December 11, 2018, 03:29:12 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264610 times)

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?
« Reply #680 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Sarcasm or not, these are the types of things contributing to the country wide cutting of NETs.

Crap like this that I read makes me laugh at those of you who will get cut/not renewed.

Ok I have a genuine question - What do you think NETs should be doing during this time?

I haven't experienced it yet but i'm curious... it seems to me that teachers are left in their schools, alone, with nothing really to do other than whatever they decide to do themselves. So why not wear comfy clothes and have hot chocolate and watch films? (The pjs are probably a bit far!)

ChrisKorea

« Reply #681 on: December 22, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
Would Carl Kwan approve of telling people to shut up on message boards?

Carl Kwan is the almighty. Kwanism states that he watches over us from above (north), making sure that at least the folks of JLP learns that complaining on message boards is a waste of time (and frankly, the reply on these threads a waste of time as well). Thereby we don't contribute to the growing mass of very pointless complaints already found here.

You need to follow your own advice.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #682 on: December 22, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »

Carl Kwan is the almighty. Kwanism states that he watches over us from above (north), making sure that at least the folks of JLP learns that complaining on message boards is a waste of time (and frankly, the reply on these threads a waste of time as well). Thereby we don't contribute to the growing mass of very pointless complaints already found here.

As I don't remember most of what I post, here's a project for you!

If you can find a lot of posts from me that shows me complaining about Korean lifestyle (especially about things that they already warned us about in the orientation we both took TOGETHER), then I'll gladly take my own advice and shut up.
Open your mind.

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #683 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
I deskwarmed last Spring break, and basically just sat in my pjs and watched movies all day because I was the only one at school. This year, the new principal is making me teach camp those days. I would take deskwarming any day over more camp days.

sounds super comfy. thanks for the idea (sitting in pjs I thinkk I'll buy myself hot chocolate to sip on), will use it if I get hit with deskwarming, and I probably will.

Sarcasm or not, these are the types of things contributing to the country wide cutting of NETs.

Crap like this that I read makes me laugh at those of you who will get cut/not renewed.

Scene 1: A meeting room in a government building. Prominent Taegukgi and educational posters in background.

Boss man: Let's run through it one more time. Have we managed to allocate fund according to national directives on educational spending?

Flunky 1: Yes sir.

Boss man: Have we managed to reconcile these with the competing directives of our local masters who have a different ideological outlook?

Flunky 2: Yes sir.

Boss man: Have we carefully looked at what at the Korean teachers Union have told us as well as predicted any potential backlash from parents and concomitant political fallout?

Flunky 3: Yes sir.

Boss man: Have me managed to ensure a fair distribution of those resources in a way that would assist students from rural or deprived backgrounds?

Flunky 1 and 3: Yes sir

Boss man: Then it is done. Contact the affected schools to inform them of.........

Flunky 2 (looking up from smartphone with a shocked expression): Sir, sir! Some foreign teachers are joking around on an obscure website about what they will do during the upcoming vacation!

Boss man (staring into the distance): Cut. Them. All

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #684 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
I deskwarmed last Spring break, and basically just sat in my pjs and watched movies all day because I was the only one at school. This year, the new principal is making me teach camp those days. I would take deskwarming any day over more camp days.

sounds super comfy. thanks for the idea (sitting in pjs I thinkk I'll buy myself hot chocolate to sip on), will use it if I get hit with deskwarming, and I probably will.

I will make sure to come in my suit and tie to an empty school so you won't laugh at me.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #685 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »

As I don't remember most of what I post, here's a project for you!

If you can find a lot of posts from me that shows me complaining about Korean lifestyle (especially about things that they already warned us about in the orientation we both took TOGETHER), then I'll gladly take my own advice and shut up.

It is bewildering that you would demonstrate such a bad attitude on a public message board towards someone who knows you personally and never showed you any animosity.

Offline Rumbledy Hump

• Super Waygook
« Reply #686 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

I will make sure to come in my suit and tie to an empty school so you won't laugh at me.

