June 22, 2018, 07:00:45 PM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 251329 times)

Offline Mistaloot

• Adventurer
Re: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread
« Reply #720 on: February 10, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
I'm in the same position.  Hasn't been as long as you but I'm so bored!  I have to pretend I'm busy all the time as well as I'm in a big office with about 40 other teachers and the VP.  I'm starting to claw at the walls, I have run out of ways to look busy!

3 more weeks and I'm gone

ChrisKorea

« Reply #721 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:11 AM »
It sucks that you have to look busy. I can pretty much do what I want and it definitely makes for a better deskwarming experience. What exactly do you do to look busy?

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #722 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:48 AM »
It sucks that you have to look busy. I can pretty much do what I want and it definitely makes for a better deskwarming experience. What exactly do you do to look busy?

Luckily, since nobody here knows any English, and my co-teachers are not here, I can fart around on Waygook and look "busy."  YouTube would get me in trouble, as I got caught watching some Korean language-learning videos...

I have some books on PDF that help make me look busy, but having the VP's eyes over my shoulder quite often makes me paranoid. He'll actually randomly walk around and yell at other Korean teachers too. It's a very weird, toxic environment.

You got in trouble for studying Korean? That VP must be a real winner. Hopefully you are not staying another year.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #723 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
How many of you that deskwarm are high school (as in only high school)? I ask because I just got hired at one and when I was explaining my current schedule to one of the Korean teachers at my new school, she asked,"Wait, you go to the school and sit, when there's no school?" Me:"yes." Her:"What do you do there?" Me: "Umm, stare at the screen since all my lesson plans are done and school is basically over." Her:"that's weird."
Is it not common in high school? I know I won't be deskwarming because they told me at the interview so I was wondering if it's all high schools or just certain ones.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Mistaloot

• Adventurer
« Reply #724 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
I have never actually got in trouble.  But I always feel like someone's looking over my shoulder.  I am studying for a music theory exam, but that's waaaay to obviously not English!

So I fart around on waygook and internet forums all day now.  Although I have been getting more daring with youtube the past few weeks and so far not got it in the neck!

ChrisKorea

« Reply #725 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
I've discovered my dream job: sitting doing nothing in an empty building. I can't believe I am being paid almost $2500US this month to watch Real Housewives of Atlanta.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #726 on: February 13, 2015, 07:53:37 AM »
How many of you that deskwarm are high school (as in only high school)? I ask because I just got hired at one and when I was explaining my current schedule to one of the Korean teachers at my new school, she asked,"Wait, you go to the school and sit, when there's no school?" Me:"yes." Her:"What do you do there?" Me: "Umm, stare at the screen since all my lesson plans are done and school is basically over." Her:"that's weird."
Is it not common in high school? I know I won't be deskwarming because they told me at the interview so I was wondering if it's all high schools or just certain ones.
The four years I taught high school I never did deskwarming for a single second.  Further, if I (or anyone) was finished for the day, and thoroughly prepared for the next lesson, I could leave at any time.  One year, I had no classes after lunch on Fridays.  That was sweet.

Offline kjritchhart

• Veteran
  • loving life
« Reply #727 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54:25 AM »
The four years I taught high school I never did deskwarming for a single second.  Further, if I (or anyone) was finished for the day, and thoroughly prepared for the next lesson, I could leave at any time.  One year, I had no classes after lunch on Fridays.  That was sweet.

I also do not deskwarm in my high school.  Super relaxed school.  However, I have friends who teach at another high school in town and they are super strict and she has to desk warm and can't even be a minute late to work or clock out early.  So, it really depends on your school (though it sounds like you will not have to if your new co-teacher thinks it strange).

Offline LeapOver

• Veteran
« Reply #728 on: March 17, 2015, 02:56:37 AM »
How much of your work time is deskwarming time?

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #729 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:16 AM »
How much of your work time is deskwarming time?

Hey! LeapOver's back! Did you get a job yet?

The answer is it varies depending on the school.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #730 on: March 17, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
This is my 3rd year (elementary) so even though we've just changed textbook for 5th and 6th I have good resources for nearly every theme and grammar point. I deskwarm between 2 and 5 hours daily. I'm studying Korean so it's a good opportunity to work on vocab memorization.

Offline LeapOver

• Veteran
« Reply #731 on: March 17, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
This is my 3rd year (elementary) so even though we've just changed textbook for 5th and 6th I have good resources for nearly every theme and grammar point. I deskwarm between 2 and 5 hours daily. I'm studying Korean so it's a good opportunity to work on vocab memorization.

Is not for public school or hagwon?

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #732 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
It's the first day of middle school final exams at my school. Is anybody else deskwarming today?
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #733 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
It's the first day of middle school final exams at my school. Is anybody else deskwarming today?

Kinda. Except that I have 1,200 pages of writing-tests to mark, grades to be handed in by next tuesday. No video games for me!  :sad: :cry:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:04:08 AM by kyndo »

Offline hackedtravel

• Veteran
« Reply #734 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:53 AM »
HS final exams are next week, so classes are canceled for "self-study."

Deskwarming started yesterday for me.... I've only got 1 day left to teach until camp starts on July 23rd.

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #735 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »

Lucky. I have to sit in on all the tests. I do get to go home after lunch though so I guess that is a plus.

Offline JLCutler

• Veteran
« Reply #736 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:04 AM »
HS final exams are next week, so classes are canceled for "self-study."

Deskwarming started yesterday for me.... I've only got 1 day left to teach until camp starts on July 23rd.

Same here. Teaching in high school means months of deskwarming within semesters.

Offline kas3293

• Waygookin
« Reply #737 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »
My high school makes me teach classes during the entire break (excluding vacations of course). The students take a reduced schedule of classes and I have a after school class from 3:30-5 every day. Gives me something to do during the "deskwarming" period.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Deskwarming game suggestions
« Reply #738 on: July 21, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
So it's deskwarming time again -

What are some good online games you play at work to pass the time?

My suggestion - http://agar.io/

Move a circle around collecting other circles whilst trying not to be eaten by bigger circles  :laugh: It's very addictive and infuriating!

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Deskwarming game suggestions
« Reply #739 on: July 21, 2015, 08:21:41 AM »
Pretend You're Xyzzy: http://www.pretendyoure.xyz/zy/

Cards Against Humanity at work FTW!