August 17, 2018, 05:15:27 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 254763 times)

Offline gagevt

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?!
« Reply #700 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
I also don't buy the accepted wisdom that deskwarming was made mandatory for all after a few malcontents hassled higher ups out of jealousy. It doesn't make sense. Why would someone go to their POE to compare their situation to other teachers? It would be like complaining that teacher X got a nicer apartment than them with a bigger bed. There is nothing in the contract to back them up so why bother? Also, why would EPIK/GEPIK put out a blanket order simply because they don't want to  take a few calls and fob off some whiners?

When I first started teaching at a public school in Korea several years ago, I was told by the NET whom I was replacing that the MOE/POE where we worked for was, at that time, the only MOE/POE that required the NETs to deskwarm when the NETs are not on vacation or teaching camp classes. A friend of mine who came to teach at a public school at the same time as me but at a different MOE/POE never had to deskwarm, but she heard that her MOE/POE would start implementing the mandatory deskwarming rule after she left Korea (which was a few years after we started teaching in Korea), and now it's the norm pretty much everywhere (public school-wise in Korea). Also, a former coordinator who used to work at a MOE/POE confirmed to me that people (other NETs) complained about how some NETs didn't have to deskwarm while others did, hence how the deskwarming policy became the norm and now applies to pretty much all NETs at public schools in Korea.

That is really a tragic state of affairs for all concerned. Adults actually whined about the fact that others had perks and adults responded by taking all the perks. It all boils down to me having to deskwarm because both NETs and Korean officials have missed some developmental stage in their lives.

Yes it's called the "snitches get stitches" phase.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
Re: The Official Deskwarming Thread
« Reply #701 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »
Let's keep this thread going. Anger (and a couple of space heaters) keeps me warm.

I guess this is the cabin fever talking but I'm going to rant anyway. I want to share a little secret to all those posters who have come up with suggestions on how to make the best of our time in purgatory. To all those who tell us we could work on ourselves personally and professionally. To those that think that being paid to do nothing is something we should see as a blessing. The reason we are deskwarming is the same reason you are wrong. No one cares.

Of course I could plan every lesson for the coming year with customized materials. Once I have done that I could maybe learn sign language or how to read braille. Maybe I could read Camus and wonder what Spinoza would have made of him and then write an essay on that. I could practice simple magic tricks that would keep my kids focused and give me a neat attention grabber at parties. I could do some yoga or use my room as an ad hoc gym I could do all that and be a great teacher and human being but no one cares.

I could pluck all the hair on the left side of my body just to see if it gets colder when clothed. I could draw comic books where all the staff in my school meet sadistic ends. I could rig up a cot, become a party man and sleep it off at school. I could set up a fake facebook account and use it to stalk and harass some old flame of mine or just random strangers. I could drop a couple of peppermint teabags in a flask of vodka and get blasted all day. That would make me a slacker and and a first grade prick but no one cares.

This is why I hate deskwarming. It makes me aware how no one cares how well I do or if the students are learning. We are strippers deluding themselves that it's all about the dance moves and how acrobatic our pole moves are. Will anyone in the MOE ever read my large collection of lesson plans? No because no one cares. Will I be asked to attend regular training sessions then test on it. No because no one cares. Do I get frequently and randomly inspected by people who know what an English class should look like? No because no one cares. Do I even have to fill in some sort of yearly self assessment that would be mainly self aggrandizing bollocks anyway? No because no one cares.

Deskwarming is when we see what our real job description is. Not the one on recruiters' websites or job ads. He one the higher-ups have decided a long time ago. Show up and shut up. Make sure the parents know your name and think we have done something for their kids. Whatever you do don't bother us. We're busy.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #702 on: January 03, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »
Use this time to develop some sort of skill. I used the desk warming time to brush up on my Excel, VBA, and PowerPoint skills which helped me immensely for work when I returned home.
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline kalique

• Newgookin
« Reply #703 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:13 AM »
Did you know that deskwarming is actually the world's most dangerous job?
Sure, you could learn a new skill or do something productive, but here are the ways in which we are actually just fighting for our lives while deskwarming:  :wink:

http://kaleenaskaleidoscope.com/deskwarming-worlds-dangerous-job/

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #704 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
I like to sit at my desk and read all the articles about how dangerous sitting is and how my chair is killing me.  :wink:

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20110112/sitting-down-too-long-bad-health

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/expert-answers/sitting/faq-20058005

http://lifehacker.com/this-graphic-explains-all-the-health-hazards-of-sitting-1595834900

Seriously, though, I do get up and walk, stretch, jump, etc.