The distance between pjs and a suit is vast. 
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #687 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read on this board. Stuff like that has very little if nothing at all to do with NETs getting cut. Keep up with the times fella.

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #688 on: December 22, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »

The distance between pjs and a suit is vast.

You're right, it is vast. But typically I wear a suit jacket, dress shirt, and pants. Tie is only once a week or so. So, taking some time when I'm not teaching any classes during deskwarming to wear more casual clothing sounds good. To say that someone like me dressing down is causing bad reputation among NETS is laughable and outright hyperbole.

For me PJs are track pants and a casual shirt.

Offline drgenderpotato

• Expert Waygook
  • butts
« Reply #689 on: December 22, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
This thread got funny as hell.

Also, I agree with khalavalashammalammadingdong, what we wear (provided it's neither dirty nor obscene) doesn't really matter. Hell, I'm the only teacher in my school who almost never wears jeans or track pants! For me to dress down, I'd basically have to wear stripper pasties and a clown nose, and it's waaaay too cold for that nonsense.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #690 on: December 22, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »

Also, I agree with khalavalashammalammadingdong, what we wear (provided it's neither dirty nor obscene) doesn't really matter. Hell, I'm the only teacher in my school who almost never wears jeans or track pants! For me to dress down, I'd basically have to wear stripper pasties and a clown nose, and it's waaaay too cold for that nonsense.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Open your mind.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?!
« Reply #691 on: December 22, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »

I also don't buy the accepted wisdom that deskwarming was made mandatory for all after a few malcontents hassled higher ups out of jealousy. It doesn't make sense. Why would someone go to their POE to compare their situation to other teachers? It would be like complaining that teacher X got a nicer apartment than them with a bigger bed. There is nothing in the contract to back them up so why bother? Also, why would EPIK/GEPIK put out a blanket order simply because they don't want to  take a few calls and fob off some whiners?

Oh, you'd be surprised.  When I first started with SMOE it was completely different at every school.  Some had camps, some didn't, some deskwarmed, some were sent off to other cities to do overnight camps.  It was totally a crapshoot.  At my school at the time I had to do camps every day I was not on official vacation (and without Saturday classes back then breaks were much longer).  If we ran out of students they'd ship me off to another school for the mornings and then call my office to make sure I was back at my desk after lunch.  Then in the afternoons I had my usual afternoon classes, and any extra stuff they decided to throw my way (hey you, look after these kids for an hour while their moms go shopping).  I didn't have a budget, resources, co-teachers, or even electricity most days.  Just me and 25 screaming 1st and 2nd graders on my first day of camp.  Then the moms came in and demanded I spend time with each one of them talking about their kid EVERY DAY over lunch.  Never mind I didn't speak a word of Korean at the time. 

Meanwhile the NSET at the school next door had the entire break off.  Every break.  I remember walking to the subway once with her while she complained about not getting the exact dates of her 2 month winter break so airfares to Thailand might go up.  The horror! 

I knew life was unfair and that by complaining it would resolve nothing.  I expected to be doing what I was doing (camp) during breaks before I started (research!) so that didn't bother me.  I just didn't expect others to have it so easy. 

I knew people who had camps every day like me who made it a point to email and phone SMOE to complain.  Some would complain to their schools.  When we still had to do interviews for renewal three people at my group interview brought it up.  I don't know for sure if this is why they changed the rules, but it sure didn't help.  Unless your school is doing something illegal, you just shouldn't compare your situation to other places.  You're hired to teach 22 classes/week and be at school 8 hours a day except for holidays and vacation days.  Anything less than that is gravy. 

I did switch to another school where I'm at now which was soooooooo much more relaxed.  The teacher before me just laughed and assured me I'd have a great time (and I have).  But of course that was the same year SMOE started making 3 week camps mandatory and telling schools not to let us leave early.  My school is still cool, but it kind of irks me when I hear newbies whining on here about how they have to do camps.  Child, I put my time in and it's because of complainers like that that I don't get the rewards of that suffering today.  But my job is still pretty cool and camp is much better at this school (and with experience).  PS jobs are still going to hell in this country, but for now they're still not that bad.  If people don't want to deskwarm I'm sure their school would be more than happy to arrange extra classes or duties for them during that time.  Or they can shut up and watch movies in their pjs like others have suggested (as I said, often I didn't have electricity for camps or deskwarming.  One summer in particular I got a LOT of reading done, and lost some weight from sweating). 

