September 24, 2018, 02:47:19 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Deskwarming FAQ/Thread [MEGA THREAD]  (Read 257706 times)

Offline taingray

• Veteran
Re: Desk Warming Ideas and Rants
« Reply #620 on: July 19, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Has anyone ever had this happen during deskwarming time? My co-teacher thinks that during the week before camp, when I need to actually make the materials and stuff FOR camp, that I am absolutely required to have 20 hours of other work to do. The contract says that during vacations I can be asked to teach or go to teacher training up to 20 hours a week. She is interpreting this as, even if there are days with no camp and no training, I still need to be given 20 hours worth of other stuff to do. I basically told her no way, since I'll need to spend that one deskwarming week planning camp, and then the week after camp is my vacation. Gah.

She's probably just off-loaded her work.  Some KTs are quite adept at it.

I actually won't have a single desk-warming day during summer vacation, they scheduled camp for all the days, right up to the day before school starts.

There goes all of my plans for making a huge leap forward in online classes : /.

Yeah, I think you're right that she just wants to dump her work on me. She's done it before, to me and to other Korean teachers. Whatevs; I'm gonna politely refuse/tell her to suck it. I only have a month left on this contract.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #621 on: July 19, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Beautiful work ethic  :rolleyes:

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
Beautiful work ethic  :rolleyes:

Sorry, but in this case, it has nothing to do with my work ethic. She has given me so much other nonsense work to do that I simply will not have the time to plan camp. Some examples of nonsense work: dumping a pile of Korean textbooks on my desk and demanding that I make up a spreadsheet/table comparing and contrasting them because SHE is in charge of choosing a new textbook next year (my Korean skills are limited to simple conversation and I was expected to review these books?!); expecting ME and my husband, who is Korean to figure out how to hire the new native teacher who will replace me, including navigating the Korean visa process for the new teacher and figuring out all the documents he needs, because she is too incompetent and lazy to do it herself and refuses to hire a recruiter; etc. The list goes on. I feel I have good reason to refuse to do this type of work for her. This woman is absurd.

In conclusion... get off your high horse.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:10:16 PM by taingray »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2013, 11:48:42 PM »
Ah, well if the work is clearly outside of what your contract requires of you, then that's different.

I've read a lot of posts lately complaining about things that they most definitely *are* required to do, and that really irritates me; I apologize if this isn't the case with you.

And I like my high horse... the view is nice from up here...

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
« Reply #624 on: July 22, 2013, 07:58:51 AM »
Anyone mind if I open these potato chips?

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #625 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
Ah, well if the work is clearly outside of what your contract requires of you, then that's different.

I've read a lot of posts lately complaining about things that they most definitely *are* required to do, and that really irritates me; I apologize if this isn't the case with you.

And I like my high horse... the view is nice from up here...

Ha, sorry I got a bit sassy there. I didn't mean to sound totally b*tchy; my co-t has just been irritating me so much recently with her random requests and demands that I immediately got a little too defensive. Sorry about that, and no hard feelings I hope!

Offline mikeD

• Super Waygook
Desk warming
« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
For those who are middle school teachers, what are you doing to preoccupy your time this week during exams? I work on my blog, chat a whole lot and walk around as much as possible. I also spend a little time on duolingo.com working on my French. What are you doing to prevent you from dying of boredom?

Offline WestMeetsEast

• Expert Waygook
Re: Desk warming
« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
There's a huge post for this somewhere.

I'm working on my graduate school application, organizing an education event, lesson planning for after this week and will probably work on my Korean.

Tues/Wed is exams, Thurs = national holiday and Friday = sandwich school closure.

Offline lee233

• Super Waygook
  • Some people's kids (sigh)
« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »
I watch Netflix, read through CNN, BBC, and Al Jazeera, go through buzz feed, message friends back home, grab coffee with some of my fellow teachers, do reasearch on teaching in the middle east, read my kindle, listen to audio books, listen to radio stations from home, play one of my myriad of phone apps, and review what I am doing in Japan over this long weekend. That about sums it up.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #629 on: September 30, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
I plot to take over the world.

I know you guys will have my back when the plan comes into fruition, wait for the signal...

Offline morgainenyl

• Veteran
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
You guys are lucky. Because my school started 4 days late, they pushed the exams back two weeks, to the 14th-16th. I'm also not getting the sandwich day off  :sad:

And I'll probably have to spend a fair amount of that time lesson planning too, but that's just cause I've been lazy lately.  :undecided:

Offline Aqvm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
My school had exams last week. My school requires two teachers to administer the tests so I spent Wednesday and Friday standing around watching kids do math. Friday afternoon I had two regular classes after exams. The fun never ends around here.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
Worst deskwarming of all time?
« Reply #632 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »
My camp this week and next was pushed back until after the amazing and oh so needed 2 week february classes. So this week and next I am to deskwarm.