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?!
« Reply #705 on: January 30, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
I also don't buy the accepted wisdom that deskwarming was made mandatory for all after a few malcontents hassled higher ups out of jealousy. It doesn't make sense. Why would someone go to their POE to compare their situation to other teachers? It would be like complaining that teacher X got a nicer apartment than them with a bigger bed. There is nothing in the contract to back them up so why bother? Also, why would EPIK/GEPIK put out a blanket order simply because they don't want to  take a few calls and fob off some whiners?

When I first started teaching at a public school in Korea several years ago, I was told by the NET whom I was replacing that the MOE/POE where we worked for was, at that time, the only MOE/POE that required the NETs to deskwarm when the NETs are not on vacation or teaching camp classes. A friend of mine who came to teach at a public school at the same time as me but at a different MOE/POE never had to deskwarm, but she heard that her MOE/POE would start implementing the mandatory deskwarming rule after she left Korea (which was a few years after we started teaching in Korea), and now it's the norm pretty much everywhere (public school-wise in Korea). Also, a former coordinator who used to work at a MOE/POE confirmed to me that people (other NETs) complained about how some NETs didn't have to deskwarm while others did, hence how the deskwarming policy became the norm and now applies to pretty much all NETs at public schools in Korea.

That is really a tragic state of affairs for all concerned. Adults actually whined about the fact that others had perks and adults responded by taking all the perks. It all boils down to me having to deskwarm because both NETs and Korean officials have missed some developmental stage in their lives.

Yes it's called the "snitches get stitches" phase.

There should be some type of standard within MOEs.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #706 on: January 30, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Thank god for video games and space heaters.

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #707 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »

Thank god for these budget cuts  :laugh:

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #708 on: January 30, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »

Thank god for these budget cuts  :laugh:

It's so amusing how you're such a try-hard and how you think you're so much smarter and better than everyone else on here when in reality, you're far from it.

I take it you  came to Korea with a healthy bottle of lube to  make it easier when you bend over every day?

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #709 on: January 30, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
Ouch........

Offline emilprice

• Adventurer
« Reply #710 on: January 30, 2015, 04:20:14 PM »
Let's keep this thread going. Anger (and a couple of space heaters) keeps me warm.

I guess this is the cabin fever talking but I'm going to rant anyway. I want to share a little secret to all those posters who have come up with suggestions on how to make the best of our time in purgatory. To all those who tell us we could work on ourselves personally and professionally. To those that think that being paid to do nothing is something we should see as a blessing. The reason we are deskwarming is the same reason you are wrong. No one cares.

Of course I could plan every lesson for the coming year with customized materials. Once I have done that I could maybe learn sign language or how to read braille. Maybe I could read Camus and wonder what Spinoza would have made of him and then write an essay on that. I could practice simple magic tricks that would keep my kids focused and give me a neat attention grabber at parties. I could do some yoga or use my room as an ad hoc gym I could do all that and be a great teacher and human being but no one cares.

I could pluck all the hair on the left side of my body just to see if it gets colder when clothed. I could draw comic books where all the staff in my school meet sadistic ends. I could rig up a cot, become a party man and sleep it off at school. I could set up a fake facebook account and use it to stalk and harass some old flame of mine or just random strangers. I could drop a couple of peppermint teabags in a flask of vodka and get blasted all day. That would make me a slacker and and a first grade prick but no one cares.

This is why I hate deskwarming. It makes me aware how no one cares how well I do or if the students are learning. We are strippers deluding themselves that it's all about the dance moves and how acrobatic our pole moves are. Will anyone in the MOE ever read my large collection of lesson plans? No because no one cares. Will I be asked to attend regular training sessions then test on it. No because no one cares. Do I get frequently and randomly inspected by people who know what an English class should look like? No because no one cares. Do I even have to fill in some sort of yearly self assessment that would be mainly self aggrandizing bollocks anyway? No because no one cares.