Pro tip: if you commute to school, often they will be ok with you coming a bit later to miss rush hour.  At least my first (very strict) school was, and school's I've heard of.  Worth inquiring about, in a very informal friendly way of course.  Don't expect it. 

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #692 on: December 23, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
Stop complaining. These are the types of threads that make me wonder about people's (home country) work ethic.

People in my home country aren't required to come in and do naff all for a couple of weeks. Teachers are trusted to do the work they need to do in the vacation.
Hmmm.  That may be true where you come from, but certainly not the case for American teachers.  We are neither "trusted" nor expected to work during our vacation. The only exception, really, is people who take coursework in summer school to keep their cert. current.   Most teacher contracts are "nine-month"; administrators aree often "eleven-month".

Generally, school starts for teachers a week or so before it does for students so teachers can get their act together.  And that is time for which teachers in America are paid.  We don't work during the summer beecause we're not paid to.

That's how "deskwarming" is different--we are being paid.

Thanks, Mr C. I did not know how it worked in the US. In the UK teachers are paid year round. They are expected to prep next year's lesson and plough through a mountain of paperwork during the vacation.
But, if they're getting paid, and they have wortk to do, it isn't really "vacation", is it?  I mean, it may be for the students, but not for people getting paid ...
As for deskwarming, I agree it is futile to complain about it and it's not a hardship. Then again, being required to wear a purple beanie hat would not be a hardship but it would still annoy me.
Some people talk about watching movies or sleeping (or even learning Korean), but last time I did deskwarming, I found I had plenty to do:  retooling materials for the new textbooks, organizing, finding/creating materials, improving strategies ... and I've been teaching since before some people on this board were born.
What is worth discussing is how deskwarming could be indicative of a wider problem. GEPIK/EPIK has been around for a while now but it still feels that they are not sure what to do with us. Surely it would not be beyond the wit of man to harmonize camps and set up meaningful training for the rest of the time. Ensure all NETs get to take their mandated leave in a specific time period.
I agree with you 100%.  Until a couple of years ago, SMOE used to do "in-service" about twice a year which took us away from our classes for a day or two, while we sat around in February with not-a-damn-thing-to-do.
I also don't buy the accepted wisdom that deskwarming was made mandatory for all after a few malcontents hassled higher ups out of jealousy. It doesn't make sense. Why would someone go to their POE to compare their situation to other teachers? It would be like complaining that teacher X got a nicer apartment than them with a bigger bed. There is nothing in the contract to back them up so why bother? Also, why would EPIK/GEPIK put out a blanket order simply because they don't want to  take a few calls and fob off some whiners?
Well, as one who has been here long enough to watch this develop, and to occasionally talk to some of the "decision-makers" and their minions, I can say that whining and moaning to <insert name> is exactly what has resulted in the iron-clad weeks of camp rule, deskwarming, etc.  Furthermore, I used to get paid the same "extra money" as Korean teachers for my camps.  But some people who didn't get this bonus complained, obviously hoping to get the money shifted their way too (even though it's a contractual obligation).  The upshot was, they still didn't get paid extra, but then neither did I. 

And that, children, is why you need to shut the folk up!

ChrisKorea

Re: The Official Deskwarming Thread
« Reply #693 on: December 23, 2014, 05:51:47 AM »
This is off-topic:

I am all for people having any opinion they want, but why do people online use language like "shut up" and other mean-spirited ways of saying things, things they would never say to strangers if face-to-face? It demonstrates a lot of immaturity.

Offline Rumbledy Hump

• Super Waygook
« Reply #694 on: December 23, 2014, 07:25:47 AM »

You'd be surprised by how much warmth is afforded by a well made clown nose.
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

Offline Morfee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #695 on: December 23, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
This is off-topic:

I am all for people having any opinion they want, but why do people online use language like "shut up" and other mean-spirited ways of saying things, things they would never say to strangers if face-to-face? It demonstrates a lot of immaturity.

