December 13, 2018, 11:24:27 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 264900 times)

Offline moc-moc-a-moc!

• Super Waygook
Re: The Official Deskwarming Thread
« Reply #640 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
Plus, if we sign the same contract, why am I sitting at school freezing and alone while they are at home (or on extended vacation)?

Edit: by they I mean other NETs.

Some people are luckier than others. All you accomplish by complaining is make it less likely the other people will be allowed to stay at home.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #641 on: February 03, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
Plus, if we sign the same contract, why am I sitting at school freezing and alone while they are at home (or on extended vacation)?

Some people are luckier than others. All you accomplish by complaining is make it less likely the other people will be allowed to stay at home.

I never said I complained to my MOE or school or anything. Complaining on here isn't going to change anything for those lucky people.

Offline redleader123

• Veteran
« Reply #642 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
I was lesson planning very hard for the first 2 days of my deskwarming... and as you can imagine, this was done at my computer. I was then sent a message on the 2nd day by my CT to say that the VP rang her to ask what I was doing. And I must work very hard. And that he's always watching me. Does anyone know what this means? Because if I'm already lesson planning I don't know what else I can do to "work hard"? Oh and my CT has bad terrible English and isn't here anyway to ask. I tought it was strange because I actually done nothing else except lesson plan.
Stay hungry. Stay foolish. Jobs (2005)

Offline rdstockt9

• Newgookin
« Reply #643 on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
I cant  believe its still going on.

Offline sweetjane2011

• Super Waygook
« Reply #644 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »
Just eaten a whole bag of cookies  :-[
Anyone else get the munchies when you're desk warming?!

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #645 on: February 13, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

if we sign the same contract why do i teach at 5 schools while other people only teach at 1?

if we sign the same contract why do i teach all 3 school levels while other people only teach 1?

if we sign the same contract why do i teach after school classes while other people don't?

if we sign the same contract why do i have a 1-room while some other people have 3-bedroom apartments?

if we sign the same contract why did i get placed out in the sticks in my province while other people got placed in the cities with all the conveniences that provides?

i could go on but I'm sure you get my point. the fact is that even though we sign the same contracts, everyone's individual situation differs because every school differs. if you're unhappy with deskwarming then take it up with your co-teacher or VP.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #646 on: February 13, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
I've never understood the keenness of some people to complain about being paid to do nothing.
In the past, I made bare attempts to deskwarm, but I always left the school by lunch and didn't come back. Finally, I stopped going in at all. Sure, once a co-teacher called me to see where I am, but what are they going to do? Fire me because I don't want to sit in an empty building and do nothing?

ha, i've done exactly the same thing this week. trudged through waist-high snow to get to the bus stop on Monday, took a bus ride of death across roads covered in 2-3 inches of ice, then trudged through more waist-deep snow to get into the school only to find that no-one was there but the admin lady. i sorted out some admin stuff i needed to do, replied to some emails, and then at lunch time i decided screw this, i'm going home. i haven't been back since. told the admin lady i was going home for lunch. turned out to be a week-long lunch  :laugh:

i've yet to get a phone call, kakao message, or anything from anyone at my school asking where i am. given the fact we've had over 1 meter of snow here i doubt they even know i haven't been in because i seriously doubt any of the other teachers have bothered to come in, especially since our school is back on vacation now after graduation last week.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »

if we sign the same contract why do i teach at 5 schools while other people only teach at 1?

if we sign the same contract why do i teach all 3 school levels while other people only teach 1?

if we sign the same contract why do i teach after school classes while other people don't?

if we sign the same contract why do i have a 1-room while some other people have 3-bedroom apartments?

if we sign the same contract why did i get placed out in the sticks in my province while other people got placed in the cities with all the conveniences that provides?

i could go on but I'm sure you get my point. the fact is that even though we sign the same contracts, everyone's individual situation differs because every school differs. if you're unhappy with deskwarming then take it up with your co-teacher or VP.

I get all those points. I don't agree with them either. Thus, the MOE/POE's need to step up and actually regulate like they are supposed to. I didn't sign a contract with my school. I signed it with the OE. If they want everyone to do diff shiz then make us sign contracts with the schools. At least that was we would all know what we are getting into.

Offline BELTA

• Adventurer
  • Check out The BELTA Blog
« Reply #648 on: May 19, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »
Deskwarming - An Infographic

check out more on http://www.blackeltabroad.com
We are all energy, make yours positive!
http://www.blackeltabroad.com

(Get $5 off your first purchase at www.iHerb.com with Coupon Code IVO319)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #649 on: November 20, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
Can't you watch a movie or something?  Download some pop that $h!t in there and you're good to go!

Offline ohitsgary

• Veteran
Desk-warming during spring vacation?
« Reply #650 on: December 22, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
So, I've just been told by my ct that I may have to desk warm during the spring vacation, which seems crazy. My school is currently undergoing some (bad) changes due to the new Principal and VP.

Has anyone experienced this in school or am I the only one?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:48:49 PM by ohitsgary »

Offline country09

• Expert Waygook
Re: Desk-warming during spring vacation?!
« Reply #651 on: December 22, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »
Crazy? Are you not allowed to use your vacation days then? You are given 10 days vacation. If you have already used them then there is nothing crazy about you having to work. It used to be a lot more relaxed back in the day but not anymore. Desk warm everyday you don't have camp or are on vacation is the norm now. You will find the occasional VP that will let you stay home but they are rare.

Offline Jet0716

• Veteran
« Reply #652 on: December 22, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Yha it happens.  My school has me teach a 4 hour English camp and then just chill out.  So i normally take a long lunch break and then head up to the English room, which only i use, and watch movies or play video games.

Offline drgenderpotato

• Expert Waygook
  • butts
« Reply #653 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
lol at people complaining about deskwarming.

I will trade you the lack of spring vacation that I am blessed with.

Please.

I will trade.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

YoungMin

« Reply #654 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
Thought this was standard protocol.

Offline jeremydc808

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #655 on: December 22, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Stop complaining. These are the types of threads that make me wonder about people's (home country) work ethic.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #656 on: December 22, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
I'm in the same boat and like most here I thought deskwarming was the norm.

I have a few friends who are allowed to "work from home" and some that have to deskwarm. I heard that back in the day lots of people complained so they made it standard (or tried) that everyone had to work.

I'm not too fussed, i'd probably just be watching movies and napping at home anyway so might as well do it with school's electricity and not mine  ;D look on the bright side OP. Do a course or something online...

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #657 on: December 22, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
Stop complaining. These are the types of threads that make me wonder about people's (home country) work ethic.

People in my home country aren't required to come in and do naff all for a couple of weeks. Teachers are trusted to do the work they need to do in the vacation.

Personally I loathe deskwarming but I am aware that too much whining might result in being given something to do. Experience suggests it won't anything remotely worthwhile.

Offline Chicagohotdog

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Ketchup? Get outta here!
« Reply #658 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
Thought this was standard protocol.

It is.

I guess OP just got lucky and was given the time off previously, but most teachers spend Spring Vacation deskwarming.  I feel like it is a plot to make you look forward to the beginning of the new school year for something to do.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

Offline Mstrom

• Adventurer
« Reply #659 on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
"I have to go to work when there is no work for me to do and I'm still getting paid! I'm going to sit here and complain about it on the internet instead of doing something productive with my free work time like study a new language or subject, improve my skills or work on personal projects. Woe is me."