There is a slight problem in my eyes, however. That being that 80% of the schools windows and doors are missing. Yes, MISSING. They are installing new ones. I am in the teachers room to "work". Only two other teachers are here at the moment. (neither of them head teachers or my CoT's) I am unsure if I can go up to my office as all the doors on the upper floors are closed as there is construction going on. I also get to listen to all sorts of cutting, drilling, bangning, etc. I can't access my network folder as it is tied to my coT computer. I have nothing to really do down here. Then, to top it off, it is freezing in here and there is no heat. (surprise!!!!!!)

I am hoping this snow gets into all the hallways and classrooms and causes such decay from water/moisutre they have to bulldoze the school in the next couple months. A guy can dream right?

What is your worst deskwarming situation?

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: Worst deskwarming of all time?
« Reply #633 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
Korean logic at its finest, make the evil foreigner come and deskwarm in a building with no doors and windows, makes you feel kind of special doesn't it?   :undecided:

Not a deskwarming story but a camp story. Last year this time they replaced all the classroom doors, the first day of camp they came and ripped out the doors, this took about 3 days to do for the entire school so I was trying to teach in a freezing classroom with no doors and had to compete with the banging and carting away of the smashed doors (yes, they smashed them to pieces, one doesn't want to have someone actually using perfectly good doors again, you know).

They then departed and I had to complete the camp for 3 weeks sans doors.

Actually, the doors they replaced were better than the one's we have now, again, logic at its finest.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #634 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:50 AM »
Definitely last year at my rural public school where they never let me turn on the heater in my office. Needless to say, it was freezing cold whenever I was at school that whole winter.

During my first winter at my first public school in Korea several years ago, the cafeteria was undergoing renovations. Unfortunately, the cafeteria happened to be right under the English classroom/my office, so it was extremely noisy. I had to teach camp during all that noise, and had to deal with it for deskwarming after the camp finished. Not ideal, to say the least.

Offline EvilToast

• Super Waygook
« Reply #635 on: January 20, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »
2 years ago, I came into my class to find that they'd taken out all the windows, and the class was a total mess (cement, ladders and various construction equipment everywhere). It was late Autumn, as well, and there was a construction worker busy with a hammer and drill outside the window... My CT, who was also the department head (and less than useless in English), was adamant that I teach in this class!
I got through the "lesson". At the end of the day (Friday), I asked her if the class would be in order by Monday. She said "Don't worry, not your job, cleaners will clean it weekend"....

On Monday, the class is the same. She sees this and runs to other teachers, who spend the first period helping me clean up the class. I notice that the other teachers are giving me the evil eye????
Later, I learn that the CT told the other teachers that she told me to make arrangements to have the class cleaned by Monday, and I didn't do it! As luck would have it, that b#*%# would start a 6-month training program on that day and she pulled a Houdini. So, I was stuck with weeks of bad vibes. Good times.

Offline waterfall12

• Super Waygook
Re: The Official Deskwarming Thread
« Reply #636 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
The perverts guide to ideology is a good doc to watch if youre bored this afternoon.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #637 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:12 PM »
Do you all really hate desk warming?? It's a serious question. I ask because even though in my former school I never did it and that was great, now that I am at a hagwon, I am looking forward (after the hagwon) to the prospect of desk warming, it's not a vacation for sure but as of now I have absolutely no time to dedicate to my grad program which I fear I am failing. Had I been in a PS I know I would've had more time to dedicate to it. So desk warming vs. 26 hours a week of non-stop teaching year round? I'll take desk warming.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline moc-moc-a-moc!

• Super Waygook
« Reply #638 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:35 AM »
Do you all really hate desk warming?? It's a serious question. I ask because even though in my former school I never did it and that was great, now that I am at a hagwon, I am looking forward (after the hagwon) to the prospect of desk warming, it's not a vacation for sure but as of now I have absolutely no time to dedicate to my grad program which I fear I am failing. Had I been in a PS I know I would've had more time to dedicate to it. So desk warming vs. 26 hours a week of non-stop teaching year round? I'll take desk warming.

I've never understood the keenness of some people to complain about being paid to do nothing.

Oh no, my precious ~productivity~ is being held back by wacky Korean logic!

Don't act like otherwise you'd be out scaling Kilimanjaro. If you're that bored, read a book.

Offline gtrain83

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #639 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »

I've never understood the keenness of some people to complain about being paid to do nothing.

Oh no, my precious ~productivity~ is being held back by wacky Korean logic!

Don't act like otherwise you'd be out scaling Kilimanjaro. If you're that bored, read a book.

It's less about doing nothing than doing nothing while its 0 degrees inside the building, or when they are doing construction, or when you are there alone, or all the other dumb things that happen while doing it. Trust me I have no problem being paid to do nothing but at least let me do it in my apartment where I can be warm.

Plus, if we sign the same contract, why am I sitting at school freezing and alone while they are at home (or on extended vacation)?

Edit: by they I mean other NETs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:16:50 PM by gtrain83 »