Keyboard warriors. People can hide behind a username and let their real thoughts and feelings out. Kinda a release from reality I guess. This forum in particular seems to have a lot of pent up rage and anti-Korean sentiment, which is strange given that they CHOSE to live here. Ho Hum.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #696 on: December 23, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »

When I first started teaching at a public school in Korea several years ago, I was told by the NET whom I was replacing that the MOE/POE where we worked for was, at that time, the only MOE/POE that required the NETs to deskwarm when the NETs are not on vacation or teaching camp classes. A friend of mine who came to teach at a public school at the same time as me but at a different MOE/POE never had to deskwarm, but she heard that her MOE/POE would start implementing the mandatory deskwarming rule after she left Korea (which was a few years after we started teaching in Korea), and now it's the norm pretty much everywhere (public school-wise in Korea). Also, a former coordinator who used to work at a MOE/POE confirmed to me that people (other NETs) complained about how some NETs didn't have to deskwarm while others did, hence how the deskwarming policy became the norm and now applies to pretty much all NETs at public schools in Korea.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:36:49 AM by Mezoti97 »

ChrisKorea

« Reply #697 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
This is off-topic:

Keyboard warriors. People can hide behind a username and let their real thoughts and feelings out. Kinda a release from reality I guess. This forum in particular seems to have a lot of pent up rage and anti-Korean sentiment, which is strange given that they CHOSE to live here. Ho Hum.

I can understand people having pent-up rage and anti-Korean sentiment (after all, they may choose to live here because of the money even though they may hate other aspects of Korean culture), and I can even understand them needing to vent their frustrations in a forum where other like minded people can empathize with them. I vent here myself, from time to time, but I would like to think that for the most part, I can express my frustrations in a professional and productive manner. I don't try to shut people down or disrespect their opinions. I just don't think that a public message board for teachers is the place for the mean-spirited attitudes I have seen here.

Offline Morfee

• Super Waygook
« Reply #698 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »
This is off-topic:

I can understand people having pent-up rage and anti-Korean sentiment (after all, they may choose to live here because of the money even though they may hate other aspects of Korean culture), and I can even understand them needing to vent their frustrations in a forum where other like minded people can empathize with them. I vent here myself, from time to time, but I would like to think that for the most part, I can express my frustrations in a professional and productive manner. I don't try to shut people down or disrespect their opinions. I just don't think that a public message board for teachers is the place for the mean-spirited attitudes I have seen here.

I hadn't thought of some of those points, you're probably right. I guess this might go to the heart of it though: We're all from very different background and have wildly different views on things like politics and culture, so sometimes that may be a contributing factor.

I do agree though, sometimes things just go way out of hand, threads get derailed completely on a small issue/point, and people take things personally and get very petty.

All the ex-pats from all nationalities I've met in my time here have been lovely. It's bizarre that the atmosphere is so different here.

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #699 on: December 23, 2014, 10:31:07 AM »

When I first started teaching at a public school in Korea several years ago, I was told by the NET whom I was replacing that the MOE/POE where we worked for was, at that time, the only MOE/POE that required the NETs to deskwarm when the NETs are not on vacation or teaching camp classes. A friend of mine who came to teach at a public school at the same time as me but at a different MOE/POE never had to deskwarm, but she heard that her MOE/POE would start implementing the mandatory deskwarming rule after she left Korea (which was a few years after we started teaching in Korea), and now it's the norm pretty much everywhere (public school-wise in Korea). Also, a former coordinator who used to work at a MOE/POE confirmed to me that people (other NETs) complained about how some NETs didn't have to deskwarm while others did, hence how the deskwarming policy became the norm and now applies to pretty much all NETs at public schools in Korea.

That is really a tragic state of affairs for all concerned. Adults actually whined about the fact that others had perks and adults responded by taking all the perks. It all boils down to me having to deskwarm because both NETs and Korean officials have missed some developmental stage in their lives.