Deskwarming is when we see what our real job description is. Not the one on recruiters' websites or job ads. He one the higher-ups have decided a long time ago. Show up and shut up. Make sure the parents know your name and think we have done something for their kids. Whatever you do don't bother us. We're busy.

Most of the posts on this site just annoy me or make me face palm.

This one was golden. Absolute gold.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #711 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:36 AM »
I only had to desk warm for a few days so far. To update everyone on my clothing situation I wore business casual but I wore my winter coat over top because it was so cold. So I sat in the empty office in my suit jacket and dress shirt but covered up in the big coat zipped up. I hope I impressed someone and gave foreigners a good name.

Offline Chrism_D

• Waygookin
« Reply #712 on: January 31, 2015, 06:16:50 AM »
Hi all!

I am headed to Korea next month and was browsing this thread a little. It is incredibly lengthy so I only skimmed bits and pieces. That said, I have a question:

How much time (generally speaking) do you find yourself deskwarming? In late 2014 / early 2015 to keep it current.

I'll be at a public school in GOE and while I will work 9-5, I also have Elementary, Middle, and High schools to worry about. I get the feeling I won't be doing that much deskwarming.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:39:34 AM by Chrism_D »

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #713 on: January 31, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Hi all!

I am headed to Korea next month and was browsing this thread a little. It is incredibly lengthy so I only skimmed bits and pieces. That said, I have a question:

How much time (generally speaking) do you find yourself deskwarming? In late 2014 / early 2015 to keep it current.

I'll be at a public school in GOE and while I will work 9-5, I also have Elementary, Middle, and High schools to worry about. I get the feeling I won't be doing that much deskwarming.

Thanks!

Totally depends on your school and the people who run it. You won't find out until you get here.

Basically schools here shut down for all of August and all of January. You will pretty definitely have to do camps, which last one or two weeks. And you'll have about two weeks of vacation in each. Any leftover days you'll have to deskwarm unless your school lets you go home early.

It's not bad and I don't get why people complain so much about it. You're getting paid to do nothing which is way better than having to do actual work or not getting paid. It's way better than doing an extra week of camp. Worst part is the lack of proper heating and a/c.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:08:54 PM by MayorHaggar »

Offline Chrism_D

• Waygookin
« Reply #714 on: February 01, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mayor. And I am with you, I don't understand why people complain about it either.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #715 on: February 02, 2015, 09:11:47 PM »
This is off-topic:

I am all for people having any opinion they want, but why do people online use language like "shut up" and other mean-spirited ways of saying things, things they would never say to strangers if face-to-face? It demonstrates a lot of immaturity.
Uh, no.  I would just say that exactly as I wrote it, because, it was, you know, meant kind of as a (not-entirely) good-natured jibe.  That is, people who carp and whine absolutely need to do exactly what I said.  It doesn't advance them at all, and it's cost me thousands of dollars in lost wages over the years.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #716 on: February 03, 2015, 02:15:16 AM »
This is off-topic:

I am all for people having any opinion they want, but why do people online use language like "shut up" and other mean-spirited ways of saying things, things they would never say to strangers if face-to-face? It demonstrates a lot of immaturity.
Uh, no.  I would just say that exactly as I wrote it, because, it was, you know, meant kind of as a (not-entirely) good-natured jibe.  That is, people who carp and whine absolutely need to do exactly what I said.  It doesn't advance them at all, and it's cost me thousands of dollars in lost wages over the years.

You could have communicated the same information in a more professional manner (I am referring to your post in December, not your recent one above).

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #717 on: February 03, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
It's not bad and I don't get why people complain so much about it.
Yeah, I hear you.

It all began from people comparing their experiences, rather than recognizing and accepting that each school was unique and different.

Fortunately, our principals still have a bit of flexibility.

At our teachers' meeting yesterday, the cost of heating the school during the winter break was brought up (we got a huge bill)...it wasn't my doing, but a simple solution would be to NOT have classes during the coldest months of the year or require teachers to stay at school  :wink:

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #718 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
This is off-topic:

You could have communicated the same information in a more professional manner (I am referring to your post in December, not your recent one above).
Well, if you're the professionalism police, you've missed quite a lot.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
This is off-topic:

Well, if you're the professionalism police, you've missed quite a lot.

I merely commented on the language I experienced in this thread.