for napping.  So now I have "learned my lesson" and I stay awake at my current school.....OH but I managed to catch my co-workers head down on desk, full sleep mode, even in open areas in the library.  But god forbid I do that.  A parent might see me  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Zaiterade

• Super Waygook
« Reply #775 on: July 27, 2016, 11:09:30 AM »
I guess I'm lucky, because the other teachers around me always nap and shop online during their downtime. I do what I want, and if anyone gives me a weird look, I glance over at another teacher taking a nap or listening to K-Pop.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #776 on: July 27, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
Why would they care, they know you have nothing to do. All the Korean teachers get way more vacation time though they'll come in randomly to do paperwork. You have way less vacation time and zero paperwork.

I just played video games on my laptop.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #777 on: July 27, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
I have my own office on the third floor and no one except my coteachers ever come in so I don't know? I'm basically in charge of my classes which means I lead all the activities and make all the games and extra stuff so if they don't like that I slack off during down time, too bad for them. I don't think my cos really care though. Half the time they roll in, I'm playing Super Mario on my phone with a Bluetooth controller and no one ever says anything.

Although, the vice came in to the English room for Camp Day 3. He didn't say anything, just looked at the kids doing their crafts, nodded, smiled and left. In the two years I've been here, I don't think he ever once came up here so that was a bit odd.

Offline waygook2016

• Waygookin
« Reply #778 on: July 27, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
I'm currently terrified I'm going to get caught working out in the English room. I've brought my weight set, yoga mat, and a full change of clothes.

They'd probably be more pissed that my tattoo is visible when my hair is up, but whatever.

Offline carolynlou12

• Adventurer
« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:57 AM »
I wave, give a head bow with an 안녕하세요, then back to whatever I'm reading, watching, or shopping for. My principal and vice principal are super easy going and are very aware of how stupid deskwarming is though. They regularly make jokes about how bored I must be. But my regional education office does checks on NETs, so I have to stay until at least 4 every day :rolleyes: