May 28, 2018, 03:24:31 AM

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 244392 times)

Offline Morfee

• Super Waygook
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?!
« Reply #660 on: December 22, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »
Thought this was standard protocol.

It is.

I guess OP just got lucky and was given the time off previously, but most teachers spend Spring Vacation deskwarming.  I feel like it is a plot to make you look forward to the beginning of the new school year for something to do.

It's because some people had to do 1-2 weeks of holiday camps in the winter/summer vacation period, and others didn't. Those that did have 'extra' work to do inundated EPIK and the POEs with phonecalls and emails crying about how bad their situation was compared to X, Y and Z persons who were off skiiing/in Thailand/etc.

EPIK and the education offices got tired and made the rules rigid and strict - You get 18/20 days off a year, that's it. Rest will be in school and to hell with the fact that you have nothing to do.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #661 on: December 22, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
This is on the same level as the other thread about cold, "horrible working conditions". It amazes me how little (in this case, VERY little) research people do before they start a new job. I think 99% of posts you'd find about teaching in Korea talks about deskwarming.
Open your mind.

Offline ohitsgary

• Veteran
« Reply #662 on: December 22, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
This is on the same level as the other thread about cold, "horrible working conditions". It amazes me how little (in this case, VERY little) research people do before they start a new job. I think 99% of posts you'd find about teaching in Korea talks about deskwarming.
Mr Tang, I was comparing my current situation with the one I had last year.

Thought this was standard protocol.

It is.

I guess OP just got lucky and was given the time off previously, but most teachers spend Spring Vacation deskwarming.  I feel like it is a plot to make you look forward to the beginning of the new school year for something to do.

Right.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:39:45 PM by ohitsgary »

Offline Rumbledy Hump

• Super Waygook
« Reply #663 on: December 22, 2014, 12:42:41 PM »
But how do I know what to lick and what not to lick?

Offline baphomet

• Veteran
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?
« Reply #664 on: December 22, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
Everyone who complains about desk warming needs to shut up.  You literally get paid to do nothing.  Deal with it

Offline ConservativeCat

• Adventurer
  • American - Public School
« Reply #665 on: December 22, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
I was bummed at first when I heard about the desk warming - but truly, it isn't so bad. I'm actually looking forward to it now. It's a good chance to bone up on my Korean, get my lesson planning out of the way for the rest of the school year and, worse comes to worse, I can just play a game on my laptop.

Steam winter sale and all.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #666 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
Everyone who complains about desk warming needs to shut up.  You literally get paid to do nothing.  Deal with it

This is absolutely right. But today, oh my God, all my classes are cancelled and I forgot my personal computer for writing. Why can't I just go home?! I know, I'm being paid, but sometimes it's too much.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #667 on: December 22, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Also note that lunar new year will eat 3 of those 10 days (Feb 18-20). 

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #668 on: December 22, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »

Offline kimallow

• Waygookin
« Reply #669 on: December 22, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
I deskwarmed last Spring break, and basically just sat in my pjs and watched movies all day because I was the only one at school. This year, the new principal is making me teach camp those days. I would take deskwarming any day over more camp days.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #670 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

This is absolutely right. But today, oh my God, all my classes are cancelled and I forgot my personal computer for writing. Why can't I just go home?! I know, I'm being paid, but sometimes it's too much.

As you've agreed with the post above you, you should follow it's advice. You need to shut up.
Open your mind.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #671 on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
Stop complaining. These are the types of threads that make me wonder about people's (home country) work ethic.

People in my home country aren't required to come in and do naff all for a couple of weeks. Teachers are trusted to do the work they need to do in the vacation.
Hmmm.  That may be true where you come from, but certainly not the case for American teachers.  We are neither "trusted" nor expected to work during our vacation. The only exception, really, is people who take coursework in summer school to keep their cert. current.   Most teacher contracts are "nine-month"; administrators aree often "eleven-month".

Generally, school starts for teachers a week or so before it does for students so teachers can get their act together.  And that is time for which teachers in America are paid.  We don't work during the summer beecause we're not paid to.

That's how "deskwarming" is different--we are being paid.

Offline ajr30

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #672 on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:54 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:46:51 PM by ajr30 »

Offline khalavala

• Expert Waygook
  • joecitizenhoe ask about me
« Reply #673 on: December 22, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »
I deskwarmed last Spring break, and basically just sat in my pjs and watched movies all day because I was the only one at school. This year, the new principal is making me teach camp those days. I would take deskwarming any day over more camp days.

sounds super comfy. thanks for the idea (sitting in pjs I thinkk I'll buy myself hot chocolate to sip on), will use it if I get hit with deskwarming, and I probably will.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #674 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:19 PM »

As you've agreed with the post above you, you should follow it's advice. You need to shut up.

Um, wow. Seeing as I know who you are that's a pretty stupid thing to say.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:14:34 PM by ChrisKorea »

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #675 on: December 22, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »
Stop complaining. These are the types of threads that make me wonder about people's (home country) work ethic.

People in my home country aren't required to come in and do naff all for a couple of weeks. Teachers are trusted to do the work they need to do in the vacation.
Hmmm.  That may be true where you come from, but certainly not the case for American teachers.  We are neither "trusted" nor expected to work during our vacation. The only exception, really, is people who take coursework in summer school to keep their cert. current.   Most teacher contracts are "nine-month"; administrators aree often "eleven-month".

Generally, school starts for teachers a week or so before it does for students so teachers can get their act together.  And that is time for which teachers in America are paid.  We don't work during the summer beecause we're not paid to.

That's how "deskwarming" is different--we are being paid.

Thanks, Mr C. I did not know how it worked in the US. In the UK teachers are paid year round. They are expected to prep next year's lesson and plough through a mountain of paperwork during the vacation.

As for deskwarming, I agree it is futile to complain about it and it's not a hardship. Then again, being required to wear a purple beanie hat would not be a hardship but it would still annoy me.

What is worth discussing is how deskwarming could be indicative of a wider problem. GEPIK/EPIK has been around for a while now but it still feels that they are not sure what to do with us. Surely it would not be beyond the wit of man to harmonize camps and set up meaningful training for the rest of the time. Ensure all NETs get to take their mandated leave in a specific time period.

I also don't buy the accepted wisdom that deskwarming was made mandatory for all after a few malcontents hassled higher ups out of jealousy. It doesn't make sense. Why would someone go to their POE to compare their situation to other teachers? It would be like complaining that teacher X got a nicer apartment than them with a bigger bed. There is nothing in the contract to back them up so why bother? Also, why would EPIK/GEPIK put out a blanket order simply because they don't want to  take a few calls and fob off some whiners?

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #676 on: December 22, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »

You yourself agreed that "Everyone who complains about desk warming needs to shut up". I am simply agreeing with you about your agreement.

Knowing who I am does not make what I say "stupid". Since you know who I am, it means you most likely watched Carl Kwan Videos. Take his advice if not mine: "Don't complain on message boards, there are enough people who do that already".

If you want an alternative to your problem, apply for unpaid vacation.

If you are simply looking for advice on something to do with your time, learn some Korean, or do what I"m doing and learn some coding.

www.codecademy.com
Open your mind.

ChrisKorea

« Reply #677 on: December 22, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »

You yourself agreed that "Everyone who complains about desk warming needs to shut up". I am simply agreeing with you about your agreement.

Knowing who I am does not make what I say "stupid". Since you know who I am, it means you most likely watched Carl Kwan Videos. Take his advice if not mine: "Don't complain on message boards, there are enough people who do that already".

If you want an alternative to your problem, apply for unpaid vacation.

If you are simply looking for advice on something to do with your time, learn some Korean, or do what I"m doing and learn some coding.

www.codecademy.com

Would Carl Kwan approve of telling people to shut up on message boards?

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #678 on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »

sounds super comfy. thanks for the idea (sitting in pjs I thinkk I'll buy myself hot chocolate to sip on), will use it if I get hit with deskwarming, and I probably will.

Sarcasm or not, these are the types of things contributing to the country wide cutting of NETs.

Crap like this that I read makes me laugh at those of you who will get cut/not renewed.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #679 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »
Would Carl Kwan approve of telling people to shut up on message boards?

Carl Kwan is the almighty. Kwanism states that he watches over us from above (north), making sure that at least the folks of JLP learns that complaining on message boards is a waste of time (and frankly, the reply on these threads a waste of time as well). Thereby we don't contribute to the growing mass of very pointless complaints already found here.

Open your mind.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018